The Real Life Equivalent of the Weapons in Splatoon

Smoothshake317

Pro Squid
Hello Everyone, I have some interesting thoughts to say about rollers. One day I was messing around with the Splat and Dynamo rollers in the testing area, and found out something interesting. When a roller sloshes paint into the air, blobs of the ink come out of it and land on the ground. These blobs can be related to the many steel balls that are shot out of a Shotgun with a Buckshot round. During some testing of this, I found that very little damage happened to the targets when very few of the blobs hit them from far away, just as how Buckshot ammo in a Shotgun has a smaller hit rate and does less damage to targets farther away.

This ultimately leads me to think that Rollers are in fact the developers' way of having unique Shotgun-esque weapons in the game.

Carbon Roller
Roller Slosh Carbon.jpg
Roller Slosh Default.jpg
Dynamo Roller
Roller Slosh Dynamo.jpg

NamelessCrow

Inkster Jr.
NNID
TylerBlind
Huh, who knew? I always figured it was the blasters that were the "shotguns" of the game, but I suppose this would make sense too! Good find, dude!

Smoothshake317

Pro Squid
Huh, who knew? I always figured it was the blasters that were the "shotguns" of the game, but I suppose this would make sense too! Good find, dude!
Yeah, all of the weapons in the game have some real life counterpart to them.
Shooters: SMGs, Assault Rifles, and Battle Rifles
Aerospray: Flamethrower :D
Blasters: Grenade (Pipe Bomb) Launchers
Chargers: Sniper Rifles
And Now Rollers: Shotguns

NamelessCrow

Inkster Jr.
NNID
TylerBlind
Yeah, all of the weapons in the game have some real life counterpart to them.
Shooters: SMGs, Assault Rifles, and Battle Rifles
Aerospray: Flamethrower :D
Blasters: Grenade (Pipe Bomb) Launchers
Chargers: Sniper Rifles
And Now Rollers: Shotguns
Oh wow you definitely went more in depth than I did hahaa. And it all makes sense too! The aerospray being a flame thrower is soo accurate and I never even thought of it! Quite clever with your way of thinking if I do say so myself haha

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
Equipment:
Splat Bombs = Frag Grenades
Suction Bombs = Semtex
Splash Wall = Assault Shield
Disruptor = Concussion/Stun Grenade
Point Sensor = Radar Grenade

Smoothshake317

Pro Squid
The Aerospay is not based on a flamethrower, but rather an airbrush gun.

https://www.google.com/search?q=air...v7gwTg7YPwCg&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAg&biw=1680&bih=865
https://www.google.com/search?q=air...oAg&biw=1680&bih=865#tbm=isch&q=air+spray+gun

That is Air Spray Gun to you, but that is not the point of this thread. We all know that the Aerospray design wise is based off of an Air spray gun, but not functionally based off of it. It is rather based functionally off of Flamethrowers. It reflects the flame aspect through its low raw damage but its continuous stream of fire through its God Tier fire rate. If that is not enough evidence for you go read its file name in the leaks for each weapon in the game.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/doaufjg7ulr1pop/AADAPvv7bDEZIR7DOoB6xmNJa?lst=

The file name is wst_shot_blaze00.png , Where "wst_shot" stands for "weapon standard shotter type." The word "blaze" however should stand out to you.

Xeiros

Senior Squid
What a joke.

That is nothing like the Aerospray. It is based aesthetically on an airbrush and again behaves nothing like an actual flamethrower.

Smoothshake317

Pro Squid
There is no joke. If you want to understand the similarities between the Aerospray and Flamethrowers, you need to think more critically
  • Both share the same weakness of having highly limited ranges compared to other weapons. (Range)
  • Both do low amounts of damage in short bursts of fire. (Power)
  • They make up for these weaknesses by being able to do devastating amounts of damage through sustained fire. (Fire Rate)
  • Both weapons are big targets on the battlefield and can be readily out gunned by other longer ranged weapons.
  • Finally, Both weapons have a "cone" of fire that allows them to spread damage easily while not being completely accurate (this can be seen as the bullet deviation in the Aerospray).
Plus haven't you seen what homemade flamethrowers usually are? They are usually Spray cans that have their contents lit on fire and the Aerospray is in fact the same thing in a gun form (that is what an air spray gun is after all). Combine all of this with the file name for the weapon itself, and it seriously starts to not look like a stretch to call the Aerospray the game's version of a flamethrower.

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
While we're on the subject of real-life counterparts to Splatoon's weapons, what about specials?
Inkzooka = Bazooka (obviously)
Bubbler = Tactical Shield
Bomb Rush = Bombing Raid
Inkstrike = Ballistic Missile (though not a nuke; an ink nuke would completely flood the stage and ruin the opponent's day)
Echolocator = Radar
Killer Wail = (Ultra)Sonic Attack

About the only thing I can't find a good IRL counterpart to is the Kraken. It might be an RC missile, but I'm not sure the connection is strong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom