• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The First "Legitamate" Custom Splatoon 1 Map

Drew Sebastino

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Espozo
Switch Friend Code
SW-3924-6316-9401
I never said it was pretty. :p There have been two or so "custom maps" before, but what's important about this one, is that there's actual custom geometry, not just a bunch of floating predefined objects. Slatgamer3600 in the comments has recognized it as a smaller version of the Sonic Adventure 2 test stage:

I'd imagine this could lead to whatever you want, really. It'd be really funny to see Splatoon 2 maps backported to the first game.

The problem is, however, that there's no way to actually increase the number of stages or weapons, feasibly anyway. The thing that actually defines the number of stages and weapons, as well as the internal name for each, is in the actual .rpx code file, and unless somebody knows and is going to deal with Power PC machine code, it's not happening. Somebody made an IDA Pro plugin for Wii U games (if anyone here knows what I'm talking about) but it isn't compatible with the latest version of IDA Pro. :(

Drew Sebastino

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Espozo
Switch Friend Code
SW-3924-6316-9401
Not quite as groundbreaking, but now the Splatoon 2 Splattershot model has been imported, lol.

I'd love to know how this person is extracting this from Splatoon 2. People keep hacking into the Switch's firmware, but Nintendo keeps patching it up immediately after.

Goont

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PrankingMaster
I'd love to see Splatoon with a modding scene akin to Smash. Crazy custom maps are such a defining part of shooters for me, it's a shame Splatoon has no way of doing so. Hopefully as time passes the custom map scene can mature into something special. (Imagine ports of trade_hyrule and sm64_castle from the Source Engine!)

Drew Sebastino

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Espozo
Switch Friend Code
SW-3924-6316-9401
Well, the same person actually ported over the Temple of Time (walls are currently broken though)

The problem is that even if it's theoretically possible, unlike Super Smash Bros, Splatoon is an online multiplayer centric game, and none of this will work unless everyone who is playing has the exact same stage mods. You won't even be able to join public matches if the custom map is overwriting the one in the rotation, which is one reason why I think it is important to try and alter the .rpx file to add more map/weapon/gear slots.

I actually just downloaded an older version of IDA Pro and found where the internal weapon names are defined in the .rpx file, so that's a start. A huge problem though, is that I can't just add more entries to this list because I'd be overwriting data after it; I'd have to move this list to the end of the file and expand it, but also find wherever it is referenced and change the pointers among other things. The other part of the problem, is that the Wii U's kernel apparently doesn't like having the part of ram where this resides being written to past initially loading the game, so you'd have to get around that as well.

Screenshot (8).png

Anyway, here's a really silly (and surprisingly natural looking) character model mod (made by Hefty as well):

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom