team friendship??? bwuh???

oxiicleandotcom

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-7868-4710-7882
i remember a while ago after jackpot won the NA championship they opened a q&a for their podcast, and I asked if having a good friendship with your team affects gameplay but i didn't watch it lmfao

as much as i care about improving mechanically the question still pops into my head and i still dont rlly know the answer tbh, id like 2 just hear other ppls thoughts 🦑

blu_aaa

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-2473-2014-2344
Having a good relationship with your teammates is essential to having a stable team for the long term, and it doesn't hurt to have more friends as well! Having some casual time with your teammates by playing other games or doing anything else really helps keep a bond and positive mindset for when yall play in scrims or tourneys

MMOToaster

Semi-Pro Squid
My team is also my primary friend group. If they weren't I highly doubt we'd be able to critic one another as well as we do now, so it definitely helps improving. Besides that considering you're playing with these people multiple times a week, being on good terms is essential. How would you still have fun otherwise? :-)

kyubone

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4233-4941-7227
yeah, it helps! at the very least it's healthy for everyone's mental to have a friendly connection and to enjoy each other's company. it's easy for me to jump into opens and salmon run with my teammates since i think we all recognize the importance of just Hanging Out sometimes and not sticking to the grind 24/7.

maybe someday i'll get them to play ffxiv with me...

GreGuru

Inkling
Different things work for different people. As others have stated, the closeness and bonding that comes with being good friends with your teammates can definitely help with keeping the vibes good, making sure everyone is comfortable in communication, and keeping the team together long term.

There are reasons why you may not want that though. Similar to how it’s generally seen as a risky idea to go into business with your best friend or become roommates with your best friend, becoming so intertwined can be a problem if just one aspect of the relationship isn’t working. For instance, maybe you want to play the game 7 days a week and grind all the way up to top level, but your friend isn’t that serious about it and only wants to practice once or twice a week. It’s not fair to have someone with different goals than you hold you back, but it’s also a shame if leaving that team also means leaving the friendship. Some players, especially ones who aren’t as mature, may have trouble differentiating you breaking up from the team and breaking up with them.

I find it’s not very hard to keep in touch with former teammates that I vibe with even if we’re not great matches as teammates anymore and when seeking a team, I’m just looking for a group with similar goals and views on the game who I can feel comfortable around, but I don’t necessarily need them to be a big part of my personal/social life. Kind of like coworkers in a way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom