• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

So I Picked up a Bucket Yesterday...

Magic8Ball

Inkling Cadet
Community Ambassador
NNID
M4g1c8Ball
I think yesterday was the first time I've ever touched a Slosher. So today when I was having a bad losing streak with my mains (Jet Squelcher and Luna), I decided, 'Screw it, if I get demoted at least I got in some meaningful practice.' I went from A 36 to 94 in six straight games, dominating in most.
I was running Safari Hat (Ink Saver Main) with some weird subs that included Ink Saver Sub, Run Speed Up Tee with a sub of Run and two subs of Damage, and Crazy Arrows (Stealth Jump) with a sub of Damage and two unrolled slots. This allowed me Two Burst Bombs and 4 or 5 Sloshes per tank and the Damage Up helped me to clean up my inaccuracy with a boost in damage so that when I didn't have a direct hit, it usually two shot anyways.
I found that burst bombs helped me massively to get around, and while I didn't use Burst Canceling to my advantage often, it very much helped me. I'm very used to using burst bombs to escape with my Jet Squelcher Custom, and while it did not help very often, I enjoyed the aggressive playstyle. Inkstrike also helped me in many occasions to force out Snipers and pressure the objective when I couldn't get to the objective myself.
So I have some questions:
1) Should I be using Quick Respawn?
I am used to doing the whole "go in and get a trade" with Luna, but I'm curious if Slosher is viable in the same dynamic.
2) Above Ninja Squid, should I be using any other mobility boosts like Swim Speed Up and Comeback?
I find myself in a few sticky situations every match, so my thought was always to back up, but found myself constantly gunned down. Besides my bad positioning, I'm curious if I should be doing anything else to preserve myself.
3) When should I go in? Should I try to flank/ambush?
I found that whenever I decided to run down the sides and pressure a side-wandering target, I found myself either winning the trade and not putting any impact on the objective, or just flat out dying. In general I'm curious if flanking, when in an uncoordinated solo rank environment, is a good alternative.
Also if you have any other tips and tricks that help you, I would love to talk about it. Please critique my play, my gear, or my grammar if you so choose. Thanks for your time reading this, Catch you guys on the Flipside!

P.S. Sorry if I'm making things unorganized by not using the graphics and such, this is my first post :p

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Hihihi!
Always a delight when I hear/read of someone branching out to new weapons, especially new claases of weapons! =p
I'll jump right to your questions =p

-I personally don't run much or any quick respawn(or QR for short) when slooshing, since it lacks a 1 hit KO threat, but that hardly means it can't go toe 2 toe with other front line weapons.

-If you don't care at all about the looks of any of the ninja squid shirts)that zebra shirt is mad-fresh yo), I recommend growing out of it xP. although it takes some practice, the exact same effect can be achieved by not going full throttle every time you squid. Once you can do it consistently in the heat of a match, you can have all the nasty little benefits of stealth swimming, while still being able to sonic swim out of danger, plus you free up a main ability slot!
Swim speed is almost never a bad thing, no matter the weapon, and many players swear by the power of comeback: try it for yourself, especially if you want to also try QR.

-Dassa complicated one, flank-science. Flanking is very effective when the opponent(s) you're trying to get the jump on is/are forced to stop and deal with one or more of your teammates. So a short answer on IF to flank is if you feel your team can hold their ground against the opposing teamqwhilst you make youself a backdoor(how many are down on each side? are specials being used? who has what weapons/subs? yetta-momma-blah-blah).

When to flank is much more simple, will anyone notice you? The unseen squid is the splooshiest, so the legend goes.

PS: don't confuse flanking with ambushing. Not sure if ya do, but I'll think to myself "Heck yeah boi this'll be a sweet flank111!!" when I'm really just waiting in ambush for when they try to make a move into our side of the map.

Feel free to ask any questions on weapons, sloshers or otherwise.
I'm by no means a master of any weapon (maybe expert brush?), but I fancy myself at least profficient on any weapon kit.

Last edited:

Magic8Ball

Inkling Cadet
Community Ambassador
NNID
M4g1c8Ball
Hihihi!
Always a delight when I hear/read of someone branching out to new weapons, especially new claases of weapons! =p
I'll jump right to your questions =p

-I personally don't run much or any quick respawn(or QR for short) when slooshing, since it lacks a 1 hit KO threat, but that hardly means it can't go toe 2 toe with other front line weapons.

-If you don't care at all about the looks of any of the ninja squid shirts)that zebra shirt is mad-fresh yo), I recommend growing out of it xP. although it takes some practice, the exact same effect can be achieved by not going full throttle every time you squid. Once you can do it consistently in the heat of a match, you can have all the nasty little benefits of stealth swimming, while still being able to sonic swim out of danger, plus you free up a main ability slot!
Swim speed is almost never a bad thing, no matter the weapon, and many players swear by the power of comeback: try it for yourself, especially if you want to also try QR.

-Dassa complicated one, flank-science. Flanking is very effective when the opponent(s) you're trying to get the jump on is/are forced to stop and deal with one or more of your teammates. So a short answer on IF to flank is if you feel your team can hold their ground against the opposing teamqwhilst you make youself a backdoor(how many are down on each side? are specials being used? who has what weapons/subs? yetta-momma-blah-blah).

When to flank is much more simple, will anyone notice you? The unseen squid is the splooshiest, so the legend goes.

PS: don't confuse flanking with ambushing. Not sure if ya do, but I'll think to myself "Heck yeah boi this'll be a sweet flank111!!" when I'm really just waiting in ambush for when they try to make a move into our side of the map.

Feel free to ask any questions on weapons, sloshers or otherwise.
I'm by no means a master of any weapon (maybe expert brush?), but I fancy myself at least profficient on any weapon kit.
Thank you so much! This was very helpful, especially with the flank-science (unfortunately not about the glutious maximus xp). It seems that I have a lot of ways to go with what gear I want to use with it, but your suggestions are a more than better starting point. I might want to focus more on getting up my special or have more Sub Saver since the Slosher itself seems to be very strong and doesn't need a lot of abilities boosting it.
Yeah I've been reading up on different Splatoon techniques and slow swimming is definitely one I need to work on. Not only that but cleaning up my play as well, as I'm very prone to death.
The Bucket is very fun and if I can keep getting consistent improvements I just might decide to put my baby Jet Squelcher to the side. I'll definitely look to you if I have another question rant like this. Again thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom