• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Splatoon 2 Weapon Skill Floors & Ceilings

Starry Day

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-4634-9117-7313
This forum is designed specifically to avoid discussion about the "best" or "worst" weapon; besides a few most of the Splatoon 2 community can agree have some major flaws, recent patches have done their best to buff weapons in need of it and nerf weapons that were previously deemed "broken." Indeed, most weapons are now considered viable in many game modes, even throughout competitive tournaments.

However, in view of this, it's still fun to think about how much skill is needed regarding certain weapons. That is what skill floors and skill ceilings are for. For players in need of a quick recap:
  • Skill floors represent the minimum amount of skill needed to utilize a weapon well, or at least to a capacity that isn't terrible. Weapons with a high skill floor have a lot of attributes that make it difficult to play, whether in terms of role or even tactics.
  • Skill ceilings represent the maximum amount of skill that can be used in terms of a specific weapon. This is usually more subjective, but reasonable points can still be made. Weapons with a very high skill ceiling have practically unlimited potential.
When posting your thoughts about skill floors and ceilings regarding weapons, try to give some objective features to your own opinions in order to help other players understand why you believe what you said. For example, if I was to discuss the potential skill floor and ceiling of the H-3 Nozzlenose D, I might say:

"The H-3 Nozzlenose D has a high skill floor because it is difficult to master its unique firing style, and even more difficult to begin predicting opponents' movements with it. It has a relatively high skill ceiling because it boasts a large amount of range and power, as well as its pure supportive set."

With all this said, enjoy the forum!

Last edited:

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
The Bamboo probably has both the highest skill floor and ceiling in the game. You have to have good movement, and exceptional aim, something few weapons require.

As for the lowest skill floor and ceiling, I'd have to say the Sploosh. Easy to use, but still bad when compared to other weapons.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
The Bamboo probably has both the highest skill floor and ceiling in the game. You have to have good movement, and exceptional aim, something few weapons require.
I probably wouldn't say it has the highest skill floor, especially with MPU being a thing making it a pseudo 1HKO weapon. Which by extent makes its skill floor somewhat lower than its other charger brethren.

vanille987

Inkling Cadet
NNID
777SAS777
I would say gootuber has a noticeable high skill floor as you need to make every shot count and make good use of it's store gimmick while staying mobile.

I'm curious what weapon would have the largest gap between skill floor and ceiling. Probably a shooter or maaaybe a blaster. Squeezer and squelchers come to mind.

Starry Day

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-4634-9117-7313
I would say gootuber has a noticeable high skill floor as you need to make every shot count and make good use of it's store gimmick while staying mobile.

I'm curious what weapon would have the largest gap between skill floor and ceiling. Probably a shooter or maaaybe a blaster. Squeezer and squelchers come to mind.
Yeah, I was thinking about that too - probably one of the basic weapons like the Splattershot that is easy to pick up, but still has really good potential. Idk about the Squeezers, though; it's pretty difficult to use those, and I'd say they have a fairly high skill floor. I agree, they do have a really high skill ceiling, however.

vanille987

Inkling Cadet
NNID
777SAS777
Yeah, I was thinking about that too - probably one of the basic weapons like the Splattershot that is easy to pick up, but still has really good potential. Idk about the Squeezers, though; it's pretty difficult to use those, and I'd say they have a fairly high skill floor. I agree, they do have a really high skill ceiling, however.
true, I was mostly thinking about their skill ceiling.
Splattershots are definitely a good candidate, especially the 'normal' kind.
Rapid blaster may be a good pick too, its easy enough to pressure with and keep enemies at bay, but using it more offensively and getting splats requires some skill.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
So in my opinion the explosher has the one of the highest skill requirements between the floor and ceiling

It is relatively easy to pickup, since it is a long range aoe backlining weapon with good coverage but a slow sloshing speed and a slower ttk is it moderately hard to use over other slosher but a cool fusion between charger and slosher

However it has what I feel is the highest skill celing due to the pierce bursting which allows you to land both the direct and aoe at the same time.
This tech is super hard to put into practice requiring you to aim accurately and at times predict the enemies speed and movement due to the travel time of the slosh

I made a thread about this awhile back here is the link
https://squidboards.com/threads/new-tech-pierce-bursting.34291/

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom