• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Splatoon 2 Should Rapid Blasters be nerfed, and if so. how to nerf them?

hoo

Inkling
NNID
jawsbenjamin3
Switch Friend Code
SW-5606-6403-6999
The tournament at e3 was saturated with rapids, and there was not a single game without a rapid blaster.
It is clear this weapon is meta, but is it overpowered? tell me your thoughts.

Dewnose

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-1493-3741-2812
Yes. The Rapid is extremely powerful; it’s so easy to get a hit that you only have to be vaguely aiming even at long range, unlike a Charger or Splatling. If the area for indirects was reduced, the weapon would not be nearly as viable.

saint_kthulhu

Full Squid
The rapids are powerful weapons. And yes, they were well represented at the E3. But they aren’t that overly popular in solo rank.

There’s a reddit user that updates a google doc of the most used weapons. I’m not going to post the link because I don’t know if I’m allowed to link to other sites. But it’s easily found via google search.

The most recent data shows that the week of 5/26-6/1, the most used Rapid was the Rapid Blaster Deco. It was the #21 most used weapon. Meaning twenty weapons were more popular.

For the X Rank play ending 5/31, the most used Rapid, the Rapid Blaster Deco again, was the #13 most used weapon. Just in terms of weapon class, the Custom Blaster, Range Blaster and vanilla Blaster were all used more.

IMO if Rapids were OP, they would be much higher up the list in terms of player use.

vanille987

Inkling Cadet
NNID
777SAS777
Imo, their slow TTK (even with a direct) combined with how important spacing and figthing at the right range is holds them back from being ‘too powerful’.

E.g. if your fighting too close or far, those AoE blasts are going to be usseles and you obviously need to be careful to not be ambushed, as rapid blasters are nearly a dead-weight up close.

AllToonedUp

Inkling Cadet
No because they're not overpowered by any means and we really don't need more nerfs when there's a lot of underwhelming weapons that are crying for buffs.

Rapids are poor when fighting up close and its not that good at inking turf so playing zoner is all it has to its name. If it was OP then you would see it more in solo matches. It's fine the way it is imo.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
I do think the splash radius needs to be toned down a bit, but otherwise I don't find them too overpowered beyond that.

Their placement in the current meta honestly stems from them being "easy" and safe when played at optimum range. You don't need on point aiming and the weapon doesn't have to be in the danger zone.

The weapon still comes with the weakness that is is really only good at optimum range, this I found that clear in some of the E3 tournament, you see people able to rush down Rapid Blasters because the moment somebody crosses the weapon's goldilocks zone, they're sitting ducks if they don't get directs.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
I can only imagine that this debate started from DUDE's video, which explains more in detail on why the Rapid is very strong right now. There's some stuff he glosses over(Jump RNG making the shots much less accurate at max distance, directing with it actually does require good aim), but it's indeed a force to be reckoned with right now.

I can warn you right now, nerfing it will have no effect. It'll eventually make people migrate back to the Custom Blaster instead. Why? Because literally no other blaster is viable in high-level play. If you need a blaster, you gotta go with rapid because it's not bad like the other blasters out there.

Luna's been a trashed wreck from the beginning. You literally get a Blaster that has less range and more endlag, the bigger damage radius is gone. It's like if you get a dynamo with the range of a Splat Roller. It's a downgrade to the regular blaster in all aspects, and that'd be allright if the kits were good on it but... They get outshined by the kits on the Rapid.
Range Blaster has been exiled from the meta eversince the damage recovery buff, and it got no compensation for it. You still have to deal with a 200p inkstorm. You now have to keep hitting shot after shot because your fire ratio is so slow targets will now heal between hits, something which the rapid has no issue with.
Clash is getting close to useful, it's kits aren't perfect however and that's the biggest thing holding it back. Stingray/Missiles on such a short ranged weapon is hardly useful, but both curling/bursts help it a lot in maneuvering around the field. The only thing it's really good at is pubstomping because very few newbies know how to deal with it.

So if you're in high-end level play, the only options you have for your blaster needs are Rapid(Pro) and Custom Blaster. Rapid Deco and Custom Blaster share the ever-powerful inkjet, however Deco gets suctions and Custom gets chickens, you don't want chickens so you go with Rapid.
vRapid is no joke either, having the very strong Splat Launcher and it being the only weapon able to utilize Ink Mines well. vBlaster used to be good until Splashdown got nerfed.

I've been saying it again and again, but nerfs are what this game needs the least amount of. Nothing in this game is truly broken, but there's plenty of underpowered stuff out there. Luna can actually be decent if they give it's blast radius back. If they somehow could give an extra kit to clash with a special that isn't bad for it it'll help it a lot. Range's kits are fine, but it's dps for indirects is too slow to make it meta-worthy.

And finally, finishing off this long-bloated post:
Please stop incorporating honor in your weapon choices. It's ridiculous, but i keep seeing it happen constantly. You aren't inherently better for picking E4K over someone who picks Rapid Deco. You can certainly play the weapons you'd like, but you have to understand the meta and the fact that if you don't go with it that you will put yourself at a slight disadvantage. The game gives you weapons which you can potentially accomplish your goals with, not picking one because "it's for scrubs!" or anything makes you well... a scrub, basically.

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
rip, my long draft / analysis got deleted by the cite. Thanks guys, love the save feature on this forum.

But enough salt, I'll make this quicker than I wanted to.

As a blaster player from the start of splatoon 2, rapid has been like this for a year. The main weapon hasn't received anything, but I've been hearing for the past 2 weeks:

"It's OP NOW, GUYS NERF IT"

Which is silly. A weapon that's been non - explicit meta and non overwhelming for so long isn't going to be OP in one patch without a single buff.

The only reason why rapid is seeing use everywhere these days is because everything else has been nerfed.

Tri Slosher meta? Nerfed. Baller Meta? Nerfed. Chip Damage Meta? Nerfed. Brella Meta? Nerfed. Double Zap Meta? Nerfed. Slosher Deco Meta? Nerfed. Custom Blaster meta? Kind of nerfed.

But as you can see, every other option that was explicit meta, has been nerfed at this point. And the rapid blaster stayed consistent throughout all of it. Now with this inkjet heavy metagame with tons of weapons that get outranged easily, the rapid blaster comes back once again.

As it's able to handle most of the meta's close range weapons (Emperries, Tentatek, Tri Slosher, Custom Blaster, and N-Zap) easily with it's great range and ability to just get chip damage from afar and around corners.

The common myth states that "A rapid always plays a slayer role on a team because the 3 shot is very easy to land with the indirects. This is false. As overextending with a rapid blaster usually has no outs if you get caught. There are no panic buttons, Abilities to get you out of the fight, or even a sub to help you out. Which makes a rapid's role on a team to not overextend and play defensive. Which I believe accommodates the rapid's kits and combat capabilities.

Speaking of which, if you use a rapid up close against a shooter, you're definitely in trouble. As the time it takes for you to get 2 shots off in a row (one of which needs to be a direct) is very hard to manage against a shooter who hits their shots. How hard is it? Impossible in some cases. As a standard shooter can shred you to pieces before you even get your second shot out.

Defense is where the rapid shines, since the sub weapons it can have (mine, mist, suction bomb, and splash wall) are all great for spacing out opponents. These sub weapons make your target re position or weaken them so it makes for an easier kill for your rapid blaster.

None of these sub weapons translate into: "Better mobility"

Overall, the rapid blaster is the best pick for a defensive blaster. As no blaster gets as much range or is able to constantly pressure a choke point like a rapid blaster.

Clash Blaster:
Everyone's favorite weapon. The weapon that's been called "braindead" "For noobs" and "broken" is doing just alright right now. It's resorted to just a niche tower control pick, as it has a stingray to help clear the tower with it's massive indirect blasts. However, it's range and DPS are getting it overshadowed by the sloshing machine.

Luna Blaster:
My poor boy. Once the king of splatoon 1, leaves a hollow shell of what was left of him.
With underwhelming stats all around, without much range, jump rng on a jumping blaster, and with the same amount of endlag as the range blaster. (yes this is true 56 frames) The Luna Blaster leaves a lot to be desired.

Not to mention, the vanilla blasters both have less endlag and more range (that's how tradeoffs work I guess), which makes the Luna all the more sad to just look at. The Vanilla kit is actually pretty solid for the weapon, splat bomb and baller work incredibly well with the Luna's playstyle. Unfortunately, ink mine simply sets the neo set to the graveyard.

Vanilla Blaster: It's doing fine. As the most common slayer weapon / offensive blaster, the Vanilla Blasters (mostly the custom blaster) is doing extremely well for itself. Even if they just got a nerf, they're still very common.

Range Blaster: My favorite, my shining star, my kind of wonderful, that's what you are range blaster.

However, the range blaster isn't doing as well as I'd hope. But it's still a very good weapon. The healing buff just makes it so that you have to hit closer to the center more consistently, and you have to hit directs often. And being slower and more punishing than the vanilla blasters made it far less common to see in the current metagame.

Still though, a weapon that can one shot at mid range is nothing to scoff at. And overextending with it isn't a death sentence since you have a handy direct one shot, for a pesky flanker, which is something the rapid doesn't offer. And it's defensive play is much better than what a vanilla blaster could attempt to offer.

Overall, the range blaster plays better defense than the vanilla blasters, and has better offense than the rapid blasters.

The range blaster being in the middle of the current blaster competition, is alright. But, with the weapon needing a lot of time investment in order to play it's strengths to the fullest, this just isn't appealing to most players.

Overall, I think the rapid is fine how it is right now. I think we need to just buff it's counters namely splatlings like the Hydra and Heavy, Long range shooters like the Squeezer and Splattershot Pro. And maybe a buff to some other blasters *cough* Luna *cough*

Maave

Inkling Commander
I didn't even notice the Rapid's popularity. It doesn't even seem OP to me since it still has the huge glaring weakness: nearby enemies require direct hits. Combined with the jump accuracy nerf, this weapon is completely vulnerable at close range.

ToonyBirb

Inkling
To be honest, I think while we're talking about the rapid blaster, I think it's worth mentioning the Clash Blaster. those things have insane fire rate for their range and damage. I'd say probably blast radius or slightly reducing the fire speed or damage.

Last edited:

ToonyBirb

Inkling
I didn't even notice the Rapid's popularity. It doesn't even seem OP to me since it still has the huge glaring weakness: nearby enemies require direct hits. Combined with the jump accuracy nerf, this weapon is completely vulnerable at close range.
You have a fair point. The issue comes in when trying to approach them or when they try to approach you. It can be very tricky to deal with, but I do agree with you.

hoo

Inkling
NNID
jawsbenjamin3
Switch Friend Code
SW-5606-6403-6999
My main just got nerfed.
Six percent explosion radius decrease.
I think it's a fair nerf, just toning it down a little.

One FM

Inkster Jr.
They got seriously nerfed when they did away with damage-up. I mained blasters in S1, and have hardly touched them in 2. They are still powerful weapons, but you better have your aiming skills set on top notch.

chubbypickle

Inkling Cadet
They got seriously nerfed when they did away with damage-up. I mained blasters in S1, and have hardly touched them in 2. They are still powerful weapons, but you better have your aiming skills set on top notch.
same with me here i was a luna master in s1 but in s2 i used the custom for a bit but the game is so fast i just felt i needed to have weapons that push hard and fast

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom