• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Playing with a Mouse

ImMyMiiIRL

Inkling
Just for some backstory I am an X rank player who is usually around the 2300 mark in all modes. So, I am not an amazing player, but I am a better than average X rank player. I was thinking of ways to get better at the game, and what came to mind was playing with a mouse and keyboard. PC players like to talk about how much better it is than a controller, but would it be in this case when we have motion controls? I picked up a GameSir VX AimSwitch and decided to test it out. I used three different weapon types when trying this out: Shooters, Blasters and Chargers.

Shooters just do not feel right at all with it. Even with a +5 sensitivity, moving with the mouse is very slow. Trying to kill people who are strafing or swimming between shots is difficult, and do not even get me started on trying to fight Dualies. Using a mouse as a shooter just puts you at a disadvantage.

Blasters felt a lot better. I already knew it would be as you really want to be splattling people in one shot with a direct. I felt like I was hitting a lot of directs and could slay as much as I normally do. The problem comes when someone is right behind you with blaster. Normally I could quickly turn to face them to give me a chance in getting the direct, but with the mouse moving so slowly I could never do this. Instead I would have to swim away to put myself into a better position, or I would just superjump out. The gap here is closer, but I would still play with a controller over a mouse.

Lastly, we have Chargers. Chargers felt nice with the mouse. I felt like I was consistently hitting shots, and the issue that blasters have is not a problem here as you want to superjump out in those situations anyways. A problem with my specific mouse is that sometimes when I held down the button to shoot and then let it go, I would still be aiming in game. Because of this I still prefer playing Charger with a controller, but if you have experience and are very good in other shooters using a mouse, I think using a mouse could benefit you.

In conclusion, while the mouse and keyboard were very enjoyable to play with for a change, for the most-part it isn’t as good as playing with a controller. I suppose it is not normally compatible, so the game does not get the most out of it. I do feel like experienced PC players could be amazing Charger players with it though. So, if you like Chargers, are used to playing with a mouse and do not have to pay for anything extra to set up the keyboard and mouse for the Switch, I recommend giving it a shot. Otherwise, I do not think there is any point in trying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom