• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Specials: Map Involvement

JosephStardust

Inkling
Now, since we all know that the Specials in Splatoon 2 are all brand new, and that none of the specials from the original game will be returning, I am very optimistic that there will be an Inkstrike-resembling Special in the game.

Going back to my Call of Duty days, I always loved either getting my Hellstorm missile or Lightning Strike scorestreaks and pulling up my map to deploy them, and the Inkstrike from the original Splatoon resembled that so well, it filled me with such nostalgia.

Yes, the Ink-raining cloud is probably going to be that kind of special, but I don't like the idea of ink gently falling from the sky. I want my special to DESTROY the map and my enemies with a torrent of high-pressure ink all at once!

But, possibly with the regular weapon updates, there could be specials that will be introduced in the future, and maybe I will get to relive my Hellstorm missle memories again.

Last edited:

Slurmp

Pro Squid
NNID
HedgehogOverlord
Now, since we all know that the Specials in Splatoon 2 are all brand new, and that none of the specials from the original game will be returning, I am very optimistic that there will be an Inkstrike-resembling Special in the game.

Going back to my Call of Duty days, I always loved either getting my Hellstorm missile or Lightning Strike scorestreaks and pulling up my map to deploy them, and the Inkstrike from the original Splatoon resembled that so well, it filled me with such nostalgia.

Yes, the Ink-raining cloud is probably going to be that kind of special, but I don't like the idea of ink gently falling from the sky. I want my special to DESTROY the map and my enemies with a torrent of high-pressure ink all at once!

But, possibly with the regular weapon updates, there could be specials that will be introduced in the future, and maybe I will get to relive my Hellstorm missle memories again.
I didn't see it used in the demo but I assumed the cloud acted as a giant, moving splash wall with similar power. Has it been shown otherwise?

swamphox

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DawGnar

Look at the splashdown special....

97Stephen

Pro Squid
I didn't see it used in the demo but I assumed the cloud acted as a giant, moving splash wall with similar power. Has it been shown otherwise?
The cloud just goes up in the air and covers an amount of turf. It doesn't block shots or damage enemies.

JosephStardust

Inkling
Look at the splashdown special....
I've seen it in the demo, but I don't think that's exactly what I'm looking for. I was talking about an orbital strike from a missile/warsat instead of jumping there and slamming down. More like keeping the concept of the Inkstrike from the first game, yet unique to the sequel, as in a different scorestreak from the Call of Duty series. Maybe a Bombing Run or a Lightning Strike instead of a Hellstorm Missle. You know what I mean?

chubbypickle

Inkling Cadet
my only fear is that the game will have to many dominate areas, i just hope the game is balanced for a good competitive battle on both sides.

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
The cloud just goes up in the air and covers an amount of turf. It doesn't block shots or damage enemies.
Is there a video confirming that? Opponents' ink will always inflict damage on each other. I figured the path the clouds travel would slowly pursue enemies nearest its deployment point, covering turf and disrupting the enemy's formation simultaneously. If caught beneath the cloud, you'll surely sustain damage if not die. How couldn't you?

97Stephen

Pro Squid
Is there a video confirming that? Opponents' ink will always inflict damage on each other. I figured the path the clouds travel would slowly pursue enemies nearest its deployment point, covering turf and disrupting the enemy's formation simultaneously. If caught beneath the cloud, you'll surely sustain damage if not die. How couldn't you?
I can't say 100 percent, but going off of the reveal trailer it looks like the cloud will hover over and paint an area making it more of a long term area denial special than the inkstrike. In the video the roller on the bottom doesn't get splatted. Of course he could be taking damage that we just can't see. Technically you'll take damage from standing in enemies ink but that won't directly kill you.

Last edited:

swamphox

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DawGnar
I've seen it in the demo, but I don't think that's exactly what I'm looking for. I was talking about an orbital strike from a missile/warsat instead of jumping there and slamming down. More like keeping the concept of the Inkstrike from the first game, yet unique to the sequel, as in a different scorestreak from the Call of Duty series. Maybe a Bombing Run or a Lightning Strike instead of a Hellstorm Missle. You know what I mean?
Silly me. I was thinking of function rather than form :)

JosephStardust

Inkling
UPDATE:

Now that I have gone through and analyzed each confirmed special, I can come to an assumed conclusion that the Splat Missles will be that sort of special. It's the one where you point the missile launcher into the air, then aim the on-screen circle at any enemies in sight. Once fired, missles will launch into the air and target each player targeted in the circle, with four missles launching per targeted player.

It just kinda makes me a bit disappointed that I can't physically select/touch a portion of the map for an orbital strike, as was the case of the Inkstrike in the original game on the Wii U. As I have said before, that just brings up so much satisfaction and nostalgia back to my Call of Duty days, after finally earning a scorestreak, such as a Hellstorm missle/Lightning Strike/Bombing Run and unleashing it upon the entire map at once, especially the part of where I physically select the area of the map where I want the carnage to take place.

I guess the Splat Missles will be a good enough nostalgia piece for me, as there is still a factor of arial launch/death from above type of function, it's just that I can't select a real part of the map, like the Inkstrike.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom