New to Splatoon

Bread

Inkling
NNID
Iceformation
I just bought Splatoon yesterday, I'm currently level 12 and I don't know what I should be doing. I want to grind to 20, but I cant seem to do much, I did the story mode to the third boss to get the Aerospray MG/RG but I'm not doing very good with them, I'm still getting much XP. What should I work on doing/getting in order to start getting better at the game, I want to go into Ranked mode but I'm skeptical and holding it off till level 20, which seems like a good idea.

Kayeka

Pro Squid
NNID
Kayeka
Well, for starters, experiment with weapons. The Aerospray is good for grinding experience and money, but it's applications are actually quite limited. Check out the other weapons that you like the sound of, and try to learn with them. Even if you decide not to stick with them, getting familiar with a variety of weapons will help you understand the strengths and weaknesses of the weapons your opponents will use.

Keep in mind that points in Turf Wars are not actually a great way of gauging how good you are doing. It only tells you how much turf you've covered, but covering turf is useless if you can't hold on to it. Instead of points, try to keep track of your win rate.

You might also want to finish the single player. It is a nice low-pressure environment to get familiar with the controls, it unlocks some very useful weapons, and it has a pretty darn cool final boss.

Other than that, well, I suppose the best advice I can give you without watching you play or more specific questions is to look around this forum, and to learn from people you see while playing. Look up capable players on Youtube, learn the usual sniper nests, how to get to the middle of the stage the fastest, the best ways to utilise cover. All these tiny details that you'll refine with experience.

Welcome to the game. good luck and have fun!

JuddTheCat

Inkling Cadet
Single Player is basically like a very long tutorial. Really there is no weapon that is better than the other, they all do their own thing.

Rollers and the Ink Brush work pretty well if you don't know how to aim, and want to cover a lot of floor. Krak on roller is the most hated/better roller.

The sprayers cover a lot of ground, medium range, kills pretty good especially if you sneak up on someone and shoot them really close.

The sniper one will kill instantly with a direct hit, shoots the farthest, but you need incredible aim to do that.

Weapons aren't the only thing you need to master though, you need a lot of strategy and tactics that require squid form. The guides in this site can really help you if you need it. http://squidboards.com/guides/

Bread

Inkling
NNID
Iceformation
@JuddTheCat Are there any unlockables in the single-player that will be of benefit inside of multiplayer? I already got the Aerospray, so that's out of the way but anything else, really?

@The Apple BOOM Is the inkbrush a good weapon to use offensively, at least in your opinion, there's a lot of debate and it looks like an interesting weapon, but I haven't used it becasue I'm focused more on hitting level 20 and being able to test everything all at once than testing it through the levels

Kayeka

Pro Squid
NNID
Kayeka
Is the inkbrush a good weapon to use offensively, at least in your opinion, there's a lot of debate and it looks like an interesting weapon, but I haven't used it becasue I'm focused more on hitting level 20 and being able to test everything all at once than testing it through the levels
Depends on your definition of "offensively". The ink brush is a hit-and-run weapon that's very heavy on the run. You'll be constantly looking for openings to flank your enemies, capturing territory behind their backs and generally be a giant nuisance. You will not, however, be fighting anybody head-on. Or at least, you won't be winning that fight.

Bread

Inkling
NNID
Iceformation
Depends on your definition of "offensively". The ink brush is a hit-and-run weapon that's very heavy on the run. You'll be constantly looking for openings to flank your enemies, capturing territory behind their backs and generally be a giant nuisance. You will not, however, be fighting anybody head-on. Or at least, you won't be winning that fight.
Alright. because I was kinda looking at the Inkbrush as a main. I don't know though, I'm mixed between that and maybe a charger of some sort, or a midrange sprayer so I can be offensive, since I feel like is super fun to do in this game because of the movement options.

JuddTheCat

Inkling Cadet
@JuddTheCat Are there any unlockables in the single-player that will be of benefit inside of multiplayer? I already got the Aerospray, so that's out of the way but anything else, really?
You get a weapon blueprint after every boss.
Boss 1 = Custom Splattershot Jr.
Boss 2 = Kelp Splat Charger
Boss 3 = Aerospray RG/MG
Boss 4 = New Squiffer
Final Boss = Dynamo Roller and Gold Dynamo Roller

You can also get the Hero Replicas (Shot, Charger, and Roller) by doing Amiibo challenges.

Really, you can skip searching the Sunken Scrolls in normal stages, they don't give you anything outside of multiplayer, so you can speed through stages.

The Apple BOOM

Senior Squid
NNID
TheAppleBOOM
The ink brush is a great offensive weapon, and it one of the only two main weapons in the game that gets a relevant boost from Damage Up. You want to run around unpredictably until you can get in close enough. Remember you can move while swinging, and don't approach into your opponent's line of fire.

Bread

Inkling
NNID
Iceformation
The ink brush is a great offensive weapon, and it one of the only two main weapons in the game that gets a relevant boost from Damage Up. You want to run around unpredictably until you can get in close enough. Remember you can move while swinging, and don't approach into your opponent's line of fire.
Would it be good in the competitive scene (assuming there will be one)

The Apple BOOM

Senior Squid
NNID
TheAppleBOOM
Would it be good in the competitive scene (assuming there will be one)
I have a friend who is actually interested in possibly maining the Ink Brush competitively. He's the second best Algol in SCV right now, and he gets good at anything he does. It can harass and disorient so well that I can't see it not being good, not to mention its great ability to both cut off ink trails and make its own.

Short answer is yes.

If you're interested in ramblings and random thoughts I and others in my group have about the Ink Brush, we streamed our discussion on it for 2 hours the day it came out.

KEWB

Inkling
NNID
KEWB99
I feel the .52 gals strike a good balance between damage, range, and ink coverage if you can get used to the lower rate of fire. I'm no pro though, so take that for what it's worth. There are a lot of very viable weapons in this game.

Bread

Inkling
NNID
Iceformation
I have a friend who is actually interested in possibly maining the Ink Brush competitively. He's the second best Algol in SCV right now, and he gets good at anything he does. It can harass and disorient so well that I can't see it not being good, not to mention its great ability to both cut off ink trails and make its own.

Short answer is yes.

If you're interested in ramblings and random thoughts I and others in my group have about the Ink Brush, we streamed our discussion on it for 2 hours the day it came out.
Thank you for that, I also heard that its very useful to ambush with or just sneak up in your own ink and attack since itll throw them off, and kill fairly quick if you mash the button fast enough, is that true?

The Apple BOOM

Senior Squid
NNID
TheAppleBOOM
Thank you for that, I also heard that its very useful to ambush with or just sneak up in your own ink and attack since itll throw them off, and kill fairly quick if you mash the button fast enough, is that true?
If you don't hit them head on or very obviously, the reaction time needed to fire back is pretty much impossible, but I can see it being done at the high level maybe. That's more something we need to feel out over time, but it is currently looking like it is very disorienting and semi unreactable.

Bread

Inkling
NNID
Iceformation
If you don't hit them head on or very obviously, the reaction time needed to fire back is pretty much impossible, but I can see it being done at the high level maybe. That's more something we need to feel out over time, but it is currently looking like it is very disorienting and semi unreactable.
Alright cool, thanks for your input!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom