• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 The Support Role

RoronoaTREY15

Full Squid
NNID
RoronoaTREY15
I won't agree with this. Ink Mines on your side in Rainmaker can be incredibly helpful. They help actually killing opponents at chokepoints (especially with "partial damage" weapons like blasters and most specials) and they let you know when that one guy has snuck behind you and is trying to ink a path when the Rainmaker isn't there yet.

Tower Control and Splat Zones, agreed. If mines on your side go off in those modes, it's usually old news and doesn't help.
Yeah but I'm talking about during a push. I see what you are saying, but I'm talkin go more about people that play overly passive. Like rm is deep in their base and they place ink mine deep in your own base.
Same goes for if rm is deep in your own base. Those inkmines in their base are probably not doing you too much good right now.

RoronoaTREY15

Full Squid
NNID
RoronoaTREY15
@roronoatrey15 That’s a really great way of looking at weapons and trying to figure out what their purpose is. For example, purpose of the heavy splatling vs it’s deco counter part is defined by their subs. A sprinkler indicates that you should be focusing on turf covering, while the deco’s splash wall tells you that you should focus on controlling choke points and making space for your team.
Yeah it's also why some people struggle I never the game I believe. You kind are hsve to have the honest reflection with yourself of "what kind of player am I?" Like if you play a Jr and you aren't inking turf, flanking, all over the map, and getting special, you probably aren't built for that.
For example, When I play Luna i die a ton. I constantly push objective, cause my opponents to use special at bad times, andforce my opponents into bad spots, and I get a ton of splats. My teammates are not going to complain because they are constantly be in 3 on2 or 2 on 1 situations.
If I described this same playstyle to you as a squelcher, splatling, or charger.... I would have some serious problems lol.

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
@RoronoaTREY15 Precisely. Being able to identify what type of player you are and adjusting your choices accordingly is something we should all be doing instead of defaulting to the Sploosh or the Splattershot. I know myself. I play defense. I play support. Longer range weapons with a good supportive sub are my jam. I love the Heavy Splatling for that very reason! But I also like using the Rapid Blaster Pro and the Jet Squelchers. I tend to perform well with the Dualie Squelchers. I also do well with the Krak-On Splat Roller.

One of these things is not like the others!

Very astute, hypothetical straw man. I don't know why I like the Krak-On. It flies in the face of my other usual weapon choices. Just the same, it has Beacons, a sub that I absolutely adore from a tactical perspective. So it only makes sense to learn how to use this weapon reasonably well. Same is true of the Dapple Dualies. If you're more aggressive in your means, you probably prefer the Splat Roller or the Splat Dualies. Splat weapons. Making all your problems go SPLAT! since right now. More defensive or support minded players probably prefer Beacons, Sprinklers, and Splash Walls. My favorites. That's one of the things I love about Splatoon. There are choices to suit all kinds of players!

RealEpic21

Inkling
NNID
RealEpic21
Switch Friend Code
SW-0225-8332-0439
Support is a weird case in splatoon.
I mean, there's no buffing or healing to speak off and you still (or better said schould) get in lots of combat situations.

To my, its a mix between defensive and offensive.
You won't be pushing nor standing in vantage spots to make the most out of your main weapon 24/7.
More like both pushing or seizing vantage spots.
A support weapon doesn't have both the pros and cons as much as defensive/offensive weapons.
Keeping this in mind, support weapons stand in the middle of things and you can take this quite literary on the battlefield.
You make sure everything that needs to be is under ink.
You make sure to ambush oppenents that sneak beyond the front line's (or ATLEAST warn your team)
You make your teammates job easier by picking enemy's from afar, use subs, ambush them while they are busy with a teammate, bring cover fire for added pressure, create weak points in an enemy team, soften them up beforehand etc.
Hel, going against an enemy team that defeated the rest of your team but is considerable weakened as a result, is a valid strategy if you now what your doing.

So although you schouldn't effectively seek combat, you schouldn't shy away from any combat also and take your chance and play 'aggresively' once the need arrives.
Like when your team pushes, bring back-up fire, pressure, seek openings to sieze major results (like sneak to a vantage point in the enemy base during a push)...
Supports schould still have a considerable kill count at the end of day too.

I play mostly support and thats how i would describe it.
A mix between defensive and offensive that sees and seizes oppertunity's by quikly switching to a defensive or offensive role.
Its a complicated manner at first but its pretty natural once you have expierence with it.
Some good support weapons are imo:
Carbon roller, bamboozler, (duallie) sqeulchers, Long barrel nozzlenose, vanila rapid blaster, both heavy splatlings.
Pushing or seizing advantageous spots sounds like flanking to me. Which is why I think short range flankers with high mobility are supportive. They map control so much by flanking too.

RealEpic21

Inkling
NNID
RealEpic21
Switch Friend Code
SW-0225-8332-0439
Pushing or seizing advantageous spots sounds like flanking to me. Which is why I think short range flankers with high mobility are supportive. They map control so much by flanking too.

RealEpic21

Inkling
NNID
RealEpic21
Switch Friend Code
SW-0225-8332-0439
@RoronoaTREY15 Precisely. Being able to identify what type of player you are and adjusting your choices accordingly is something we should all be doing instead of defaulting to the Sploosh or the Splattershot. I know myself. I play defense. I play support. Longer range weapons with a good supportive sub are my jam. I love the Heavy Splatling for that very reason! But I also like using the Rapid Blaster Pro and the Jet Squelchers. I tend to perform well with the Dualie Squelchers. I also do well with the Krak-On Splat Roller.

One of these things is not like the others!

Very astute, hypothetical straw man. I don't know why I like the Krak-On. It flies in the face of my other usual weapon choices. Just the same, it has Beacons, a sub that I absolutely adore from a tactical perspective. So it only makes sense to learn how to use this weapon reasonably well. Same is true of the Dapple Dualies. If you're more aggressive in your means, you probably prefer the Splat Roller or the Splat Dualies. Splat weapons. Making all your problems go SPLAT! since right now. More defensive or support minded players probably prefer Beacons, Sprinklers, and Splash Walls. My favorites. That's one of the things I love about Splatoon. There are choices to suit all kinds of players!
Yea, I mean if you think about it, you’ll be sort of flanking with the longer range weapons in a way, so it makes sense why you like short range flanks. I’m like that too

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom