• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon is my first 'shooter'; what would you recommend next?

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
Basically the topic?

Just curious as to what you would recommend to me/others whose first major exposure to the shooting genre is Splatoon.

In my case, I don't exactly mean first EVER. I have played Halo Reach campaign, all MGS games, Borderlands 1 and 2, and most Resident Evils, but that's about it.

Splatoon is really just the first shooter that I've invested so much time in learning the ins and outs of the meta game, and gotten heavily involved in the online experience. I think so much of the draw is from the settings, concept and characters so I don't know if there IS another shooter with such appeal to me out there. Splatoon is really unique in those regards.

I just wanna hear opinions from experienced shooter gamers who enjoy Splatoon.

Silentium

Senior Squid
Doom 1 and 2. They're classics and are pretty good. Easy to learn, but can be hard at times. Very moddable, so you can find a lot of stuff if you're ever craving more Doom.

The Serious Sam series. Again, a classical styled FPS. You basically run around in wide spaces fighting hordes of dumb enemies. Difficult, even on normal.

The Half Life series as well. This series started the entire cinematic flare that many games have now.

You also have co-op games like Killing Floor 2 and Left For Dead 2. Both revolve around working in a group to get stuff done.

I could send a massive list of shooters, but there are SO MANY out there. I would instead say to STAY AWAY from anything too closely resembling CoD.

Lester Roquefort

Pro Squid
NNID
LesterRoquefort
Switch Friend Code
SW-2928-7410-6310
If playing an FPS on a gamepad is your first FPS, you're doing it wrong. PC FPS' are way better.

...I almost wish Nintendo would let us use mice again.

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
If playing an FPS on a gamepad is your first FPS, you're doing it wrong. PC FPS' are way better.

...I almost wish Nintendo would let us use mice again.
Ok? Name PC shooters that have the same draw to them as Splatoon.
For one reason or another, shooters are boring as nails to me. Splatoon has a classic Nintendo feel to it which is mostly what I've grown up playing. On the other "shooting" games I've played, I enjoy MGS for its characters, story and humor (and its stealth aspect, which makes it not so much of a shooter), RE for its violence and monster design (and its survival aspect, which makes it not so much of a shooter), and I didn't care for Halo too much at all. Halo and Borderlands had fun co-op campaigns that I played with friends, otherwise I'd never have sat through it on my own.

Come to think of it, I enjoyed a Platinum game called Vanquish on 360 years ago because it had lots of frenetic action in it, kind of like a fast paced Gears of War.

Point is, I don't really play shooting games because I like to shoot things... there always has to be some other concept intertwined to draw me in. So... whether I play with a mouse or a gamepad really makes no difference to me.

Litagano Motscoud

Inkling Commander
NNID
Litagano
I could send a massive list of shooters, but there are SO MANY out there. I would instead say to STAY AWAY from anything too closely resembling CoD.
I see no reason to limit oneself like that. CoD may not have much to set it apart, but that doesn't make it bad.

That being said, OP did mention that he wants to play a shooter with a gimmick, so one shooter I would recommend is Titanfall.

It's like CoD with parkour. You fight either as a pilot on foot or in a Titan. On foot, you can double-jump, wallrun, ride ziplines, and climb up ledges which opens up new fun ways to move around the battlefield. You have the ability to call down a Titan, a giant mech with very powerful weapons. Titans devastate Pilots, but can be countered with another Titan. Pilots aren't defenseless against Titans, as they have anti-Titan weapons they can use on foot, and can even grab on to a Titan and shoot directly into a Titan's systems, bypassing its shields and enabling Pilots to bring down Titans effectively. The parkour elements combined with this shooter make it a very fun game to play, IMO.

I'll suggest more in the future if I have time and can think of other ones.

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
Very correct about shooters with gimmicks. Haha.
I watched a friend play Titanfall once and it looked pretty cool. Forgot about that one!

ProjectJ

Inkling
For one reason or another, shooters are boring as nails to me. Splatoon has a classic Nintendo feel to it which is mostly what I've grown up playing. On the other "shooting" games I've played, I enjoy MGS for its characters, story and humor (and its stealth aspect, which makes it not so much of a shooter), RE for its violence and monster design (and its survival aspect, which makes it not so much of a shooter), and I didn't care for Halo too much at all. Halo and Borderlands had fun co-op campaigns that I played with friends, otherwise I'd never have sat through it on my own.

Come to think of it, I enjoyed a Platinum game called Vanquish on 360 years ago because it had lots of frenetic action in it, kind of like a fast paced Gears of War.

Point is, I don't really play shooting games because I like to shoot things... there always has to be some other concept intertwined to draw me in. So... whether I play with a mouse or a gamepad really makes no difference to me.
Well, if you dig Metal Gear for its story and stealth elements, and Resident Evil for its violence, monsters and survival focus, then The Last of Us may be just up your alley, as it excels at all of those elements.

TLoU's story may not be as original as some would have you believe, but it is presented well and is very character driven. Plus, it is meant to be played more as a stealth game than a run n' gun shooter. I don't think you ever even have to shoot anything if you're good enough at stealthing your way around. The game's limited resources really drive home that survival feel, and though TLoU's infected are not as varied as Resident Evil's monsters, they still get the job done quite well. It's an extremely violent game, which is usually a warning, but since you liked that in Resident Evil, it might be a selling point.

I will also second the Titanfall suggestion. The parkour elements and fast pace make it fun to play and really help it scratch that same itch as Splatoon's zipping around as a squid.

Lester Roquefort

Pro Squid
NNID
LesterRoquefort
Switch Friend Code
SW-2928-7410-6310

Now that i've read your post more, i have to apologize for my ignorance.

gtasgsdfd

Inkling
I highly recommend Perfect Dark for the Nintendo 64. You can also get a remake of the game on Xbox 360 Live Arcade, OR on the Xbox One game Rare Replay! It's basically like 007 games on the 64 with a sci-fi twist. You get super cool weapons like a sniper rifle that has thermal vision and can shoot through walls and kills on one hit, a "laptop gun" that acts as a turret, grenades that bounce around crazily before they explode, a rocket launcher that has a camera attached to the rocket you shoot you can control where it impacts and much more! This was my favorite shooter until Splatoon was released but I know I'm not doing it justice in its description. Seriously check it out if you haven't already! (Excuse the crappy graphics, it's old but really fun)

Of course as someone stated here earlier the original Doom! It's cheap and if you don't feel like paying for it it's easy to find for free online. Everyone and their mother's played Doom, Bethesda are releasing a reboot/remake/sequel that's supposed to be faithful to the spirit of the original later this year only with HD graphics. Check some clips out on YT. Maybe playing old school Doom would get ya excited for the new one?

Lastly, I suggest you take some time to play Chex Quest!! If you like shooters with a gimmick like Splatoon, and are a Doom fan in any capacity, then you should LOVE THIS GAME!! It is essentially a Doom rip-off with a new child-friendly skin on top of it from Chex cereal! It's hilarious and awful in an awesome way! You wear Chex cereal armor, have non-violent weapons that "teleport" the bad guys who are walking slime. Do some googling on this one it's great. Here's a YT vid!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom