• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The proper usage of weapons in contexts! (and other oddities)

Nico Nico Sleep

Pro Squid
So as I was playing earlier, I noticed many players using the Roller and racing towards me while I had the Splattershot/Jr.; of course this worked out in my favor and I was able to kill them before they were in splatting range. The end result would usually be my team with 800 p and above while the opposing team has a low 400 and possibly lower on the players who use rollers. I took the chance to use the roller myself and discovered it to be incredibly useful when covering unattended ground and spawn zones during team fights. This of course is a simple "belly of the beast" flanking maneuver but opens up a lot of questions in terms of weapons and how viable they can be in specific situations.

What situations have you found each item to have an upper-hand in?
Do you know any cool secrets regarding weapons?
Discuss that here.

Roksys

Senior Squid
NNID
Skolroksys
This happened to me a few times as well, but I also got surprise rolled a few times by people coming from behind me because I just couldn't see them. A bit of an assassination situation it seems.

D

Deleted Member

Rollers are great for unattended ground like OP mentioned, along with ambushing the other team. A good roller player will usually lose to a good splattergun player in a 1v1 though.

KurashiDragon

Full Squid
NNID
KurashiDragon
I find the Splattershot JR to be the best weapon in general. It doesn't have as much range as the splattershot/Charger or cover as much ground as quickly as the roller but it's an excellent weapon for general usage. I always like the Jack of all trades classes which I feel the Splattershot JR is. It still covers ground more quickly than the splattershot/charger I feel and it's a better combat weapon than the roller is.

The roller is more a support class meant for painting and flanking. You cant use it straight up because more often than not, you'll lose if your not close enough. Hell, you tie most of the time with an opponents roller. It's not really meant for straight up combat so much as just painting the field and assassinations.

Charger is the worst weapon I feel. It's a good sniper weapon but it's also bad for straight up combat and it doesn't paint nearly well enough to use given the time it takes. Maybe if the charge were slightly faster, IDK

Splattershot is just a longer range Splattershot JR. Make of that what you will but I prefer the burst fire of the JR.

That's my thoughts on the weapons just based on what I played.

Faty

Inkling
Found myself using the roller often. It covers so much area real quick but Nico is right, it is difficult to catch someone with a splattergun who is backing away as you run towards them at the same speed. lol

I think for this early meta the roller will be used overwhelmingly until the splattergun becomes the most used weapon.
I keep seeing teams with 3 rollers and depending on how well the players were they either did amazing or just got completely obliterated.
It's sort of like rock-paper-scissors, but with many variables and not as consistent lol

I can't wait to see teams with one of each class and actually working together, formulating plans to win! :D

ProjectQ

Inkling
NNID
ianwit8
Rollers are great for unattended ground like OP mentioned, along with ambushing the other team. A good roller player will usually lose to a good splattergun player in a 1v1 though.
This is not always the case because if the roller has a pathway back to escape, they can retreat and reappraoch. In addition, you can splatdash > mine > Squid to add pressure, ink, and possibly pick up the kill.

However, splatter gun will usually win ;p

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
The charger, I find is quite useful on a high ledge. It's not wise to be on ground level with it.

KunehoKun★

Inkling
NNID
KunehoKun
I feel like the charger class is more of a support class--it's meant to create teleport opportunities and pick off priority targets. It also really only covers a lot of ground with the super.

If you're fighting at close range though, it can still defend itself as it's a semi-automatic. More for kills.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I think the Splat Charger is pretty useful for creating paths to go into Squid form in, and getting enemies away from the area you're trying to cover from afar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom