S-Blast 91 is not strong

joe???

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4284-1031-3060
I am writing this thread because I think there is a misconception right now that's common at least among certain sections of the player base that S-Blast 91 with burst bomb as the sub and booyah bomb as the special is a strong pick in Splatoon 3.

The long-range mode's lack of a decently sized indirect hitbox is not a skill check, it fundamentally alters how the entire weapon is played. Poking with the long range shot around ledges, as a range might often do, is very unlikely to yield a hit, and unlike range (which is exceptional at this) sblast is awful at finishing off fleeing players. The indirect hitbox serves more as a consolation prize for being really close on an attempted direct than any kind of meaningful tool to play for. The end result is a blaster which has to be conservative with its shots, since the harm from revealing your location to the other team is often more than the benefit of a chance at an indirect.

The short-range mode also sucks unfortunately, its simply too slow. With s-blast, you constantly have to be thinking about the fact that almost any weapon you put yourself in range of to indirect is probably more than capable of mowing you down before your second shot comes out. Playing around map geography or fighting weakened enemies is the most consistent way to use it, but those are things you cant count on especially in disadvantage. In addition, the slow speed (combined with the atrocious range and mobility of course) makes it extremely hard to string together multiple kills, something vblaster (a good weapon) excels at.

There is very little added synergy to speak of from having both of these modes on the same weapon. Some hybrid weapons in this game have one mode which paints and another that fights, or one that applies safe damage and pressure and one thats slightly riskier but with more potential to get a pick. Neither of sblast's modes paint, and both are risky.

I had a lot of hope (like a lot of other blaster players) that sblast getting burst bomb and booyah could save it. Sadly, that has absolutely not been the case. Burst bomb helps with the usual non shooter things, like mobility and safe damage and even though booyah isn't maybe some god tier special its not bad at all and has its synergies with a slower riskier weapon like sblast. However, burst bomb does not magically fix all this weapon's problems. Hitting the long-range indirect didn't get any easier and even though on paper being able to weaken players with burst bombs before you go for the short range mode sounds amazing using 50 or 95 percent of your ink tank to kill someone right in front of your face (leaving you with very little ink to fight whatever teammates they had nearby) doesn't turn this weapon into a top tier.

In conclusion this gun actually sucks eggs (low C tier at best) and I miss grim my beloved

zyf_

Pro Squid
i would've thought that the strength of the burst bomb is having a better mobility option on a weapon i thought had a pretty decent main weapon but i guess that was a misconception + random players in jp are just cracked

we wait for a radius buff ig

joe???

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4284-1031-3060
I mean I could be wrong, this is based on my personal experience + the experience I watched of top jp blasters who tried the gun out for a little when it dropped before going back to range. There may be a player who has been able to make it work at top level, but I am unaware of them right now. Would be really interested to know if there are any vods available.

Yeah a long range radius buff big enough to turn it into a real poking tool would be massive for the gun but I don't think Nintendo would do it especially because it would change the entire playstyle of the weapon. Probably there is an argument there that they shouldn't do it, so it doesn't power creep on the other blasters. Mostly I just hope for better frame data to make the short range mode more usable, plus more ink efficiency to make burst easier to use wouldn't hurt.

Also I should make the point that I do think the gun is at least viable in tower control. However I think you should probably pick range or vblaster in pretty much all cases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom