What could be done to fix Eggstra Work?

mossyquartz

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-6391-8464-6805
While Eggstra Work has never been very popular with the wider playerbase, salmon runners would still grind it

However, I've noticed that the amount of players has only gone down since the first one. This time around, even salmon runners are sitting this one out

It being Marooner's Bay this time is definitely a factor lol, but the event has never been well-liked by the community. So, what could be done to fix it?

blu_aaa

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-2473-2014-2344
I could say better rewards for a start because once you get the badges and the stickers, you really have nothing to look forward aside from potentially being on the leaderboards on splatoons official twitter.

mossyquartz

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-6391-8464-6805
I could say better rewards for a start because once you get the badges and the stickers, you really have nothing to look forward aside from potentially being on the leaderboards on splatoons official twitter.
Wdym you don't like the tiny sticker...

Fr tho, I agree. Also for 99.999% of people the Twitter post is literally impossible so it's not very motivating

ikebro

Senior Squid
Pronouns
any/pronouns
honestly, i'm not sure how much could be done w the mode. i was always under the impression that eggstra was genuinely made for a niche audience like overfishers. i think it might be the concept in general that's not that appealing to non-salmon runners, like if you're already not that fond of salmon, why would you want 5 waves of salmon? especially since the first couple of waves feel so slow. (the first wave is a drag for a lot of ppl and i do have to wonder if that's at least partially responsible for dwindling playerbase?)
i also agree w blu on the prizes thing, i think most people are aware that they're never gonna make the leaderboards and a tiny lil gold square for ur locker isn't gonna be worth it to them (the participation stickers look cooler imo)

mossyquartz

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-6391-8464-6805
honestly, i'm not sure how much could be done w the mode. i was always under the impression that eggstra was genuinely made for a niche audience like overfishers. i think it might be the concept in general that's not that appealing to non-salmon runners, like if you're already not that fond of salmon, why would you want 5 waves of salmon? especially since the first couple of waves feel so slow. (the first wave is a drag for a lot of ppl and i do have to wonder if that's at least partially responsible for dwindling playerbase?)
i also agree w blu on the prizes thing, i think most people are aware that they're never gonna make the leaderboards and a tiny lil gold square for ur locker isn't gonna be worth it to them (the participation stickers look cooler imo)
That first wave definitely needs to change. It's just so painful to go through every time :')

vitellary

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
they/them
i think it's a mode that's destined to not be played by many people, and i don't really think they need to change it to have a "wider appeal" or whatever. it's fine to have an event that doesn't get many people scrambling to try it, that's what big run is for. i do think eggstra work should probably happen more often than like, once a season, though. it would mean even less competition on an individual event scale, but i think it would increase overall activity if players got more choices about when they can participate rather than "if you don't like this one you won't get to do another for the next 3 months"

Aiko.Octo

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
she/her
I feel like it it's fine as it is; it should just happen more often. It happens about as often as a big run, but it's nowhere near that level of engagement or excitement. Personally I really enjoy it as a casual salmon runner. It's a bonus set of capsules and a refreshing deviation from the usual shift mechanics. But it just doesn't feel like a huge event worthy of such rarity; it feels like something that should happen once a month or maybe even more often.

Agree that wave 1 is a slog though. It would be such a QOL improvement if there was a system in place that, if everyone in your team had previously achieved max eggs from a particular wave 2-3 times or something, you would skip that wave and they would be counted as if you had collected them.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
My thought about the issue is that eggstra work is competitive. It's a competitive mode that demands precision and pattern memorization, attached to a mode that's co-op and player vs environment. I feel like this doesn't really work when a large number of players are going to be tackling this with randos and people they don't know from servers. You can do your absolute best and get the eggxtra work down to a science, but you can't guarantee the same for your team unless you've got a dedicated fishing group like some do.

A change to the new big run system where it's more about chasing high scores rather being in the top percentile would work out better. Maybe. We all saw how that was implemented. I also echo the comments about making it more frequent - it's practically set up to be a regular mode from how it's implemented in menus, why not do that? Just add a leaderboard and plenty of people will enjoy sweating it out trying to get a better number in the mode even if it isn't a *special event*.

Egomouse

Full Squid
NNID
Egomouse
Switch Friend Code
SW-1058-0470-2243
Let you pick your weapon in freelance. Otherwise idk. I think its better than Big Run but only if you have friends because the whole point is strategizing with your friends and being more efficient. Its hard to strategize with freelancers, you're just winging it/adapting to whatever they seem to like. I got 212 with freelancers for this Eggstra Work which is okay. I don't think it needs to be more frequent.

Norilla

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-1594-5651-4610
At the very least try to push it a little more. All we got (at least on NA side) was a single tweet a week before saying that it's next week. A lot of friends I have that play the game causally didn't even know there was an Eggstra Work going on until either the second half of it or after it ended.

DualMarmalade

Inkling
I don't play a lot of salmon run but I actually really like eggstra work as it is right now. I think it's really fun to totally min max one specific scenario, which fixes my problem with the randomness of salmon run just being totally unfair sometimes.. I just never know when it's happening lol!! If it was easier to keep track of when it was happening then I would play it every time, at least until I got all the bonus rewards

Jed2406

Inkling
I think the one of the main reasons fewer people play it is that you need to be able to coordinate with three other people to do well, unlike big run where you can still do fine with soloq

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom