• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Octo Lab - OOC/Intro Thread

Rustic

Inkling Commander
OOOOH BOY! Another RP has popped up, and one that might seem familiar to some of the Old Guard here.

Greetings and welcome to the new and improved Octo Lab!
"Two years in the future, a rapid series of squid/kidnappings have been appearing throughout Inkopolis, at first it was the unfortunate, an impoverished citizen here and there, but then it gradually increased to Turf War participants as the abductions slowed down but were still present, spreading to the rest of the denizens of Inkopolis. Turf War Newbies or Veterans, shop owners, none were spared.

Deep inside Octo Valley, a sprawling facility lay within, the source of all the kidnappings. The people who were taken woke up in a small room, lacking any kind of furniture except a bed, a table and a chair.

A small object jabbed their side, getting up to see a small cylindrical container on their hip. An Ink tank, one that had a small obsidian orb on the top of it. A dim light glowed from within, slowly expanding. It resembled an eye, like from a certain movie, the fuchsia eye darted around looking at the person, as if it was judging them.

Each finally stopped eyeing their individual, staring them dead in the eye. “Greetings! I am your assigned OOPA, designed to serve you to the best of my capabilities. I’m designed to store Ink and to answer any questions you may have!” It explained, outside there were multiple echoes of the same voice.

“Welcome to Sunburst Inkling, a division of the Octarian Institute of Technology and Science!”"

And that’s that for monologues and general overviews! :)

GM-to-Player interaction!

The way it’s meant to be played! The GM(Me) will create a post with your @tag designating the spoiler underneath to be yours, once the GM posts it, you will have to respond within the date that it’s written on.

I give you a set date to post before a deadline. You respond, do an action within the post and then once everyone posts, the GM will respond once again and give you another deadline to post before! Of course, if you cannot post due to your own reasons, feel free to tell me on Discord(can't really give it right here, y'know) or PM me here on Squidboards and I’ll just autopilot you to the best of my ability. Don’t worry, you won’t die. You can definitely trust me. :D

Another thing is the OOPA, or Octoling Operator Personal Assistant!
A way of help, a task manager, a strategist, your guiding light! The ultimate in personal assistance for anyone! The OOPA is the best in what it does! Give advice, tell jokes, raise your spirits, and even provide common sense! Keep in mind their common sense is not always common. There are also hidden effects from certain things that may influence the GM’s responses/scenario assigned to you, the player! They may not be readily apparent now, but soon… soon, you will know of its plans.
As for the player’s post, it can be as long as your heart desires. However, bonus points to those who detail their posts with more than 1 or 2 lines.

An example of the good stuff, man.
Yourne looked around the small room, the acrid smell of smoke drifting upward from the fallen robot. Its chest was cleaved open, revealing a variety of circuits. Some still spat out sparks, but it was a smoking wreck nonetheless.

He walked over to it, kneeling down he held his sleeve over his face. Picking around the robot, he looked for an item that the strange robot he met in the Robotics section of the lab asked for.

[Action: Search for the orange box]

As opposed to this.
Yourne looked around the robot and looked for a box.
An orange box is what that other robot wanted, so he went to go look for it.

[Action: Search robot][

Now, since I’m getting onto actions. There are two types of actions, well, aside from the actual actions your character does. There are GM Post actions and Instant Response actions, the former simply ends your turn once posted, while the latter will be explained one paragraph later. GM Post actions will be responded to in the next GM post, which will arrive on the day of the deadline, earlier if everyone responds.
Instant Response actions are mainly used when you want to gather more information, or perform an action to better your chances against a potential foe, or search for something. The GM will respond soon after they see it, after they reply you can do your next action.

Turn-Ending actions
Talk... (Talk with the person) - Will be responded to in GM post, only to NPCs. However, PCs will have to respond on their time to each other. They must post on here, not in PMs.
Attack with... (Attack with the intention of starting a fight) - Will be responded to in GM post.
Use... (Use something, state on how you're using it. Lest it be unclear and your result won't be what you want.) - Will be responded to in GM post.
Go to/Move to... (Go somewhere, name it. Move somewhere, name it. Else I won't know where and may just arbitrarily pick your next destination.) - Will be responded to in GM post.

Insta-Response Actions
Hide at... (Hide somewhere, use it to evade detection.) - Will be responded to instantly.
Grab... (Grab an item, compliments hiding in cover.) - Will be responded to instantly.
Fix... (Attempt to fix a computer, broken down robot, or weapon.) - Will be responded to instantly.
Examine... (Take a more in-depth look at an object or person.) - Will be responded to instantly.
Shadow... (Follow someone close behind while hiding) - Will be responded to instantly.
Approach... (Approach to interact with a CaST.) - Will be responded to instantly.
Throw... (Throw an object, it can a rock, a vial, a broken gun, etc. To grab something's attention, however it needs to be logical. No objects appearing out of thin air. Can start a fight.) - Will be responded to instantly.

You can always request to add new actions of course! Just provide a reason to add it in and I’ll see to it that it’ll be added in.

Combat manual!
The Player within the game has a set amount of HP, which is 6. That HP amount can be quickly whittled down by various enemies. People, Infected, and even Robots will seek to defeat you and incur a ‘game over.’ More on that later in the explanation.

Battles!: Battle formats are relatively simple. The player(s) have the first action, since it will likely mean an unfair battle if the player moved last. After the player moves, the opponent will do their action, and then the cycle repeats.
An example of Combat would be...
"Aw... carp." In a frantic rush, Terence found himself in a dead end, with nary a vent to squid through. Looking around, it seemed to be a storage room, shelves were positioned against the walls with boxes on them, and the Sentry Bot chasing him was coming in fast. Quickly, he pulled down a shelf to form an impromptu cover placement.

The door locked by his benefactor started to budge as the robot on the other side pounded on it, eventually, it jabbed its hand through and wrenched the groaning door open. It revved up its over-sized Splatling, aiming the minigun at him.

"This ain't good," he mumbled as he glanced down at his Octoshot, feeling woefully inadequate against his enemy's Splatling.
Terence Colovance's HP: 6/6
Weapon: Octoshot.
Sub-Weapon: Splat Bomb
Weapon Ability: Hail of Ink
Ink Amount: 75%

Sentry Bot's HP: 10
Chance to Hit: 55%

‘Safety’ in numbers!: Since the first thing a person might want to do when they’re surrounded by death machines that shoot acidic liquids and monsters that’ll eat you alive is cling to another person and scream helplessly, if you're so inclined. But there are numerous buffs to reward your clinginess! Stacking as more players band together to fight and explore the laboratory and potentially escape it. However, the more players there are, the more foes you’ll attract, namely the Emerald Afflicted. They will be scaled to be better suited to fighting groups, gaining more HP(ex: +2 to +5), which with the combined DPS and your own luck can easily destroy! But, the enemies will also hunt the players in packs.

‘Game over’; Once your HP hits 0, if it somehow does because you decided to bite off more than you could chew or maybe got really unlucky, if you’re in a group, you’ll go into a DOWNED state. Once put in that state, you’ll be considered UNCONSCIOUS and are unable to do any actions. If you’re alone, depending on the enemy, they may decide to leave you alone. Robots will typically just incapacitate the player and bring you to the nearest infirmary/prison-like area. Emerald Afflicted, if they win, have a chance to inflict a permanent debuff on the player. Once put in the ‘down’ state, teammates can help you up and put you back in the fight, which takes up 1 AP.
After the battle, the player will simply drag themself back up and dust themself off for another go. No permadeath here.

Speaking of AP, AP stands for Action Points. Which is the amount of moves you could do in a single turn, all players start with 2 AP. Early game it might consist of a lot of running, but that is to be expected as a pair of fists can't do much against metal, mutated people, and possibly trained and armored personnel. Or can it?
Seriously, a good kick to a robotic squid's best friend can send it running. Like, how?

Evasion: Reduces the attacker’s chance of hitting by raising their defense, this increases defense by 10. Cannot be used in combination with ANY offensive ability.
Attack (Target) with (Weapon): Attack someone/something. Takes up 1 AP, cannot use twice or in the same turn with a sub/special item.
Use (Item) on (Target): Use a sub item on someone/something. Takes up 1 AP, cannot be used in the same turn with the main/special weapon.
Ink Area: Ink an area to slow/snare organic enemies. Robotic enemies are unaffected. Takes up 1 AP. May mess with certain foes’ ability to attack or run away, will also affect any foe’s ability to pursue the player. Chance to incur that penalty on enemies will reduce in consecutive combos of Ink Area + Run away!, so don’t spam that. You may just play yourself.
Retreat/Flee from Battle: Aborts the fight. However, the enemy will resume pursuit if they are able to.

And now with all that out of the way, the character sheet!
Name: [Your name here]
Race: [Inkling or Octoling? Or something else?]
Personality: [Your character’s personality, include negatives and positives and an overall explanation.]
Appearance: [What your character looks like and stuff, has no influence on the RP but it helps with a mental image, y’know? Tall, buff , skinny, chubby, average, white, black, hoodie, anything really. Pictures are also good.]
Backstory: [What made your character who they are? Defining events and turning points? Where did they grow up? Who was important in their life?]

Accepted applicants:
1. Zale Kai [MacSmitty]
2. Hunter Williston [Zerul]
3. Laura [Ikaheishi]
4. Raye Roselia [Devack]
5. Lunasia [IcySetsuna]

Last edited:

MacSmitty

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Seeker624
Name: [Zale Kai]
Race: [Inkling]
Personality: [Zale is confident, ****y, yet easy-going and a overall fun-loving Inkling. He has a tendency of messing and taunting with his opponents, and being a overall showoff when it comes to showing his skills, just like a shounen hero. Though unlike shounen heroes, he doesn't spend to much time playing with his food, and will finish things quickly or keep a close eye on his opponent. However, once backed into a corner, and during rather casual events his ****y little **** personality will fade to a more timid one for the former situation, and a more laid-back situation for the latter. Zale also holds some heroism in his heart, but with a more ****y way of saying it. Ex: "Don't worry, I handle these guys, they don't stand a chance against me!" ]
Appearance: [https://d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net/ss/WVW69j9OylEW_IDzD6
Zale also has a slender musclar build, kinda like Cloud Strife. He also has shounen spiky anime hair inspired by Gohan during the Cell Games and funny enough, when he has his special ready, his hair floats and spikes up in a Super Saiyan manner.]
Backstory: [What made your character who they are? Defining events and turning points? Where did they grow up? Who was important in their life?
Zale wasn't always the most ****y confident Inkling he is now. He grew up in a orphanage after his parents were splatted in a strange Ink explosion when he was 5 years old. The kids at the orphanage made fun of him due his pink color, and he with his timidness and lack of self confidence suffered in silence until he was adopted by a new family. Zale was adopted by professional comic writers and animators, and as he grew up in their household, they introduced him to shows/manga they've worked on, and Zale instantly grew to like the characters and in a effort to bring up his self confidence, he began to act like the characters in the shows/manga he read, which happen to be very popular shounen based shows, ie: letting out kiai yells like in DBZ, taunting opponents in a ****y manner during general Turf War and Ranked Battles, doing Power Rangers-esque poses, and overall just being plain stylish. Zale has skills to back-up his ****yness as he has some parkour skills and he has creative ways to use his weapons and clothing to help him deal with his foes. He has a close relationship with his adoptive parents, and admires their work in animation and drawing skills and sometimes takes lessons with the two.]

I will probably add more later, as I did this at very late time...

Rustic

Inkling Commander
Name: [Zale Kai]
Race: [Inkling]
Personality: [Zale is confident, ****y, yet easy-going and a overall fun-loving Inkling. He has a tendency of messing and taunting with his opponents, and being a overall showoff when it comes to showing his skills, just like a shounen hero. Though unlike shounen heroes, he doesn't spend to much time playing with his food, and will finish things quickly or keep a close eye on his opponent. However, once backed into a corner, and during rather casual events his ****y little **** personality will fade to a more timid one for the former situation, and a more laid-back situation for the latter. Zale also holds some heroism in his heart, but with a more ****y way of saying it. Ex: "Don't worry, I handle these guys, they don't stand a chance against me!" ]
Appearance: [https://d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net/ss/WVW69j9OylEW_IDzD6
Zale also has a slender musclar build, kinda like Cloud Strife. He also has shounen spiky anime hair inspired by Gohan during the Cell Games and funny enough, when he has his special ready, his hair floats and spikes up in a Super Saiyan manner.]
Backstory: [What made your character who they are? Defining events and turning points? Where did they grow up? Who was important in their life?
Zale wasn't always the most ****y confident Inkling he is now. He grew up in a orphanage after his parents were splatted in a strange Ink explosion when he was 5 years old. The kids at the orphanage made fun of him due his pink color, and he with his timidness and lack of self confidence suffered in silence until he was adopted by a new family. Zale was adopted by professional comic writers and animators, and as he grew up in their household, they introduced him to shows/manga they've worked on, and Zale instantly grew to like the characters and in a effort to bring up his self confidence, he began to act like the characters in the shows/manga he read, which happen to be very popular shounen based shows, ie: letting out kiai yells like in DBZ, taunting opponents in a ****y manner during general Turf War and Ranked Battles, doing Power Rangers-esque poses, and overall just being plain stylish. Zale has skills to back-up his ****yness as he has some parkour skills and he has creative ways to use his weapons and clothing to help him deal with his foes. He has a close relationship with his adoptive parents, and admires their work in animation and drawing skills and sometimes takes lessons with the two.]

I will probably add more later, as I did this at very late time...
Looks fine to me. You're in!

Zerul

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Mechasonic9000
Name: Hunter
Race: Inkling
Personality: A bit unstable due to his Split Personality. trys to remain calm and colective. Otherwise he is a bloodthirsty monster by the definition of the word.
Appearance: My AVI.
Backstory: the son of a police sargent. He usually likes to tinker with things. He works for Sheldon as a part time memeber to help repair people's weapons. He was recriuted into the New Squidbeak Platoon when his Grandfather's mask made him very unstable. Cuttlefish wanted to help Hunter get over his split personality. Not much progress has been made to stabilize the condition but Cuttlefish remains hopeful.

AND NO this will not affect the fanfic. I literally ripped him from the fanfic and threw him here.

Rustic

Inkling Commander
@Zerul
I would rather you didn't make him a carbon copy, seeing as how he can kinda... y'know... suddenly become superpowered just because his little mask wants him to, that part might need to be changed or outright removed.
Anyway, it's accepted.

Zerul

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Mechasonic9000
how can it be overpowered? XP i understand. if he does show up his strongest ability would be ignore pain. that would be it.

Rustic

Inkling Commander
@Zerul
Boi, I'm pretty we talked about on multiple occasions about the capabilities of 'Hunith'. So there is very little point in talking about that here.
Aside from that, I wonder how he'll be in-action.

Ikaheishi

Bobble-chan
Welp, I'm a bit late to the party, but guess who's back? :D
Name: Laura

Personality:
Cheerful, upbeat and playful, Laura loves adventure and is generally carefree. She loves making others laugh and smile, and cares deeply about the happiness of others. Laura enjoys drawing and participating in recreational turf wars, and she likes to work on short stories with her best friend Zoe. Laura is also musically inclined—when she's stressed, Laura will sometimes hum her favorite songs to help calm herself. Zoe particularly likes her singing; for fun together, they sometimes sing the songs of their favorite music group, the Squid Sisters.

Because of her family's past, Laura is weary of businessmen, and has an especially strong contempt for lawyers and politicians. This made worse when Zoe was arrested and charged for a crime she didn't commit, and Laura was compelled to testify against her. Laura also dislikes looking at—let alone having to touch—anything she perceives as dirty, a trait that doesn't combine well with insects, something Laura is very much afraid of.

Appearance:
Laura has light blue tentacles, and loves to wear her favorite bobble hat and green hoodie all the time.

(This wonderful artwork was created by divertspace!)

Backstory:
Laura comes from a relatively prominent and infamous family of businessmen, lawyers, and politicians. Laura feels ashamed of her family name and history, and hides any ties to her family that she can. She regards her older brother as cold and cruel and has been estranged from him ever since he embraced the family legacy. Because of this legacy, Laura desires to become better than her brother, and put the terrible history of her family behind her.
As always, if you have any questions @Rustic, feel free to ask me! :)

Rustic

Inkling Commander
@Ikaheishi @Zerul @MacSmitty

Since I have enough foresight to see that there's gonna be a long, long wait for our fourth. I'm gonna begin Octo Lab on Thursday. Which, as a heads up, will show you guys many of the things that the RP is capable of. Such as general introductions to combat, characters, and the like. However, I will be leaving two spots open for any newcomers into the RP.
There isn't much else I can say about that other then I hope I'll see you then.

MacSmitty

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Seeker624

Since I have enough foresight to see that there's gonna be a long, long wait for our fourth. I'm gonna begin Octo Lab on Thursday. Which, as a heads up, will show you guys many of the things that the RP is capable of. Such as general introductions to combat, characters, and the like. However, I will be leaving two spots open for any newcomers into the RP.
Oh Yeah! I'm looking forward to it!

Zerul

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Mechasonic9000
*charges up his Custom Kelp Splatter scope with extended range* Woomy!

Ikaheishi

Bobble-chan

*straightens out jacket, hat, and necktie*

Alright… Let's do this!

Devack

Inkling
NNID
LeagueofDevack
Oh, why not.

Name: Raye Roselia
Personality: Raye is an energetic and outgoing Inkling, with a kind heart. She loves competing whenever she gets a chance, and is a good sport about it, even when she loses. Whenever she goes into a match, she is often the first to leap into the fray, her Mini Splattling spreading as much ink as possible.
Appearance: http://sta.sh/0w1w7qn0g9q Raye also prefers to use a Refurbished Mini Splattling in combat.
Backstory: Raye first moved to Inkopolis with her parents at the age of five, settling in the lower income area of Flounder Heights. Raye’s parents had differing jobs. Her father was with the local news outlet as a cameraman, while her mother took up a teaching post at the local school. During her first week at her new school, she met Sil, and a lasting friendship was formed. As she grew up, the sight of various Inklings fighting Turf Wars in her figurative background entranced her, and she was often seen watching the battles out of her bedroom window. When she was old enough to, she began battling herself, using the skills she had picked up from watching the other Inklings, often with mixed results.

Rustic

Inkling Commander
@Devack
Yeah, your guv looks good. C'mon in and stay a while! Oh yeah, I'll post your prompt when I get home.
I'll give you a link to the Discord server in a convo.

Last edited:

IcySetsuna

Inkling
Name: Lunasia
Personality: A kindhearted lady, Lunasia has been known to be merciful and merciless on the battlefield. She will remain positive no matter what she ends up in. Her way of "soothing herself" happens to be combat.
Appearance: Lunasia has long white hair tentacles that flow freely, and a small clip of a moon crescent clipped on the left side of her hair. Her eyes are a yellowish gold, and people say her eyes sparkle rarely at night if she is in a good mood. She wears a shirt with a moon on it, which is covered with a white jacket. The sleeves of her jacket has a straight yellow line on it. Her shoes are black punks.
She favors an Octobrush.
Backstory: Back when she was 15, Lunasia joined the New Squidbeak Platoon to scout for Octolings. She happily does so, and ends up fighting alongside a rogue male Octoling, on whom she begins dating. 3 years later, they get married. She returns to Octo Valley to continue her scouting missions.

Last edited:

Rustic

Inkling Commander
Looks fine to me. While fairly barren in terms of details, I've seen ones that are quite literally one-to-two sentences that I've had to work with.
She sounds nice, and I'll be happy to accept this character into the RP!

Yin_

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-2325-6454-5517
While I'm waiting for mac and zapfish, why not add another character into the mix?:D

Parallax

Race

Inkling

Age 15

Apearence

He has eyes that if anyone looks at them they instantly die He wears stealth goggles so he doesn't kill them. He also wears a black inky rider and octoling boots. He is a green inkling that is a little shy and stares off into space sometime, but he is very focused on battle.

Backstory

Parallax was a odd child at birth. Random objects kept appearing all over the place. Eventually parallax's parents found out that he was creating them. He began to create more and more objects until they were too dangerous and they had to kick him out. He wanders the streets alone until went straight into inkopolis tower. He began to play turn wars and was disliked because he didn't go well with teammates and whenever someone was about to splat him, he boxed himself in. But people that didn't hate him helped him to control himself during battle and play fairly, even if that meant he was splatted. He lives on top of buildings, never staying much in one place.

Personality

Parallax is a calm,semi-shy, and kind person. In the heat of battle, he can be very focused and not notice anything around him. He loves just hearing the ca-chink as a sniper hits his enemies. Parallax can be as friendly as ever, helping anyone and everyone in need, or he can be an loner, Ignoring everyone around.

Rustic

Inkling Commander
Ah... Well, you see @Yin_
Aside from the brutal neutering that would happen to your character literally right as he starts off in the RP, what with I've read about Parallax. He certainly would have all of his powers stripped, nullified, or otherwise taken off through other means.

As for the spaces remaining. The five RPer slots have already been taken, in order of who they've been taken by: MacSmitty, Zerul, Ikaheishi, Devack, and IcySetsuna. Those five people are the current group that has been accepted, and while I can accept more. It piles on a helluva lot more work for me to do in the RP. While I've yet to have updated the main post, I'm afraid five is the limit.

Yin_

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-2325-6454-5517
Ah, ok, I'll just stay out of this rp just watxhing from the shadows, that would probobly would be for the best. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom