Squid Tips!

Gunster25

Pro Squid
From watching the streams of Splatoon so far I and many over of you will probably have some tips which could be useful to improve other's performance. This thread is for people to post those tips for other to improve and for you to learn something new at the same time!

My First Tip:
Ink Reservation:
-When you're not in combat keep an eye on your ink tank to make sure that there is still a decent amount of ink left for just in case an enemy appears. This may seem like you're wasting valuable ink for completing the main objective but at the end of the day it's better to waste a little ink to be safe from death than giving away a life to the enemy.

Second Tip:
-Another thing to do is to glance at the gamepad every once in a while, knowing which ways the enemy may approach you from where their ink is appearing om the map could be the difference between life and death. Be prepared to surprise your enemy/enemies when they are approaching you, just like in other shooters getting the first shot on an opponent is a major advantage.

Astral

Astral Finish!
NNID
AstralFinish
I really need to remember that first tip, I only got to play the testfire for about 20 minutes and went low on ink numerous times. I'm assuming this is a habit we will eventually learn over time

Kielhaul

Inkster Jr.
NNID
JADbones96
Also always keep moving (if you're not charger) spread your ink always, don't focus on kills. And do not camp. Some people don't realize this game plays different from other shooters. It's about covering area. I recommend watching Andrè from gamexplain he's got the right idea.

Gunster25

Pro Squid
I really need to remember that first tip, I only got to play the testfire for about 20 minutes and went low on ink numerous times. I'm assuming this is a habit we will eventually learn over time
Yeah, having people you know that are on the opposite team also helps, they can tell you what to do to improve and such as well.

ndayadn

yeah
NNID
Seabass
Cancel your animations by "shift cancelling" to optimize movement.

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Thanks for the tips, I'll keep these in mind whenever I get the game.

Snivy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Sonicxpika
Does inking around your respawn area count to the score? If so that's a tip to remember as well.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
Second Tip:
-Another thing to do is to glance at the gamepad every once in a while, knowing which ways the enemy may approach you from where their ink is appearing om the map could be the difference between life and death. Be prepared to surprise your enemy/enemies when they are approaching you, just like in other shooters getting the first shot on an opponent is a major advantage.
Also, watch for the telltale trails left by Rollers and Chargers, they're very easy to spot from the Gamepad. It's like you've got a NSA surveillance tracker on them.

LyonDRC

Inkling
NNID
LyonDRC
I can think of a couple of tips. However, can't say they're truly helpful since I only got to try them during two sessions of the Global Tests.

Tip 1:
Like the @Kielhaul said, don't focus on getting kills. Don't get me wrong, if you find someone from the opposite team definitely go all on them but don't be scared of fleeing. If you don't think you'll win the fight escape by creating a path of ink and moving as a squid. You can also just run in circles or whatnot until your health is back and then go back for the kill!

Tip 2:
Like @Gunster25 said, look at the Gamepad from time to time. Whenever you re-spawn make sure to look at the map before you decide where you're going.

Tip 3:
Don't go the same path as your teammates. This happened to me a lot in the Global Test; I'd quickly take a path and someone else (from my team) would follow after my ink. Don't do this! You should try and take different routes so you can get your color's ink in other parts of the map as fast and sooner as possible.

Tip 4:
Walls don't matter in turf mode, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't use them! I'm not 100% sure but I'm positive that the floor above the walls do count for it, plus, you can surprise your opponents by attacking them from a vertical position!

Tip 5:
Jumping helps to confuse opponents. This isn't as reliable as it may sound, but it did helped me sometimes. Just make sure to not confuse your aiming too!

Tip 6 (for Splattershot Jr. users):
In the Global Test I mainly used the Splattershot Jr. and while this may be more of how my playstyle is, I recommend you to not care about too much about your base when you first spawn. Just make a quick linear path of ink and follow it as a squid, and then repeat. Once you're on the middle of the map start worrying about getting your ink in as mamy places as you can ;D

Tip 7:
Paint the corners and small un-inked places left behind! This is best done when you have the control of the game, go back to your base or other parts and focus on painting all the small places left behind. Sometimes they matter ;)

And that's it from me :P TheJWittz said he'd be uploading a 50-tips video for Splatoon so be sure to check that out once it comes out ;)

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
NNID
RespawningJesus
My tip for everyone? Play as if you had one life. In other words, play to not die. Live to fight another day.

Last edited:

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
Tip 3:
Don't go the same path as your teammates. This happened to me a lot in the Global Test; I'd quickly take a path and someone else (from my team) would follow after my ink. Don't do this! You should try and take different routes so you can get your color's ink in other parts of the map as fast and sooner as possible.
Although splitting up is more efficient for inking when the coast is clear, it also makes you more vulnerable. When you need to aggressively push forward and take out enemies that are in your way, strength in numbers is key. This is an important principle in most every shooter.

Since there is still merit to splitting up in this game, more than other games, I think it helps to try and think of two types of territory as you're analyzing the map: territory that is not being actively defended and territory that is. Split up for the former, but stick together for the latter.

Also, please, if a teammate with a Bubble special keeps mashing the d-pad voice commands, go accompany them. They're trying to tell you something important.

LyonDRC

Inkling
NNID
LyonDRC
Although splitting up is more efficient for inking when the coast is clear, it also makes you more vulnerable. When you need to aggressively push forward and take out enemies that are in your way, strength in numbers is key. This is an important principle in most every shooter.

Since there is still merit to splitting up in this game, more than other games, I think it helps to try and think of two types of territory as you're analyzing the map: territory that is not being actively defended and territory that is. Split up for the former, but stick together for the latter.

Also, please, if a teammate with a Bubble special keeps mashing the d-pad voice commands, go accompany them. They're trying to tell you something important.
Oh! I guess I forgot to put it, with Tip 3 I meant in the start of the game, when you first spawn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom