• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 Other weapons to compliment an N-Zap main?

Switch Friend Code
SW-6861-5694-1795
I currently use the N-Zap '85 almost exclusively, but I'd like to be more versatile, especially since I want to learn to play competitively. It's a bit difficult to say what "role" I fill on a team when all my experience comes from random matchmaking/no planned team comp, but I usually find myself trying to be in front of the objective in Rainmaker/Tower Control, picking off enemies as they approach to prevent a coordinated push, and falling back to try to defend whenever they manage to get to the objective and attack. (I don't know how well this kind of approach will work against teams with comms and an actual strategy, but it's what I've got for now. :P) I like using suction bombs for zoning or pressuring enemies out of a hiding spot.

What other weapons can help fill this kind of role? I really don't want to only be competent with one weapon. If there are other weapons that could fit this kind of playstyle but might work better on different maps or with a different team comp, I'd like to learn that as well. At the moment I only really play shooters but I'd like an excuse to get familiar with other weapon types anyway.

The gear I'm working towards for my N-Zap is 19 ability points each of :ability_inkrecovery:, :ability_runspeed: and :ability_specialcharge:. If I need to work on some different gear for another weapon, that's fine, but if some of the same abilities are useful on another weapon then it'd be a nice bonus :)

AllToonedUp

Inkling Cadet
I think the vanilla Splattershot is very solid and is similar to the N-ZAP. Super versatile too. Sploosh is also good if you like to play more aggressively.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
You could start by branching out to similar frontline weapons, like the Splattershot and .52 Gal. For a different approach while staying aggressive, you could consider the Sloshing Machine and Rapid Blaster. Also, run speed can be useful but it's been nerfed pretty badly, it affects movement while firing much less than it does regular running movement. Something to keep in mind.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
I find people who love suction bombs LOVE suction bombs. In that case, the Forge SSP might be fun to check out. It’s a good support weapon that can be aggressive when needed. Seems a lot like your play style. Plus, they just buffed it.

You’ll want to run a bunch of ink saver/recovery stuff, though, because this thing drinks more ink than Hemingway drank whiskey.

Switch Friend Code
SW-6861-5694-1795
Thanks for the suggestions! I have some stuff to test out when I get home from work :)

Also, run speed can be useful but it's been nerfed pretty badly, it affects movement while firing much less than it does regular running movement. Something to keep in mind.
Oh, that's good to know, considering my main reason I wanted RSU was to be able to strafe better in firefights. Thanks for the heads up! (I just wish I looked for more recent info before I collected all those chunks :P)

I find people who love suction bombs LOVE suction bombs.
I mean... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ They're definitely nice but I think I like "bombs in general" more than "suction bombs in particular". Still, I'll check the Forge SSP out, it sounds neat.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
No problem. You might want to try swim speed, because every weapon can benefit from that mobility boost.

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
You may also want to consider Special Power Up. Ink Armor now activates faster with SPU, although no one's posted the exact numbers yet. I know I always have trouble getting splatted before the armor is 100% live, and if you're an aggressive front-line defender, that could help a lot.

Also, when I rely on my special a lot, I like either Comeback or Tenacity, depending on how likely the dead player on the team is likely to be me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom