• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

SCL- Director's Cut: Results and Feedback

Aweshucks

Kinda a loser
Event Organizer
NNID
Aweshucks
Congratulations to The Squid Box for winning the Fourth SCL Biweekly!

Full Results:
1st Place:
The Squid Box

2nd Place:
Squid Squad

3rd Place:
NSTC
Koopa Clan

5th Place:
Green Team
Blackbelly Bouncers
Octarian Elite Squad
Dash Team

9th Place:
Panda Global Warming
Squiddernauts Omega
IU Air
Alliance Rainbow Fire
Squidkids
Hit Clan
Dynamite
Cocos Graines
You can find the bracket here

We will update the thread for our next tournament with more information and open signups soon.

Please also leave your feedback for this tournament in this thread.

Last edited:

Aweshucks

Kinda a loser
Event Organizer
NNID
Aweshucks
We are trying to decide what format our next tournament should be. Some teams have asked us to run double elimination while others have asked us not to. What do you want to see?

We've gotten some complaints about our disconnect rule, while others have told us that it's very good. What do you think? What improvements can we make to it? For reference, here is our current rule:
A team that experiences more than one player disconnect during a match OR any number of disconnects within the first 30 seconds of a match can, once per set, void that match. In any other circumstance, the round will play out as normal. We do this to try and prevent extreme swings due to disconnects, since in splatoon you can not reconnect mid match like in many other shooters, while also trying to avoid the system being abused.

Note that we do not expect very many disconnects during this tournament, if any, so we will not overlook teams that disconnect every match or otherwise constantly, even if they provide proof that the disconnect happened, as there are still ways to abuse the system for benefit. The one match limit is, similarly, in place for this reason, and to keep the tournament moving in the case of bad connections all around.

If a team experiences disconnects after they have already used their reset, then they must play out the game. If every player D/Cs in this fashion, then it will count as a loss

The exception is if an extreme amount of players disconnect randomly from both teams: the match will be reset like above, but it will not count against either team.

In the event that a game has to be replayed, everything must be played in the same manner as the first game. This includes gametype, weapons, and players. The player that DC'd must play again as long as there is a reasonable expectation that they are able to play.

How did I do with the seeding in this tournament?

Nair

Full Squid
NNID
Goldenwolfy
Although the DC rule didn't run in our favor. It was still really good to have. I like the idea it prevents the tournament from dragging on. And the fact that you get at least 1 re-do is fine. (Perhaps change to per game? Instead? I feel like this won't change much, honestly.)

I still like Single-Elim. We have no business doing Double Elim here. At least, that's how I feel. Perhaps run another tournament with that in the week SCL isn't being played? That'd be somethin'...

Over-all I liked the tournament. Nice & Clean.

Tim

Inkling
NNID
Nizmo-Indian
GGs to everyone! I agree with Nair, the DC rule and Single-Elim are fine just as they are now.

Reactions: fat

Ultramus

Pro Squid
Seeding felt fine, we faced progressively stronger teams going towards the finals, any of the top 4 could have been in finals, so I have no complaints.

The SCL tourneys are consistently my favorite, yalls rules are fine and everything runs smoothly. Having a single elimination is fine with me, having the Bo7 for semis onward feels good, our match with NSTC wouldn't have been nearly as enjoyable or entertaining as a bo5.

I feel like if you want more variety or more opportunity for matches a group stage feeding into a single elimination is the best option to get people some more matches, or even a round robin with a top cut single elimination.

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword
yeah, the reason I'm kind of iffy on SE is it feels like some people don't get to play as much.

We could run other formats than DE even with just 16 players. Basically what I want to make sure of is that everyone kind of 'gets their fill', which I'm sometimes concerned SE doesn't give people.

Power

Inkling Commander
Considering the frequency of this event, I believe that Single elimination works just fine. As previously mentioned, a group stage may work if you want people to get their fill.

Njok

Bouncer
I personally like SE as well but i completely understand your reasons to have doubts. Seeing as you guys run bi weekly, maybe it's an idea to keep it SE if there is another tourney in that same weekend, and add a group stage (RR would be my choice, but it can be anything) if you're the only tourney in a weekend?

The DC rule is fine imo. More than 1 replay can hold up the tournament quite a bit.

hero

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ftwhero
I think single elimination is fine for this tournament as there is one per week and double elimination could make it excessively long. As others have stated a group stage can work aswell if people felt like they didnt play enough matches.
As far as the tournament itself goes it felt super smooth and extremely well organized and props to the TOs for being so kind and friendly, definitely looking forward to participating again in next weeks.

Burnburn

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Burnburn
Since you explicitly asked about feedback for the DC rules I'm going to repost here what I said in the Inkstorm thread (since I think I have a better chance to be heard here than there).

"A team that experiences more than one player disconnect during a match OR any number of disconnects within the first 30 seconds of a match can, once per set, void that match. In any other circumstance, the round will play out as normal. We do this to try and prevent extreme swings due to disconnects, since in splatoon you can not reconnect mid match like in many other shooters, while also trying to avoid the system being abused."
This IMO is still to ambiguous. In order for the team with the DC to claim the match that team should stop playing immediately. This is to create the most balanced and fair result of a DC.

Here's what I said in the Inkstorm thread:

What should teams do when they have a DC or see the others DC? Right now teams just do whatever, sometimes they keep playing, sometimes they stop. What I think should happen is that both teams (and especially the team with the DC) should stop playing immediately. I know, DC’s happen and of course it always sucks and there is little we can do about it. But when someone DC’s it should NOT be an advantage for the team that has the DC. With the rules we have now, if both teams continue playing the team with a DC will get a “win-win” situation, a clear advantage. The team that has the DC doesn’t have to worry about losing anymore, there now is zero penalty for losing. If they lose they can just replay the match, if they win that’s a win for them. If the non-DC team wins, they don’t have anything, they have to replay, but if they lose they’re one game behind. Do you see what I’m getting at? When a DC happens one team is playing for a win while the other is playing for a rematch, winning will give different end results, something that obviously shouldn’t be happening.

Now you could say “well it’s 3 vs 4, the other team should win that easily or else they’re just not as good as the other team and deserve the loss”. Well here’s the deal with that, if you play 3v4 with nothing to lose, why would you even defend? When you lose you just replay the match, so there’s no need to hold back. You can just be aggressive as **** without worrying about losing. You as the team also get intel on 4 people while the other team only on 3.

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword
What should teams do when they have a DC or see the others DC? Right now teams just do whatever, sometimes they keep playing, sometimes they stop. What I think should happen is that both teams (and especially the team with the DC) should stop playing immediately. I know, DC’s happen and of course it always sucks and there is little we can do about it. But when someone DC’s it should NOT be an advantage for the team that has the DC. With the rules we have now, if both teams continue playing the team with a DC will get a “win-win” situation, a clear advantage. The team that has the DC doesn’t have to worry about losing anymore, there now is zero penalty for losing. If they lose they can just replay the match, if they win that’s a win for them. If the non-DC team wins, they don’t have anything, they have to replay, but if they lose they’re one game behind. Do you see what I’m getting at? When a DC happens one team is playing for a win while the other is playing for a rematch, winning will give different end results, something that obviously shouldn’t be happening.

Now you could say “well it’s 3 vs 4, the other team should win that easily or else they’re just not as good as the other team and deserve the loss”. Well here’s the deal with that, if you play 3v4 with nothing to lose, why would you even defend? When you lose you just replay the match, so there’s no need to hold back. You can just be aggressive as **** without worrying about losing. You as the team also get intel on 4 people while the other team only on 3
While I do find that it is impossible to mandate this, I feel outlining proper procedure (which is what this would be) for the future so that people stop playing more often (and preferably also collect proof) isn't a bad idea. Thank you for bringing this up. It would also be faster for everyone as well if they just stopped playing and started explaining it while the ruined match timer goes down.

I will take steps to highly encourage this procedure. Again, I don't think I can mandate it well, but making sure people are well aware of it is certainly a step in the right direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom