SCL Supreme: Results and Feedback

Aweshucks

Kinda a loser
Event Organizer
NNID
Aweshucks
Congratulations to Squid Squad Clubs for winning the Second SCL Biweekly!

Full Results:
1st Place:
Squid Squad Clubs

2nd Place:
The Squid Box 1

3rd Place:
The Squid Box 2

4th Place:
C-

5th Place:
Cthuligans
IU Air
Green Team
Name Subject to Change

9th Place:
Squids Next Door
Octarian Elite Squad
Koopa Clan
Squidkids

You can find the bracket here

Our next tournament will be held on Friday Oct. 2. We will be putting up a thread with more info soon.

Please also leave your feedback for this tournament in this thread.

Aweshucks

Kinda a loser
Event Organizer
NNID
Aweshucks
A few specific things we are looking for feedback on:

1. We were pretty pressed for time. How do you think we handled this?
  2. We used Discord this time instead of Skype. How did you like it? Do you think we should continue using Discord for future tournaments?
  3. We used Halo-style map picking this time. What did you think of it? Do you think we should continue using it for future tournaments?
  4. We have a pretty strict disconnect rule, that had to be referred to a few times in this tournament. What do you think of it? Should we change it, and if so what to?
And of course any other feedback you have

GameGalaxy64

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlareFusion
Thank you and congratulations to everyone who participated in this tournament. You make it a pleasure to serve the community!

Safari⭐️

Inkling
1. Compared to IoS, you guys did phenomenal when it came down to time restraints. Plus I can go as far as to say that this was one of the fastest tourneys ever finished.

2. Discord met the standards, it wasn't as problematic as Skype, and more easily obtainable as compared to TS.

3. Halo-style...was ok. Despite the maps being chosen it was easy to already plan out strategies and practice to the point of perfection. While I have no proof of this, it is entirely possible. Otherwise no issues there.

4. This rule was fine until the use of proof came up. I know it's completely logical and appropriate to ask for proof as TO's aren't there to watch the match, but it might be favorable to specify what kind of proof you need and what is considerd as legitimate.

Power

Inkling Commander
1. Compared to IoS, you guys did phenomenal when it came down to time restraints.
Well, nearly everything, when compared to IOS can be considered great. ;p ;p ;p
;p
-Halo style should definitely stay. It speeds everything up. (in comparison to mode striking)
-

Nair

Full Squid
NNID
Goldenwolfy
Good games everyone! It was fun playing all of you. :)

SS-C Wolf

Ultramus

Pro Squid
This tournament ran exceptionally quick, which was great, and I attribute that to both single elim, and halo style maps. Halo style I definitely think this should be the norm by FAR.

The DC rule? I honestly like it, it went against us once, and it went for us once, I don't like replaying matches TBH. Just roll with it.

Kbot

Full-time TO
Event Organizer
Shots fired!
▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一 • • •
He's allowed to shoot at his own tournament lol

I think it was great. Like I said, I think we need small little tournaments like this as well as the big ones. I can't provide any specific things cause I didn't participate myself.

Keep up the good work!

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword
He's allowed to shoot at his own tournament lol

I think it was great. Like I said, I think we need small little tournaments like this as well as the big ones. I can't provide any specific things cause I didn't participate myself.

Keep up the good work!
We'll probably run some big tournaments at some point in the future, but the 'SCL lives' as I call them should continue to be run on a bi weekly schedule to be quick, 2 hour smallish single or double elim tournaments. Big tournaments (round robin then bracket stuff) will probably just be splitup over a few days and those sections run similarly. Unless we get a better idea before then of course.

Aweshucks

Kinda a loser
Event Organizer
NNID
Aweshucks
We'll probably run some big tournaments at some point in the future, but the 'SCL lives' as I call them should continue to be run on a bi weekly schedule to be quick, 2 hour smallish single or double elim tournaments. Big tournaments (round robin then bracket stuff) will probably just be splitup over a few days and those sections run similarly. Unless we get a better idea before then of course.
We should really agree on a name, because I've never seen them referred to as "SCL live" except the challonge url lmao

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword
We should really agree on a name, because I've never seen them referred to as "SCL live" except the challonge url lmao
I name all the tournaments individually (SCL supreme, back to scl etc.) but collectively I like to call them SCL lives. mostly because tournaments on DN I ran similarly were DNlives.

Damandatwin

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Damandatwin
The DC rule is a problem that really annoys me because I don't think there's a good solution. It's bad as is because if I know I'm the host, I can intentionally make my connection to someone else ****ty or outright block it (making them disconnect), which means you're basically trusting the host not to cheat.

You can't solve it by forcing a restart when someone disconnects because I can just turn off my Wii U or whatever when my team is losing.

Really the only good way around it is if Splatoon used dedicated servers (out of our hands) or if tournaments were over LAN (impractical).

For now It's probably best to keep the rule the way it is, because it's significantly harder to intentionally deteriorate your connection to one IP than to turn off your Wii U, and frankly most people aren't going to bother for the amount of money at stake currently.

I would keep track of disconnects though, just in case players have a higher-than-normal tendency to disconnect while playing against any particular team.

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword
The DC rule is a problem that really annoys me because I don't think there's a good solution. It's bad as is because if I know I'm the host, I can intentionally make my connection to someone else ****ty or outright block it (making them disconnect), which means you're basically trusting the host not to cheat.

You can't solve it by forcing a restart when someone disconnects because I can just turn off my Wii U or whatever when my team is losing.

Really the only good way around it is if Splatoon used dedicated servers (out of our hands) or if tournaments were over LAN (impractical).

For now It's probably best to keep the rule the way it is, because it's significantly harder to intentionally deteriorate your connection to one IP than to turn off your Wii U, and frankly most people aren't going to bother for the amount of money at stake currently.

I would keep track of disconnects though, just in case players have a higher-than-normal tendency to disconnect while playing against any particular team.
yeah. I don't know if I made it clear in the last tournament DC rules or not, but we *are* watching for people who seem to disconnect a lot. We don't expect D/Cs to happen constantly.

Your reasoning is also pretty much why the rule is what it is. We don't want people to just turn off their wii Us while we want to give some leniency for games where a fair amount of people do actually disconnect. Because, after all, it's not like you can rejoin games quickly (and even if you could splatoon games are extremely short so a couple d/cs in the middle of the match could be more than enough to spell doom even if they could rejoin, unlike, say, TF2 where A. it's fairly fast to get back in and matches are way longer. But we'd probably at least test a new rule if somehow splatoon's online was improved).

We've done our best to work around what we were given essentially. We know it's far from ideal, but it's the best we can do for now and will forever be the best we can do unless Nintendo improves those areas in Splatoon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom