• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Translation differences and preferences.

What translation do you like most?

• JP (directly translated to english with no alterations)

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • EU / UK

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • NA

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • Spanish

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
Do you mean the "Holy carp" pun? They probably wanted the chance to put the pun, but I understand how weird it may be to some.

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
Yep, that's what I'm referring to. It does seem like there's some dissonance between the strength of that word in the USA and in the UK; I recall being very surprised at its usage in the wonderful children's cartoon Dan Vs., for example. So perhaps it's not as severe as it feels to me.

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
I didn't think Dan Vs. was a kids cartoon, but I haven't watched much of it.

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
It's definitely aimed at a younger audience than, say, The Simpsons. It's got some instances of adult humour but is all presented in a fashion suitable for younger viewers, I found (I binged the entire series once).

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
Yep, that's what I'm referring to. It does seem like there's some dissonance between the strength of that word in the USA and in the UK; I recall being very surprised at its usage in the wonderful children's cartoon Dan Vs., for example. So perhaps it's not as severe as it feels to me.
Treehouse thrives on puns...it seems to be their culture. I'm fairly sure they tried to use every last fish pun they could find everywhere in the game and someone pointed out the obvious one that hadn't been used yet. I'm guessing since the original flavor text half of the staff was going "Bill, Bill, we HAVE to put this one in" ("NO!") "Bill, how about for splatfests, it'll only be seen once?" "(NO!") "C'mon Bill we can't let it go to waste" ("NO!") "It's the last Splatfest, Bill, nobody even plays anymore, can't we put it in now" ("Oh, we're still doing Splatoon text? Fine, whatever. I have to catch a Charizard in that trail near my house I wouldn't stop going on about at E3.")

And we all know Marie finds puns punbearable....

But we already have Callie with "Holy Mackerel!' for Port Mackerel, so that adds some grounded context to have another...err...holy fish... :p

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I kinda just roll with whatever I'm given, so I'm naturally inclined to prefer the NA translation. That said, having looked at pieces of the EU/OC translation... I don't know if "boring" is the right word, but it does seem to lack the charm of our translation somewhat.

But it does have Cap'n Cuttlefish urging agent 3 to actually "give 'em hell," so that's something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom