Playing Splat Zones like Turf Wars

Slashy

Inkling
NNID
slashyx
When I play Splat Zones I focus on two things, filling up my special meter to launch inkstrikes on camping points; and inking enemy territory to distract them from the zones and delay their progress in reaching the Splat Zones.

This strategy recommends that you have at least one special charge main ability to be useful, my success has been kind of good with this method, I'd wager probably 65% success rate.

Does anyone else do this?

RadioactiveMoth

Squidibli
NNID
RadioactiveMoth
I focus on the splat zones at all times. I've got a C+ rank, so it's not a BAD strategy, though it may not be the best.

The ΩS

Retired
NNID
Renwin
Sometimes I do this myself just to get more Inkstrikes in. For me, it has gotten me up to C+ as well. But the main priority is keeping the splat zone your ink color. Funny enough, covering the opposing ink does raise the meter as well. So it may or maybe not be ideal to focus mostly on zones since they'll try to re-ink it anyways.

superman

Senior Squid
I do ths mainly to have more maneuverability. If you neglect inking turf you have fewer options to approach and the enemy will lock all possible routes to the splat zones down. Before pushing into enemy base I'd rather have a nicely inked based / flanks myself, this allows my team to outmaneuver the enemy on the next wave and lock them down on the routes to the splat zones ourselves.

You also help your teammates with shorter range weapons out by allowing them to swim into range instead of having to retreat.

PremiumFootwear

Full Squid
NNID
PremiumFootwear
I mostly agree with this strategy. I think superman really summarized how I feel though. I always focus on the zone first however, and if it looks like I have an opportune moment I'll cover everything around it to provide breathing room for my teammates. I normally stick with the jet squelcher, so that means I have the inkstrike and splash wall at my disposal.
Saltspray rig is probably where I think OP's strategy shines the strongest for me. Because I camp on the two tall towers between the zone and the large back area with the moving crane. Very rarely does someone else paint that area, so I can simply turn over there and charge up my special then fire the ink strike on the enemy camping areas. Zoning out the enemy is the name of the game in splat zones (quite literally), so I think this strategy is great.
The splash wall is really underrated too in my opinion, since activating your special refills your ink, I throw down my splash wall to block the enemy from advancing before firing it. I don't normally see enemies using it, but on maps that have tense chokepoints the splash wall can be the difference between winning and losing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom