Ninja squid ability

Rellek

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RellekEarth
I kind of agree. As great as NS is, it's nearly impossible to get consistently good results with it and it's all because of one damn special. So from a competitive stand point, CB is probably the best way to go. It's really disappointing that the weapons that could benefit the most from NS are simultaneously punished the hardest from echolocator. This is just one of the many design flaws of an otherwise great game. Until at least one of the 2 abilities is available on headgear and/or shoes NS will never truely shine in the competitive scene.
Say what you will but Echolocator is a great balancer in this game. Prevents ninja squids from ripping through absolutely everyone. It not only helps the 3k litre pin down foes, it can work in reverse, alerting the rollers and shooters to the potential locations of chargers and take a more cautious approach to advancing.

Knowledge is power bro.

karl childers

Full Squid
Say what you will but Echolocator is a great balancer in this game. Prevents ninja squids from ripping through absolutely everyone. It not only helps the 3k litre pin down foes, it can work in reverse, alerting the rollers and shooters to the potential locations of chargers and take a more cautious approach to advancing.

Knowledge is power bro.
NS (ninja squid) comes with a 15% speed reduction. It takes the equivalent of 2 mains of swim speed up just to return to normal speed (which is already kind of slow). And as much as i like NS, the usefulness of stealth swim is still rather situational since in most cases there will be blobs of enemy ink in your way of the opponent. It would be a niche ability even if there were no echolocators in the game since most players would be put off by the brutal speed reduction of NS, the limited usefulness of stealth swim in general and would simply rather have the advantages of other abilities instead. And as a testament to its limitations observe how players using NS aren't "ripping through absolutely everyone" in matches where there aren't any echolocators being used. You will see that NS is not overpowered at all. Echolocators are fair in most cases, but it can absolutely destroy the meta-game for some very short-range weapons (most notably brushes) not using CB in top competitive gameplay. For some weapons, you either have to kill yourself or run & hide for 14 seconds. At least with other specials you have a chance to outplay your opponent. This is why i wish CB (Cold Blooded) was available to other types of gear since echolocator spam makes ninja squid, recon, and haunt not optional for those few weapons that need CB to be tournament viable.

Last edited:

Nero86

Inkling Cadet
NNID
nero86
After the nerf I did change it for Cold-Blooded, having to sacrifice abilities to swim properly and risking being echolocated is not an option to my playstyle.
I'm an Octobrusher that plays stealthy, losing this freedom for all those seconds disturbs me.

Rellek

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RellekEarth
NS (ninja squid) comes with a 15% speed reduction. It takes the equivalent of 2 mains of swim speed up just to return to normal speed (which is already kind of slow). And as much as i like NS, the usefulness of stealth swim is still rather situational since in most cases there will be blobs of enemy ink in your way of the opponent. It would be a niche ability even if there were no echolocators in the game since most players would be put off by the brutal speed reduction of NS, the limited usefulness of stealth swim in general and would simply rather have the advantages of other abilities instead. And as a testament to its limitations observe how players using NS aren't "ripping through absolutely everyone" in matches where there aren't any echolocators being used. You will see that NS is not overpowered at all. Echolocators are fair in most cases, but it can absolutely destroy the meta-game for some very short-range weapons (most notably brushes) not using CB in top competitive gameplay. For some weapons, you either have to kill yourself or run & hide for 14 seconds. At least with other specials you have a chance to outplay your opponent. This is why i wish CB (Cold Blooded) was available to other types of gear since echolocator spam makes ninja squid, recon, and haunt not optional for those few weapons that need CB to be tournament viable.
That's probably why they have it set up like that though. So that an inkling can't be essentially invisible for an entire match.

And btw, you can ninja squid without the use of the actual ability. A combination of accelerating and decelerating just short of max swim speed mimics the ninja squid ability. Maybe put some effort into learning that.

karl childers

Full Squid
That's probably why they have it set up like that though. So that an inkling can't be essentially invisible for an entire match.
If you think NS makes you invisible for an entire match then i don't think you've ever used it. You're only invisible when swimming. More often than not if an opponent has seen you then they know your position will be limited to the body of ink you're swimming in and will start shooting at your body of ink until they hit you - which is often what they'll do regardless if you're using NS or not since visible swim streams can often be hard to trace. Also, lets not forget the enormous speed reduction of NS. If that's not a fair trade-off, I don't know what is.

Let's be serious here. If the advantages of NS were really that huge then basically everyone would be using it and echolocators would be getting spammed right and left just to combat it.

And btw, you can ninja squid without the use of the actual ability. A combination of accelerating and decelerating just short of max swim speed mimics the ninja squid ability. Maybe put some effort into learning that.
I do this with other builds that I use, but often the mobility is much slower than NS with maxed out swim speed. If I felt it truly achieved the same effect as my NS/Swim Speed build then I probably would've dropped NS by now.

Last edited:

Rellek

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RellekEarth
Let's be serious here. If the advantages of NS were really that huge then basically everyone would be using it and echolocators would be getting spammed right and left just to combat it.
But earlier you made it sound like eccholocators WERE getting spammed left and right. From my own personal experience, that is definitely the case. As a Dual Squelcher main, I add to the chaos but I've seen a great many Elitres, Zap 85s and Dynamos doing the same thing.

karl childers

Full Squid
But earlier you made it sound like eccholocators WERE getting spammed left and right. From my own personal experience, that is definitely the case. As a Dual Squelcher main, I add to the chaos but I've seen a great many Elitres, Zap 85s and Dynamos doing the same thing.
They're not getting spammed left and right in every match, but there are some matches where they are. E-liter 3K and Dynamos are 2 of the most popular weapons so getting echolocated is not uncommon at all. It is a popular special weapon and highly effective, but they're not being used solely to counter ninja squids since most players don't use that ability.

Last edited:

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Ninja Squid was nerfed for a reason. LOTS of people used it before the speed nerf, which is what precipitated the nerf to begin with.

Unfortunately, the nerf was a bit too heavy handed, imo.

karl childers

Full Squid
Echolocator and Haunt is being reduced from 12 seconds to 9 seconds with the next patch. A minor victory for us ninja squids!

Cake or Death

Full Squid
NNID
McProle
I remember early on in Splatoon, Ninja Squid was the perk to have. You weren't nobody unless you were running that Ninja Squid.

karl childers

Full Squid
I remember early on in Splatoon, Ninja Squid was the perk to have. You weren't nobody unless you were running that Ninja Squid.
Same could be said about Cold Blooded. But with it, along with echolocators, getting nerfed, it probably won't be overcentralized as Ninja Squid and Ink Resistance once were. The game is almost balanced with this next patch. If only Sm4sh was making this kind of progress.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom