• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Overwatch Switch motion controls

Maave

Inkling Commander
Yee-haw, Overwatch on Switch has gyro controls! I converted to gyro controls in Splat1 and if you don't use motion you're wrong missing out on very fast and precise aiming.Unfortunately Overwatch’s default gyro settings are whack. Try these settings:

Turn off all aim assist. The aim assist will constantly pull the camera towards enemies, causing the camera to drift. If you’re good with gyro you won’t need it.

Controller > Advanced > Aim Assist Strength: 0
The sticks will be used for large movements, not aiming, so set the sensitivity fairly high. I set horiz to 30 and vert to 15.

Gyro > Gyro-Aiming Aim Assist: Off
Gyro > Gyro Option Presets: Custom
Gyro > Advanced > Pitch Sensitivity: 28
Gyro > Advanced > Yaw Sensitivity: 0
Gyro > Advanced > Roll Sensitivity: 59

The pitch/yaw/roll are labelled as if you’re holding the Switch in handheld mode up to your face. I think of pitch/yaw/roll with the controller flat on my lap so I was confused. Yaw goes to 0, it just interferes with the other axes.

I set the pitch (vertical) sensitivity to half the roll (horizontal) sensitivity, the way it feels in Splatoon. I adjusted it until I could whip the camera 180 degrees while keeping my hands comfortably on the buttons. Not so high that it causes jitter.

While you’re in the settings, change some hero controls. For snipers that zoom in (Ashe, Ana, Widowmaker) a lower sensitivity while zoomed will reduce jitter
Hero > Relative gyro aim sensitivity while zoomed: 60%.

This recoil recovery does not play nicely with gyro. Turn it off.
Hero > Recoil Recovery Aim Compensation: Off
Somebody in the Overwatch forum described this setting like this: “When it’s on, the default and what has been, your input disables the recoil recovery. When it’s off your input is added to the recoil recovery. They have done an awful job naming this.” So when this setting is ON, the tiny gyro jitter cancels the effect and you are left with climbing recoil, drifting the camera up. With the setting OFF, the recoil compensation still happens. Go to training, use Ash, and rapid fire unscoped to see the effects.

Also while you’re here, swap Moira’s primary and secondary fire. It makes more sense after this. ZR = right hand = drain. ZL = left hand = heal. I tweaked other hero controls as well but that's personal preference.

Happy sniping!

=========

PS: One major problem I've been having is that the motion will sometimes cut out. Right in the middle of aiming the gyro completely cuts out for about 1 or 2 seconds. If I'm fighting somebody I'm probably dead. This never happens in Splatoon. Controllers are updated. I don't know what the issue is.

switchliing

Inkling
I'm still having second thoughts about getting Overwatch on Nintendo Switch. I think it's also has been revealed that Overwatch 2 will also be on Nintendo Switch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom