• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon will probably receive mixed reviews

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
I'm surprised no one has mentioned that a few game critic sites have already been very open about their dislike of no voice chat, etc. and I feel like that and its content at launch will create earlier reviews to be lower than later reviews- the UK direct said maps will drop every few weeks and more modes will become available as players begin leveling up, etc. so the game might shape up much differently than when it was first launched.

Zoot

Inkling Commander
NNID
IveGotAMegaphone
I'm expecting reviews in the 80s and 90s because everyone loves Splatoon. There will be points knocked off for the voice chat thing, but the fact that every preview-player I've seen has come away with nothing but positivity means this is going to score very well. The fact that it's such a crazy fun and groundbreaking game counts for a lot!
- fun is not quantifiable - a game can be the most fun thing in the world, but critics are trained to look for flaws. This is probably why the fan reaction will be really high, but the critic scores lower. I don't mind this because hopefully it'll make the next game (or dlc) much better.
If fun didn't matter in reviews, no Nintendo game would ever reach the high scores that they do. Game reviewers (mostly) aren't COD-loving, realistic graphics-obsessed close-minded people, they got into the job because they love games.

Last edited:

Kayeka

Pro Squid
NNID
Kayeka
It's discussion like these that really make me appreciate Kotaku's review system. For all the faults Kotaku might have, limiting review scores to "yes" or "no" was a great invention.

Yaezakura

Pro Squid
I haven't put much stock in reviews in a long, long time. The entire system is borked.

We have a 1-10 scale where a score under 7 is basically reserved for games that are literally broken instead of terrible. A 5 should be an average game, not some kind of catastrophic failure.

Then there's the style of the reviews themselves, which never really talk about the experience of actually playing the game and instead break down a game's technical aspects. Sure, how good the graphics are and how responsive and intuitive the controls are are important pieces of information... but when your review doesn't bother to include things like how enjoyable or engaging the game was, you're doing something wrong. Can you imagine movie reviews that, instead of talking about enjoyable the movie was, instead focused solely on how well executed the cinematic devices used to record it were? Because that's what we get in games all the time.

Hi_C

Full Squid
I have a theory about this game honestly. Keep in mind it is just MY personal thoughts which could be entirely wrong. I personally think that this is like someone mentioned before, the testing grounds for a new game in an exhausted genre. If this game is popular enough to warrant a sequel (which honestly seems very likely) and Nintendo stretches out the time between the two, I think the second game will definitely the better of the two. Not to say that this one is bad, but being able to polish a concept and learn from their mistakes will benefit them a lot. Plus, they may have more hardware to work with and other things. I know thinking about a sequel is kinda ridiculous considering we haven't even gotten the first game, but if anyone is actually worried about the review score, don't let it deter you from picking it up. I think it will definitely get 8+ scores with some of the more notoriously low scoring sites giving it under that. The gameplay is fluid, and the concept is new and interesting. We'll see though.

Geistbox

Full Squid
I'm surprised no one has mentioned that a few game critic sites have already been very open about their dislike of no voice chat, etc. and I feel like that and its content at launch will create earlier reviews to be lower than later reviews- the UK direct said maps will drop every few weeks and more modes will become available as players begin leveling up, etc. so the game might shape up much differently than when it was first launched.
It has only really been noted by one publication (IGN), where the point was mostly that Splatoon was already a very fun game that would be even better with voice chat. Several other previews from publications like Metro have said that they felt the game worked just fine without it.

I can see the lack of voice chat being criticized but that doesn't mean I think it'll be cause for reviewers to shoot down their judgment by a large margin. This is a case of lack of voice chat being an annoyance but not a dealbreaker.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
with only 6 maps, ~20 weapons, and a 6-7 hour long campaign, you might be right - lack of content will be a huge criticism with the game

however that's about as much content as tf2 and cod4 at launch, so we can't really measure the amount of content to consume as the quality of the game and its longevity

not to mention, it will be getting constant free content patches with new maps, weapons, and even features like private lobbies

splatoon might get mixed reviews, but i think a smart consumer will be able to see the good game right through them

besides, multiplayer games usually get a skimp on this on the merit of being multiplayer. tf2 was honestly really lacking content in 2007 until 2010, with a slow burn of new weapons and maps, but that didn't stop it from being considered nearly perfect

Last edited:

Radi

Senior Squid
NNID
InfinityBeamX
What you are saying could be right. Many sites tend to nitpick on a certain thing just so a game can get a lower score than it may or may not deserve. Take IGN's review on Pokemon OR/AS as a great example of this.

As for lack of content, these reviewers should know that there's going to be more content in the final product. To extend on this point, DLC is very likely for Splatoon in the future, so that needs to be put into consideration when reviewing games, more specifically Splatoon in this case.

suavevillain

Inkling Cadet
The game has it's own issues splatoon at launch may not be worth 60 depends on your perspective. I will respect the reviews high or low. The complete pack is august.

RoyLee

Inkling Commander
NNID
InfernoUprising
I will guess that it will be between 80 and 90 on metacritic. FYI just so you all know the review will drop on the 27th.

ON TOPIC: Yes, it probably won't receive rave reviews, but the thing that I love about this game is that its already got the fan base that this game deserves and that is us. I would guess that 96.5% of us on the forums would say that we love this game. We already know that we are getting a game that doesn't have a lot of content, and that is why some people might say that it should cost $40. However, I believe that Splatoon is with $60 because of the following reasons.
  • Tons of replayability
  • Splatfests
  • Community
  • Super user friendly
  • And most importantly, free DLC after launch
Nintendo releasing free DLC after the game is a fantastic idea. If they want us to enjoy the game even more and make it so that they can add game value that wasn't there before, then you better make sure it is free. This is why Nintendo does a good job as far as DLC. I mean, just look at Mario Kart 8. It got 16 Tracks, 6 Racers, and 8 Karts all for the very low price of $11.99. You are plying $12 dollars for half of the original Mario Kart 8 experience. That is rediculous! The DLC was so worth it, especially now that the game has 200cc.

Splatoon is doing something similar by being generous. I praise the devs for doing that and I can't wait to see where the game takes the general public, and to me, most importantly, the community.

Cloudy

Shake Shake!
NNID
Cloud6483
I'd imagine some sites will recommend that you hold off until August just to play the game. But then again since all of the DLC will be free maybe it won't detract from the score?

Deku

Senior Squid
NNID
Rolandd
It's discussion like these that really make me appreciate Kotaku's review system. For all the faults Kotaku might have, limiting review scores to "yes" or "no" was a great invention.
Personally, my favorite review system comes from Jeremy Jahns (he usually does movies, but sometimes games as well):
- awesome(tacular)
- worth buying at full price
- worth buying on sale
- worth renting or borrowing from a friend
- crap

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
It has only really been noted by one publication (IGN), where the point was mostly that Splatoon was already a very fun game that would be even better with voice chat. Several other previews from publications like Metro have said that they felt the game worked just fine without it.

I can see the lack of voice chat being criticized but that doesn't mean I think it'll be cause for reviewers to shoot down their judgment by a large margin. This is a case of lack of voice chat being an annoyance but not a dealbreaker.
There are more than just IGN who although they enjoy it, still mention it as a negative or annoyance or possibly a 'mistake.'

Also some people seem worried it will get stale fast after the novelty wears away but I don't see that happening with the other modes coming.

Shirma Akayaku

Pro Squid
NNID
Toadette75
Aren't reviews held until the 27th? I'm pretty sure GameXplain mentioned this in a video once, so I'll assume that review embargo applies to every other reviewer.

doop

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Elias56
you cant really predict these things, apart from when the game is bad, unlike splatoon

KurashiDragon

Full Squid
NNID
KurashiDragon
I've already accepted the fact that this game will have mixed reviews. It's not that hard to see why too. The game's sheer lack of content will be it's downfall day 1. The updates are free but they're not actually coming out for a while. Even with multiplayer, there just wont be enough to hold it over until the next updates come.

Shirma Akayaku

Pro Squid
NNID
Toadette75
I've already accepted the fact that this game will have mixed reviews. It's not that hard to see why too. The game's sheer lack of content will be it's downfall day 1. The updates are free but they're not actually coming out for a while. Even with multiplayer, there just wont be enough to hold it over until the next updates come.
Let's not forget to emphasize that it's FREE updates. I'm sure reviewers out there will undervalue the free updates and make it seem bad or meh because of the "long" wait times between each update. I don't know how long it will take for each and every update to arrive, but in the mean time, let's see how it plays out.

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
Let's not forget to emphasize that it's FREE updates. I'm sure reviewers out there will undervalue the free updates and make it seem bad or meh because of the "long" wait times between each update. I don't know how long it will take for each and every update to arrive, but in the mean time, let's see how it plays out.
The UK direct said there will be map updates every few weeks which will most likely come with some gear as well, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom