• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon Disability Headcanons

KrisSplatoon

Senior Squid
Pronouns
they/she
Switch Friend Code
SW-4981-4348-0990
Does anyone else try and come up with in-universe ways to make Turf War/Ranked more accessible for disabled Inklings, Octolings, or other species?

I'll share one of my ideas to start:

1000007289.png

This is my idea for a wheelchair that can give the wheelchair rider the same level of mobility as their non-disabled counterparts! Please feel free to add your own ideas to this thread!

squid-lesbian

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
she/her
Switch Friend Code
SW-7740-0630-6914
I really like these ideas, and they would totally fit into the Splatoon universe!
Personally I would probably look at Octarian machinery for inspiration. Since Octarians are basically already using mobility aid, surely some of that stuff can be used or modified to be used with inklings and octolings as well!

strings

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
they/them
Switch Friend Code
SW-7616-8885-7288
Woooooaaah mobility aids that change with you in squid form I LOVE this

sometimes use an arm splint when my joint pain is bad, and my octoling is the same. I've had some ideas on how he'd use weapons one-handed, but now I might draw it out....
tl;dr - modified splint to help balance shooters on his bad forearm

KrisSplatoon

Senior Squid
Pronouns
they/she
Switch Friend Code
SW-4981-4348-0990
I really like these ideas, and they would totally fit into the Splatoon universe!
Personally I would probably look at Octarian machinery for inspiration. Since Octarians are basically already using mobility aid, surely some of that stuff can be used or modified to be used with inklings and octolings as well!
Oh yeah I guess they could reuse the tech they put into enemies like the Octohopper! Thank you for the suggestion!

squid-lesbian

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
she/her
Switch Friend Code
SW-7740-0630-6914
Oh yeah I guess they could reuse the tech they put into enemies like the Octohopper! Thank you for the suggestion!
Yeah, what came to my mind was a smaller version of the octo samurais scooter, just as an example. Basically a roller with built in mobility aid.

Pineapple Death Match

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-4487-0366-3601
oooo really like this thread :) lots of cool ideas here.

not a physical disability, but I've long held a headcanon that inkling society is very ADHD-friendly. It's common for stuff like watching/listening to two things at once, body-doubling on tasks, lots of reminders to keep track of tasks. Not so much that every inkling has ADHD but more that those that do (and non-inklings with ADHD) may not even notice or have to change their life very much : )

Hokuto

Full Squid
Pronouns
they/he/ze
Switch Friend Code
SW-5561-7608-9695
First of all, I love this thread. Respectful and accurate disability portrayal gives me serotonin. That being said, most of my headcanons aren't very well informed because I only have confidence in discussing my disability. Anyway:
  • There isn't very much canon disability representation aside from Old Man (Captain Cuttlefish) and extreme background character (Yoko), is there? I have been informed that Diagnosed by the Audience happens a lot in this fandom (this is your cue to Soyjak at the probably neurodivergent ABXY/Chirpy Chips), which, cool.
  • Most IRL cephalopods are functionally deaf. A d/Deaf Inkfish would not be at a significant disadvantage in society, especially if they're descended from one of the species that can "hear" the motion they feel around them.
  • There has to be another way around Splatsville besides all those stairs, right? Right?!
  • So if squids don't have bones, what's happening to their limbs?
  • And now we take a sharp turn from potentially relatable into "Hokuto what are you talking about" territory. My Agent/Captain 3 was based on a disabled OC from another fandom. (Don't worry, that OC is also mine.) I don't know to translate their disability over because I'm not working off of a human, I'm working off of an alien. (Except the autism. I am legally obligated to write at least one autistic character into every series where I create a player character, and that translates just fine.) I do like that idea of weapon prosthetics, but now I'm trying to imagine my Captain halfheartedly waving two fingers and a gun around during the Alterna intro cutscene. It might even be funnier that way.
EDIT: How did I miss that cephalopods are technically colorblind?!

Last edited:

a hot mess

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
They/Them
NNID
london
Switch Friend Code
SW-0705-2349-2993
Does anyone else try and come up with in-universe ways to make Turf War/Ranked more accessible for disabled Inklings, Octolings, or other species?

I'll share one of my ideas to start:

View attachment 9294

This is my idea for a wheelchair that can give the wheelchair rider the same level of mobility as their non-disabled counterparts! Please feel free to add your own ideas to this thread!
i know you! i'm that dude who made the breaking bad reference on twitter!

Eel-Ectric

Inkling
Pronouns
she/he/they
Switch Friend Code
SW-0840-7727-8401
My Agent 8 is deaf! I know that in real life, cephalopods are pretty deaf, but since so much of Splatoon's culture revolves around music, I just imagined that they evolved hearing. I imagine that there can be wristwatches or special glasses that can alert you to teammates going "Booyah!" or "This Way!". Just putting in visual cues for usually auditory-only cues (although in-game they're all visual as far as I know).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom