Order's vs Tartar's goals (Spoilers!)

Eel-Ectric

Inkling
Pronouns
she/he/they
Switch Friend Code
SW-0840-7727-8401
I was thinking about how Octo Expansion and Side Order compare to each other, and wondered how Tartar and Smollusk would react to each others' philosophies and means of reaching their goal.
They're both on the side of order (hah), but Smollusk would probably be disgusted at what Tartar did to octarians to get DNA. However, fundamentally, their goals are very similar: remake the world into one without conflict or differences. I just wanted to poke at the differences, or what y'all think about whether or not their philosophies and goals are the same or different :}

briank913

Pro Squid
NNID
briank913
Switch Friend Code
SW-0159-0074-0919
This is where I think the official Octo Expansion translation falls short. I don't know if you heard about the Re-translation project, but it comes much closer to the original Japanese. In it, Tartar idolizes humanity and essentially wants to recreate the human race, to bring them back from extinction as he believes the humans were perfect, being neither selfish nor hedonistic. He then accuses the Cephalopods of just wanting to engage in pointless Turf Wars. Of course, we know he's HORRIBLY wrong in his view of humanity but it was the human Professor who made him after all so who can blame him.

Order wants to maintain what he thought was Marina's original vision: to create a world of consistency Of course, his interpretation of consistency is much more extreme than Marina's. Order wants no variation while Marina accepts that some change is good while acknowledging that order/consistency can be comforting.

With this in mind, both Order's and Tartar's visions are different, and very flawed in their own ways.

Eel-Ectric

Inkling
Pronouns
she/he/they
Switch Friend Code
SW-0840-7727-8401
This is where I think the official Octo Expansion translation falls short. I don't know if you heard about the Re-translation project, but it comes much closer to the original Japanese. In it, Tartar idolizes humanity and essentially wants to recreate the human race, to bring them back from extinction as he believes the humans were perfect, being neither selfish nor hedonistic. He then accuses the Cephalopods of just wanting to engage in pointless Turf Wars. Of course, we know he's HORRIBLY wrong in his view of humanity but it was the human Professor who made him after all so who can blame him.
I was not aware of this! Thanks!!
I do still believe that there is a comparison between the two, though. Tartar wants to yank the world back to a past of humans, not accepting that the world has moved on from humanity, while Order wants to place the world in stasis, not accepting this new reality for octarians and inklings. They're both greatly against this new society and change.

Lisku

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/him
also, I’m pretty sure side orders release date was meant to be announced at the world championship, it would’ve been so much better if they had just stayed working on it instead of rushing it for the cash grab

Bennet

Inkling Cadet
NNID
scamton
Switch Friend Code
SW-7447-6424-1120
I was thinking about how Octo Expansion and Side Order compare to each other, and wondered how Tartar and Smollusk would react to each others' philosophies and means of reaching their goal.
They're both on the side of order (hah), but Smollusk would probably be disgusted at what Tartar did to octarians to get DNA. However, fundamentally, their goals are very similar: remake the world into one without conflict or differences. I just wanted to poke at the differences, or what y'all think about whether or not their philosophies and goals are the same or different :}
hey, one thing that feels like the two bosses should go together (commander tartar and Mr. Grizz) because they want to bring humanity back

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom