Rule of thumb for "sandbagging"

Phichikapparho

Full Squid
NNID
Phichi
Hello, I just had a question regarding for want of a better term "sandbagging". Meaning getting into / with much less experienced players. Not squid/teabagging.

So, my kid loves playing the game, but being 6.... she isn't all that great at it. Think she is about level 9 or so, somewhere in there. She wants to play with one of her parents so we have 2 options(she hasn't tried a salmon run yet, seems like it might be a bit much for her to be honest) either she joins us(and gets completely absolutely stomped playing against people who are my wife and I's skill level.) Or join our daughter with the lower skilled people.

Walked in there with my normal dapple duelies, and immediately it was obvious I needed to switch to a weapon that I wasn't as comfortable/familiar with.

But before I did that I was messing around/trying to get the other team used to what duelies can do to try and help them improve. There was a charger in particular I was trying to help improve their aim on by doing the roll every time they shot and rolled out of the way. I didn't want to just go up and kill them because that wouldn't help them much, so I just sat there and rolled for 15-20 seconds or so before the person just stopped trying. It must have looked to them like I was intentionally screwing with them and taunting them because they didn't do much else the rest of the match and didn't come back for another. Which wasn't what I was going for at all.

Is there a way to show that you arnt trying to be an *** and trying to stomp them into oblivion? But rather, trying to help them get aiming down or whatever it is they need to work on?
I'm pretty sure I ruined at least one person's good time and id really prefer to not do so again.

My solution was to work on getting better with brellas and chargers which did help some. And using clean gear.

Sorry to anyone I may have mercilessly slaughtered that first round or two. I know what that's like, and it doesn't make the game more enjoyable.

Padre

Pro Squid
I have no answers, but trying out your weak weapons is probably the only way to make it more even for others.

I hope you figure out some way.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
This is a good question, and I've had the same thought. Usually, I go in with the intention of only painting and not going for kills, but then I forget I meant to go easy on bad players and start killing a bunch before I remember again. So my answer is... just paint and try to actively avoid killing anyone. But also, don't be like me -- don't forget that you were supposed to not murder.

Also, keep in mind that as people leave, the lobby may start filling with people at YOUR power level. You may want to make an alt-account for just playing with your kid where you go easy the entire time.

Phichikapparho

Full Squid
NNID
Phichi
It did not actually occur to me to make a separate account. But that is probably the best way to go about it. Simplest answers are usually the best ones.

Thanks I'll give that a go.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
It did not actually occur to me to make a separate account. But that is probably the best way to go about it. Simplest answers are usually the best ones.

Thanks I'll give that a go.
Us dads gotta have each other's backs. My kid is only three, but I can't wait to play Splatoon with her down the line. At the moment, she's into watching me paint and will sometimes cheer for the other team if she prefers their color. At least it's a start.

Good luck. I hope you can successfully not be too good, ha.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
I admire your efforts in trying to help other players! Sure your "teaching" method could use a little work, but you don't really need to sandbag yourself in the process.

For example, when you were teaching the charger to hit a dodge roller you could have stopped after two to four rolls then either punish them, let them hit you at the end of a roll, or just disengage entirely. Sure if they perform something egregiously punishable, go ahead and punish them. Give them some challenge without outright smiting them with your pinky toe just because you can.

And instead of sandbagging yourself, use the opportunity to refine or practice your own skills. You can still help teach while also creating practice challenges or exercises for yourself at the same time. Some ideas you can consider include: sneaky beakon placements, dodge rolling then trapping a player in ink, dodge rolling in mid swim, dodge rolling off walls, intentionally putting yourself into bad positions then trying to escape, etc. And you can also learn new skills as you've already been doing with other weapons.

It's like boxing a lower level student with jabs only. You still outclass them with jabs alone, but you're refining your speed, spacing, and footwork as they struggle to use everything they've learned thus far to keep up with you. It's a training win for both parties! =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom