"Ouch" and "this way".

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
Using ouch when you die in solo means you want people to investigate. If you press ouch when you floundered in a loose tenta missle, people will check up on you, waste time, and then go back. Not to mention, ouching everytime you die will quickly get aggravating.
Just use it if you got flanked, or if you failed to protect an important point. Basically at any point you want your team to back up on your current position.

People can see if you die by checking the active teammates at the top of the screen.
But if you're past the point of being splatted by a loose tenta missile, and you getting killed 95% of the time could be detrimental to your team (especially for me playing controller/support roles) then it's alright to say ouch every time you die. I've noticed is muscle memory for me to call out ouch. Unless I traded the guy who killed me then I say booyah. I think the main problem is that people tune out "ouch" altogether. I remember the other day we killed like 3 people out of our base and we were counterpushing. I was a charger so I went last but I knew there was still someone left so I tried to be cautious but then the blue dapples zipped out and got me. I then proceeded to say ouch. Several times... Because the splat pro wouldn't turn around. They were on the roof of shellendorf. No one payed attention enough to see that
1. someone was still alive
2. hmm 1 person alive on their team then someone on our team died I should check around to see what happened.

All too often I come across people who don't pay attention to important parts of the game like the giant icons at the top showing who's alive. The dualies killed everyone on the team catching up with dodge rolls and no one even looked back. People get too narrow-minded when it comes to rainmaker... Callouts will always be helpful but people don't pay enough attention to see them.

calamaro

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I play random only. In rainmaker if I have the Rainmaker and I hear a 'This Way' I am going that way and more times then not its legit. Its a helpful tool I think and don't really see it 'misused.'

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
But if you're past the point of being splatted by a loose tenta missile, and you getting killed 95% of the time could be detrimental to your team (especially for me playing controller/support roles) then it's alright to say ouch every time you die. I've noticed is muscle memory for me to call out ouch. Unless I traded the guy who killed me then I say booyah. I think the main problem is that people tune out "ouch" altogether. I remember the other day we killed like 3 people out of our base and we were counterpushing. I was a charger so I went last but I knew there was still someone left so I tried to be cautious but then the blue dapples zipped out and got me. I then proceeded to say ouch. Several times... Because the splat pro wouldn't turn around. They were on the roof of shellendorf. No one payed attention enough to see that
1. someone was still alive
2. hmm 1 person alive on their team then someone on our team died I should check around to see what happened.

All too often I come across people who don't pay attention to important parts of the game like the giant icons at the top showing who's alive. The dualies killed everyone on the team catching up with dodge rolls and no one even looked back. People get too narrow-minded when it comes to rainmaker... Callouts will always be helpful but people don't pay enough attention to see them.
People start to tune out ouch exactly because people mis-use it. If someone says ouch they assume enemies are at their position that need to be dealt with, and head on over to check out. But because people press it every time they die, people instead assume they just spam it and after that it just becomes a guessing game. Either the person is genuine and there is someone there or there is literally nothing happening at the spot where they died.

Nutmeat

Pro Squid
"This Way" can be really useful if your teammates understand what it means, which is highly dependant on your teammates but also on how and when you use it. If you're all fighting more or less together, you get 1 or 2 splats and someone says "This Way", that (should) mean "ok lets push now". If your teammate picks up the rainmaker and you're feeling on fire and know you can lead the way, it (should) mean "ok everyone follow MY lead".

I really only use "Booyah" when I get splatted and then see my teammate move in and make a particularly nice splat or two against whoever I was fighting, just as a way of cheering them on.

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
People start to tune out ouch exactly because people mis-use it. If someone says ouch they assume enemies are at their position that need to be dealt with, and head on over to check out. But because people press it every time they die, people instead assume they just spam it and after that it just becomes a guessing game. Either the person is genuine and there is someone there or there is literally nothing happening at the spot where they died.
I feel like more often than not people don't respond because they just don't see it because their mind is too focused on what they're doing and not what the team is doing. Had the splat pro in my example also been aware that there was still someone alive or I mean really everyone should've known, but if he knew then the push could've moved on because he would've had the drop on the dapples. People forget there are ways to communicate outside of voice chat and just don't notice when someone calls anything out. My teammates definitely didn't just ignore me they didn't even stop moving, and had they noticed I even said "ouch" they would've recognized that there are still people on the battlefield and all is not clear. They were probably trying to book it with the rainmaker for a lead but the thing was in our base and they had to go all the way over, use the roof and they barely made it past mid. People get to narrow-minded which allows for some bad choices.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
You can't expect everyone to just drop what they're doing and go to the Ouch signal. You don't know what that SS Pro was doing and thinking at that moment. There have been times where I knew someone was in our base, but it simply would've 1) cost time to get there or 2) maybe not an advantageous matchup. Like, I'm not gonna backtrack in Manta Maria with my Range Blaster to get some dualies that might be hidden anywhere, that's not gonna work.

Ultimately, This Way and Ouch just are too generic and can be used for anything. So, I think people just oughta keep it simple when they use them. Use Ouch if an enemy gets you on a place where you don't want them to be, and use it sparingly. That's the only way to communicate to your teammates that your Ouch is worth something.

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
You can't expect everyone to just drop what they're doing and go to the Ouch signal. You don't know what that SS Pro was doing and thinking at that moment. There have been times where I knew someone was in our base, but it simply would've 1) cost time to get there or 2) maybe not an advantageous matchup. Like, I'm not gonna backtrack in Manta Maria with my Range Blaster to get some dualies that might be hidden anywhere, that's not gonna work.

Ultimately, This Way and Ouch just are too generic and can be used for anything. So, I think people just oughta keep it simple when they use them. Use Ouch if an enemy gets you on a place where you don't want them to be, and use it sparingly. That's the only way to communicate to your teammates that your Ouch is worth something.
He already dropped everything to go follow the rainmaker even though he was too far behind and everyone else was dead except for the person in our base who was a threat to their life (and killed everyone on the team). Keeping in mind we were still in our base when the person killed me and they only made it to mid with the rainmaker. The whole team made a bad choice to run the rainmaker even though it was in our base and we had no mid control and there was someone still alive. Then they made it worse by not responding (honestly probably just not noticing) to my ouch which means "IM DEAD". All it takes is a quick glance at the top of the screen to put two and two together and figure out that there is a threat to our measly push. As someone who's more backliner/flex my death means someone snuck around somewhere and is gonna flank our team which means if my team doesn't respond to the ouch (or see it) they have a 0% chance of saving themselves whereas if they had they can save the team. You can't just ignore people and let them run free in your base unless they're unaware that you're about to ko with rain or something then you should never let anyone be anywhere that will give them a huge advantage like that. Basically, my ouches are very important and it's very helpful for other people to use ouch ever time they die. All it takes is a quick assessment of where they used it and you can decide if it's a threat, or it'll help you figure out where enemies are coming from. Like I said, the only time it sends mixed signals is if you fell off the map or got killed by a missile or stingray or something where the person who killed you could be far far away. But even then it's a quick noticeable reminder that you're a person down. You should never consciously ignore an ouch unless you know it was for a stupid reason like earlier stated. I just don't understand how someone could view ouch as unimportant information...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom