Tableturf Battle

Tableturfer

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-1759-0136-2311
Haven't seen a thread on Tableturf here, so figured I'd fix that.

This mode deserves more attention, to be honest. While I understand the gameplay loop is less active than Turf War, it's still an extremely faithful adaptation of the mode and still plays very similarly to it in spite of being a puzzle game instead of a shooter. While past Splatoon minigames such as Squid Jump and Squid Beatz simply borrowed the aesthetics of Splatoon, Tableturf Battle actually cares about Splatoon's core mechanics of painting as a form of area control. I'd even go as far to say that learning basic Tableturf strategy helps teach Turf War strategy too.

It's a slower, cerebral version of Turf War that nevertheless remains easily digestible at a 12-turn limit, and in all honesty, I think the only mode in Splatoon 3 I possibly like more than Tableturf is Clam Blitz. I don't expect so much fervor for the game from everyone else, but a lot of y'all're still sleeping on what is an amazing mode. It's definitely still a puzzle game instead of a shooter, but variety is the spice of life, no?

All that said, if you're already into Tableturf and would like to discuss something other than its underratedness, what's your favorite card?
Personally, I really like Tri-Stringer; it has a good amount of reach-around for an 11 block card, making it good for both taking and denying space. I'm one of those players that has a deck for each Tableturf Battle stage, and I'm pretty sure I still have Tri-Stringer in each and every one of those decks.

1706638526936.png

Tableturfer

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-1759-0136-2311
No, and even if I were, I'd detest the whole of Tableturf discussion being limited to a single Discord server.

glue!

Inkling
but actually talking about the question i dont have a favorite card but i do have a favorite archetype!
1706640781771.png1706640792015.png1706640816731.png1706640833973.png

AaronIsP1

Inkling
My favourite card is probably Marigold. It’s a very underrated card in the competitive scene, with its ability to wrap around the starting block for 3 special when comboed with Tentatek.

Although I did apparently make this card meta on Lakefront Property so I guess I was somewhat successful in making this card more popular.

Tableturfer

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-1759-0136-2311
Marigold is definitely underrated. I like to play it on Box Seats, actually; it's an extremely punishing special attack on that map as there's usually still space for it even in the final three turns.

Beat0s

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
she/they
Switch Friend Code
SW-2512-8228-1908
Haven't seen a thread on Tableturf here, so figured I'd fix that.

This mode deserves more attention, to be honest. While I understand the gameplay loop is less active than Turf War, it's still an extremely faithful adaptation of the mode and still plays very similarly to it in spite of being a puzzle game instead of a shooter. While past Splatoon minigames such as Squid Jump and Squid Beatz simply borrowed the aesthetics of Splatoon, Tableturf Battle actually cares about Splatoon's core mechanics of painting as a form of area control. I'd even go as far to say that learning basic Tableturf strategy helps teach Turf War strategy too.

It's a slower, cerebral version of Turf War that nevertheless remains easily digestible at a 12-turn limit, and in all honesty, I think the only mode in Splatoon 3 I possibly like more than Tableturf is Clam Blitz. I don't expect so much fervor for the game from everyone else, but a lot of y'all're still sleeping on what is an amazing mode. It's definitely still a puzzle game instead of a shooter, but variety is the spice of life, no?

All that said, if you're already into Tableturf and would like to discuss something other than its underratedness, what's your favorite card?
Personally, I really like Tri-Stringer; it has a good amount of reach-around for an 11 block card, making it good for both taking and denying space. I'm one of those players that has a deck for each Tableturf Battle stage, and I'm pretty sure I still have Tri-Stringer in each and every one of those decks.

View attachment 8342
we should try to get tableturf it's own dedicated forum to make it easier to find tableturf specific resources

AaronIsP1

Inkling
we should try to get tableturf it's own dedicated forum to make it easier to find tableturf specific resources
As glue mentioned above, there is the Tableturf battle server, which is the main hub for anything Tableturf-related. They have resources as well as channels to ask top players for advice

Although a dedicated forum would be nice.

nightpool

Inkling
I agree, it would be great to have a Tableturf sub-forum! In fact, I just saw a ping from the TBS server and got excited thinking that they might be announcing a collab with Squidboards. Having a forum would lend itself to more longer term projects than are occasionally annoying to run over discord, like @Bread_Enthusiast's Puzzles of the Day: I could see those being a lot easier to follow in a forums format if he would be interested.

Switch Friend Code
SW-4639-2862-8490
I agree, it would be great to have a Tableturf sub-forum! In fact, I just saw a ping from the TBS server and got excited thinking that they might be announcing a collab with Squidboards. Having a forum would lend itself to more longer term projects than are occasionally annoying to run over discord, like @Bread_Enthusiast's Puzzles of the Day: I could see those being a lot easier to follow in a forums format if he would be interested.
Interesting, I’ve never thought of that. Maybe that’s something to look into if enough people are interested.

TruthSeekr

Inkling
I am honestly really excited about the new stages. I really like Tableturf and even tried a bit of competitive at one point, but I didn't have enough time to play with others often and I got burnt out on playing the same CPUs over and over again.

However, these new maps get me excited about Tableturf again. These maps seem pretty gimmicky and I like gimmicky maps. If nothing else, there will be new ways to play that invites more experimentation and that's fun.

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
tturf is always a nice thing for me to do if I ever get tired of x battles. which isn't often, but it's nice to have for if I want it. It's just so fun. and it's great to see Nintendo still paying attention to it

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom