Octobrush advice.

Hikaru54

Pro Squid
NNID
Dillator
I've been using the (vanilla) Octobrush and I'm really enjoying it. I really enjoy the "supportive but sneaky" playstyle.
My current build is: :head_hdp000::ability_inksavermain::ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration::ability_specialcharge:, :clothes_tes022::ability_ninjasquid::ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_defenseup:,:shoes_cfs001::ability_damage::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_damage:

It's pretty straight forward but I still do not understand the Octobrush. If you all could give me advice on how to use the Octobrush against long ranged opponents then I would really appreciate it. From changing my build to changing my playstyle any advice appreciated!

Have a nice day!

Cuttlefish

...........Oops! I fell asleep!
NNID
tokkers
first of all, try not using ninja squid for the vanilla octobrush. it conflicts with kraken as far as i know! <:3 i use ninja squid for the nouveau only, and usually wear haunt or some kind swim speed for the vanilla!

as for taking out long range opponents; don't.
atleast, don't try to just go for them! you need to avoid anyone with a longer range than you until you can close in on them, that's how you become a deadly octobrush! try and flank your opponents, or wait for teammates to distract them and go in for the kill. you can even take dynamos out if you make sure to be cautious, patience is a virtue when playing octobrush.
you are pretty much guaranteed to die if you take any shooter head-on, unless you're REALLY lucky or right up in their face.

sorry it's not very descriptive, but hopefully you understand what i'm trying to say?

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
Most basic advice I can give you is that :ability_damage: is potentially the most vital ability for this weapon. With at least three mains of :ability_damage:, you can kill with two hits instead of three up close with a damage output roughly about 50 per hit. That sounds a lot less useful than it actually is, but is extremely useful for opposing not just other rollers who can one-shot you a lot quicker, but also short ranged shooters. Way too often the Octobrush user dies along with the opponent due to how quickly it can die up close. That is harmful to your special gauge and should be avoided.

Also vital would be at least two mains of :ability_swimspeed: for beneficial sneaky gameplay and quick drawbacks. The reason being that the Octobrush does not trap the opponent very well if you fight from a wider distance. Opponents can very often far too easily tank the first hit, swim ahead to outrange you and then finish you off easily. Drawbacks are very important for Octobrush users, and speed helps a lot with that.
Specifically with the vanilla, speed is also important for the Kraken. :ability_ninjasquid: is definitely useful for the sneaky gameplay, but like Cuttlefish kindly explained, not very beneficial for the vanilla Octobrush and may in fact be harmful, since it slows your Squid down by about one main of :ability_swimspeed:, which also affects your Kraken.

My personal set for this weapon is:

:ability_swimspeed:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_damage:
:ability_damage:|:ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_inksaversub: (Sub Saver was unintended)
:ability_damage:|:ability_damage::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:

An optimal set I would recommend would be:
:ability_swimspeed:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
:ability_damage:|:ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage:
:ability_damage:|:ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge:

Hikaru54

Pro Squid
NNID
Dillator
Thanks for the advice you all!

First of all I do not have any pures or shinies so 'Optimal' builds will not work for me.

I was wondering if I should use Ninja Squid, it generally works pretty okay for me. Dodging Bubblers and killing them afterwards, staying behind someone who's gonna pop the RM and killing them when they pick it up. Those are some of the things you can do with Ninja Squid. But it really does harm the Kraken so I'm gonna try Swim speed ( Thanks @Ulk !) or even Haunt (I'ma try it out @Cuttlefish !) for the time being.

And is Ink saver main needed? I found the Octobrush to be pretty Ink-Hungry so I'm using it for now, but is it recommended?

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
Ink Saver is definitely useful and recommended, even if the Octobrush isn't as overwhelming in ink consumption as, let's say the Splattershot Pro. With sneaky gameplay you don't often get into the situation of running out of ink. I guess that heavily depends on your playstyle and on what you'd be willing to give up on for that.

Cuttlefish

...........Oops! I fell asleep!
NNID
tokkers
i agree ! I personally have 1 main 1 sub of ink saver (main) and 1 main 2 subs of ink recovery . that's just how my gear worked out but it suits my playstyle so its cool!

I don't actually wear as much damage up as others, maybe about one main. but it depends on you as a player - its my best weapon and I'm very skilled with it so I don't need as much cushioning with damage up. if you're finding you get snagged by being just a bit TOO out of range, then you'd want to run damage up.

so the best abilities are damage up, ink recovery and swim speed. ninja squid is also good for nouveau builds. good luck!

G

girigiriHERO

Thank you guys I really appreciate it!!!
I've been using the Octobrush more consistantly in Ranked and my best build so far is Damage Up (2 main, 3 sub) and Quick Respawn (1 main, 6 sub). I know you don't have optimal equips but the equivilant of 3 main Damage Up does wonders. I was fortunate enough to roll pure Black Trainers a while back, the Basic Tee is Damage Up main with 5x chance for Quick Respawn and I ordered a pure Snorkel Mask off someone else and Spyke delievered, but it depends on your play style. After watching many videos by thatsrb2dude on YouTube I've adapted a more strategic play strategy which has net me 10 wins in a row in S rank.

Use height to your advantage, you can cover large amounts of ink for you to move around in, and don't be afraid to wait. I've found sticking to walls and rotating the camera to be really effective (assuming the enemy is coming from above, like Bluefin (is that the stage...?).

I'll average around 2 kill per death, but the Quick Respawn still gives us and advantage because I'm typically back in the fray before the other 2. Smaller stages like Walleye, I honestly find Swim Speed Up to be less useful as you can get right back in to the action in a small amount of time regardless.

Good luck, it's a great weapon (especially for TC)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom