• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The Nintendo NX might actually indeed launch in 2016.

CM2

Inkling Cadet
NNID
chenmaster2
http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20151130PD203.html

"Nintendo's new game console is scheduled to enter mass production at the end of the first quarter 2016 and despite the fact that the Japan-based company is targeting to ship 20 million units in 2016, the device's upstream component suppliers expect shipments to only reach around 10-12 million units. Foxconn Electronics (Hon Hai Precision Industry) reportedly has been chosen to manufacture the device, but the company declined to comment on its clients or orders.

The new console is estimated to enter mass shipments in the second quarter. In addition to Foxconn, suppliers such as Foxconn Technology, Macronix, Pixart Imaging, Coxon Precise Industrial, Nishoku Technology, Delta Technology, Lingsen Precision Industries and Jentech will also supply components for the device.

Digitimes Research expects Microsoft's Xbox One and Sony's PlayStation 4 to achieve shipments of 13 and 18 million units, respectively in 2016, and if Nintendo's new console is able to ship 10 million units in the year, the company will then be able to maintain its competitiveness in the market."

Keep in mind this is just a rumor so it may not ending up being true but hey you never know.

Last edited:

MintChipper

Inkling Cadet
NNID
TonyEH
Foxconn rumors usually aren't false, I'll be happy if we get Monster Hunter X on NX. I am skeptical about a non-holiday release, but oh well.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
I can see it actually. I'm extremely excited for it actually.

The Wii U is more or less, dead. And Nintendo would want to get their new thing out in consumer's hands as soon as possible. The Black Friday bundle helped the Wii U, but I honestly believe they wrote it off already so no skin off their nose if they put two of it's best games on it. Anything to get money from what they already made.

I hate to repeat myself but the "NX" will be the last Nintendo console I'll buy unless they clean up their act and get themselves some decent third party support this time around and less games from Ninty themselves like amiibo festival and Mario Tennis. You know how we make fun of games on the PS3/360/PS4/XBONE by saying "Better Graphics, less features. Next Gen baby!" That is literally Mario Tennis Ultra Smash.

I want less games like those and more games like Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Smash, Yoshi's Wooly World, Splatoon, Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, Pikmin 3, Xenoblade Chronicles X, and Super Mario Maker. Add Wind Waker HD to that list and that's only 10 games that I'd honestly replay on the Wii U, that's a depressingly low amount of games. Here's hoping Zelda U, Star Fox, and Pokken are great.

I really hope the NX has a much better library than the Wii U. I grew up with Ninty but I need to have more than 20 games that's worth playing on the NX if I feel like I got my money's worth. I'm extremely excited for the NX as a major Nintendo fan, but they need to really try on this one or I'll be playing on my computer for future games.

Sasorin

Inkling
I know its just rumors but is it not a bit early in the Wii U's lifespan to release a brand new console? As much as I love Nintendo and having just purchased a New Nintendo 3DS XL myself, it wouldn't be smart financially to release another console so soon considering the Wii U isnt doing that great right now imo. But I mean hey Nintendo knows its stuff. I'm sure they've thought this out.

lostleader

Senior Squid
NNID
lostleader
The actual problem with it launching in 2016 is that a lot of people. Straight up a lot of 'em will see another console launch and be like I already bought a system for my kids last year! Im not buying another one! This is honestly the biggest problem I have with it, because the Wii U finally got some steam thanks to Black Friday sales, being the top selling item on Target.com and being among 3 of the best on target overall.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Not too sure how I feel about this. I got my U about this time last year, so I wouldn't be too worried about the whole "but I just got a new system!" mindset... assuming the NX came out this time next year.

Another thing: the Wii U was first shown off at E3 2011, but it didn't come out until November/December of 2012. If we don't even know what the console looks like, how can we expect to have it in our hands by next fall? Unless it's another New 3DS situation, where what we're getting is just an upgraded Wii U.

savanaa

Inkling
NNID
hydroxi
I know its just rumors but is it not a bit early in the Wii U's lifespan to release a brand new console? As much as I love Nintendo and having just purchased a New Nintendo 3DS XL myself, it wouldn't be smart financially to release another console so soon considering the Wii U isnt doing that great right now imo. But I mean hey Nintendo knows its stuff. I'm sure they've thought this out.
that's what I was thinking too!
{also, I'm scared they'll release the next animal crossing on the NX instead of the Wii u. :,^)}

lostleader

Senior Squid
NNID
lostleader
Another thing: the Wii U was first shown off at E3 2011, but it didn't come out until November/December of 2012. If we don't even know what the console looks like, how can we expect to have it in our hands by next fall? Unless it's another New 3DS situation, where what we're getting is just an upgraded Wii U.
Never really considered just like an updated wii u. In which case, i think it would have my support. Either I can just use the gamepad and they sell the NX console at a discount or you can get a gamepad with it for its stadard price. yes yes I like this idea far more than a new console. Although in a lot of ways Wii U is just an updated Wii

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I remember reading somewhere that individual Gamepads are being sold standalone in Japan now. I wonder, if the NX is indeed a new console, if the Gamepad can be used as a separate controller; and if so, what implications that has for the NX's specs.

Of course, all this talk about the patented full-screen buttonless controller leads me to think it's more likely to be a new console.

warghoul

Inkling Cadet
I can see it actually. I'm extremely excited for it actually.

The Wii U is more or less, dead. And Nintendo would want to get their new thing out in consumer's hands as soon as possible. The Black Friday bundle helped the Wii U, but I honestly believe they wrote it off already so no skin off their nose if they put two of it's best games on it. Anything to get money from what they already made.

I hate to repeat myself but the "NX" will be the last Nintendo console I'll buy unless they clean up their act and get themselves some decent third party support this time around and less games from Ninty themselves like amiibo festival and Mario Tennis. You know how we make fun of games on the PS3/360/PS4/XBONE by saying "Better Graphics, less features. Next Gen baby!" That is literally Mario Tennis Ultra Smash.

I want less games like those and more games like Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Smash, Yoshi's Wooly World, Splatoon, Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, Pikmin 3, Xenoblade Chronicles X, and Super Mario Maker. Add Wind Waker HD to that list and that's only 10 games that I'd honestly replay on the Wii U, that's a depressingly low amount of games. Here's hoping Zelda U, Star Fox, and Pokken are great.

I really hope the NX has a much better library than the Wii U. I grew up with Ninty but I need to have more than 20 games that's worth playing on the NX if I feel like I got my money's worth. I'm extremely excited for the NX as a major Nintendo fan, but they need to really try on this one or I'll be playing on my computer for future games.
I hate to say it but I think the solid 3rd party support for the Big N is not gonna change any time soon. I think a lot of 3rd party makers feel that they compete with Nintendo unlike Sony and Microsoft. With their 1st party games lacking and being so few and far between 3rd party developers have no competition really, game wise with Sony or Microsoft unlike Nintendo. Look at all the half arsed ports the WiiU got. No effort at all really. Come on minecraft would have its best port yet on the WiiU if they incorporated in the game pad but they didnt and thats not because of Nintendo. I could go on but Ill save it for another day.

I buy Nintendo to play Nintendo games. More 3rd party games would be awesome. A lot my all time favorite games for Nintendo are 3rd party. I just learned to accept that if I want other then Nintendo games I need to buy another device.

Silentium

Senior Squid
Not too sure how I feel about this. I got my U about this time last year, so I wouldn't be too worried about the whole "but I just got a new system!" mindset... assuming the NX came out this time next year.

If it does come out in the Holiday Season of 2016, that would be a four year lifespan. You have to remember that the typical lifespan of a console is only about four years, so it's not really unfounded that the next gen console would release. The problem is that in modern times, the lifespan of consoles have dramatically increased. Ending the console now isn't the brightest idea.

I would like to have at least two more years with my Wii U. Considering the rough start, it doesn't feel like that I've been doing as much with my Wii U as I should be.

Sasorin

Inkling
The problem is that in modern times, the lifespan of consoles have dramatically increased. Ending the console now isn't the brightest idea.
In the Wii U's case, it is undoubtedly struggling with making people want one, hence shortening its lifespan further. All my friends are hesitant to jump on the "Wii U Want" train purely because of the lack of good games, save face for Splatoon and Smash, and a couple of nice gems. I love Nintendo and everything and am a huge supporter of the things they do, but if they don't try to get in some more 3rd party (particularly ones people wanna see) or bring back all the IP's they have, the Wii U won't last long. Also Gamecube virtual console when?

Pivi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
HeroPivi
Ahhhh what? I'm not ready for the NX yet, my Wii U is still great!!!

I'd imagine it's gonna be the big news at E3, but they'd be fools to release it before/at the same time as Star Fox and Zelda U

Pteropine

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RennyKlavan

False. Kimishima said that the NX is NOT like the Wii and Wii U

Silentium

Senior Squid
That's pretty assuring actually. Sounds like at least they're aware of some of the problems they had with the Wii U.

I'd imagine it's gonna be the big news at E3, but they'd be fools to release it before/at the same time as Star Fox and Zelda U
inb4 Nintendo wins E3...
On a serious note, and as I've said before, they wouldn't announce a new console and then release it six months later.

In the Wii U's case, it is undoubtedly struggling with making people want one, hence shortening its lifespan further. All my friends are hesitant to jump on the "Wii U Want" train purely because of the lack of good games, save face for Splatoon and Smash, and a couple of nice gems. I love Nintendo and everything and am a huge supporter of the things they do, but if they don't try to get in some more 3rd party (particularly ones people wanna see) or bring back all the IP's they have, the Wii U won't last long. Also Gamecube virtual console when?
Well seeing as the system has been out for a few years and as it's been doing kind of decently, I'd doubt they'd just pull the plug. They have a couple more hard hitters coming out next year, and that may end up making money. I mean, I doubt they're bleeding money. We also have to consider that the next gen console is coming out, so why not get as much as you can out of the current one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom