Permanent Inkbrush Discussion Thread

Nousha

Full Squid
NNID
NoushaKhanom
It definitely seems like a beautiful weapon, I'm just so used to shooters and their playstyle that I've never been able to adapt to that of the inkbrush and it's relatively lousy range. I'm looking for something new and I might purchase this one. Does anyone have any tips for making a transition from shooters to brushes/rollers?

@Alprolozan That seems like a good idea in general, it just seems like you'd be fairly easy to hit though.

Alprolozan

Inkling
NNID
xXgamergabiXx
@Nousha i run it with ninja squid to compensate for the lack of rangte, so i can sneak up on enemies and run when needed

Eclipsc70

Pro Squid
NNID
EJ_Matthews
It definitely seems like a beautiful weapon, I'm just so used to shooters and their playstyle that I've never been able to adapt to that of the inkbrush and it's relatively lousy range. I'm looking for something new and I might purchase this one. Does anyone have any tips for making a transition from shooters to brushes/rollers?

@Alprolozan That seems like a good idea in general, it just seems like you'd be fairly easy to hit though.
Play Sploosh.
Its a shooter that you need to play with the mentality of a brush/roller, then from there you can go straight to octo nouveau then any other brush. Octo is easier to get into than the ink brush but once you get to the ink brush and master it then it definitely gives back what you put in.(the Perma anyway)

Last edited:

Eli-Monk

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
monkeysmell
The good thing about it seems to be the fact that it can play somewhat more aggressiveley with a Kraken, which is something the Inkbrush needed for a long time. But that's not to say you can constantly go for kills, though. It's a much more balanced set to say the least.

Zahntavier

Senior Squid
I also advocate for the ink saver sub build- its 2 main and 5 subs -which is rough, but its so fun to drop two bombs and then go in from a third angle.

Bleeze

Inkling
NNID
BleezeFreeze
I played the inkbrush nouveau a lot in ranked before this weapon came out. This weapon is basically a better version of the inkbrush nouveau. The permabrush is the first inkbrush that is viable in competitive play. Splat bombs are powerful subs that can cover the brush at range. One of the best ways to use splat bombs with this weapon is to space with them so that the enemy is either walled out by your bomb or forced to get closer to you so you can splat them with your brush. If you can predict enemy movement and throw bombs accordingly, you'll get a ton of splats. The kraken with the inkbrush was a pretty good choice as well. The inkbrush charges a special really quickly and it has a low special depletion, so it almost always has a kraken. It can be used as a panic button, which is great because if an inkbrush uses it while attacking it's already in position to use it.

While it's possible for the inkbrush to splat in less than four hits, to do this you have to be swinging slowly. Each new swing will cancel out ink globs that the first swing would have had. If you are trying to swing fast, it will never be a two hit splat. Same goes for the octobrush. I think it's possible to get a two hit if you're swinging fast, but a one hit is certainly not possible.

The kit is very solid. I was hoping for a burst/zooka brush but this is pretty good as well. Just because the inkbrush is the main weapon doesn't make this a weak kit. If you play smart, you'll be able to catch a ton of players off guard and get lots of splats. Even the inkbrush nouveau can get results in solo queue if played right, but in the competitive scene the permabrush is the only viable one. And the inkbrush has a few niches that the octobrush doesn't. The permabrush is definitely better than the vanilla octobrush, and is on par with the octo nouveau. I really hope some competitive players pick up the weapon to use in tournaments.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
While it's possible for the inkbrush to splat in less than four hits, to do this you have to be swinging slowly. Each new swing will cancel out ink globs that the first swing would have had. If you are trying to swing fast, it will never be a two hit splat. Same goes for the octobrush. I think it's possible to get a two hit if you're swinging fast, but a one hit is certainly not possible.
Fascinating and thank you. Normally I try to establish hitting someone in the sweet spot where they take damage from both the brudh and ink globs simultaneously. I will have to practice this.

What do you consider as "swinging slowly"? And how do you tend to use the Inkbrush Nouveau?

The few times I've been successful with the Inkbrush Nouveau is mostly turfing, scouting, and bubbler delivery during a push.

Bleeze

Inkling
NNID
BleezeFreeze
Fascinating and thank you. Normally I try to establish hitting someone in the sweet spot where they take damage from both the brudh and ink globs simultaneously. I will have to practice this.

What do you consider as "swinging slowly"? And how do you tend to use the Inkbrush Nouveau?

The few times I've been successful with the Inkbrush Nouveau is mostly turfing, scouting, and bubbler delivery during a push.
Hitting with the sweetspot might lower the swing count sometimes, I need to test more in the practice range.

I haven't messed with low swing splats for a while, but I think the speed was around 3 to 4 taps per second.

Probably the biggest thing to know about using the nouveau in ranked is you always want your bubble ready. It's the reason why you win about 70% of your fights. The thing to remember is that you need to use it when you're close to the enemy so they can't repel you in time before you splat them. Beyond that, I go for area control and pick off enemies away from their teamates. You need to play stealthily and know who you can take on. I also focus the objective. The nouveau makes a good tower rider because it has mines and a bubble. The nouveau is also one of the worst splatting weapons, so your team doesn't lose any firepower when you carry the rainmaker. The inkbrush also gets a zone really fast, and mines can help it maintain a good location. I will post my part 1 inkbrush guide later today. It's something I posted on the splatoon amino, but I'll just copy paste it to here. That's my basic playstyle info though.

My spell check is off so sorry about any weird mistakes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom