• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

What do you think about the implementation of the GamePad?

rokami

Inkling
NNID
83byte
One of the most common arguments against the Wii U is that there has yet to be a game that uses the GamePad in an innovative or unique way. What do you think about Splatoon in relation to this statement? Do you think that it uses the GamePad well, or is it just something that could be foregone in exchange for another controller?

As for my self, I really enjoy how the GamePad is being used, especially out of battle in Booyah Base. Having easy to access shortcuts right on the GamePad is very convenient, and so is being able to access your load out and the Ability Guide from anywhere in the plaza.

But what do you think? I'm curious.

Howl

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
SilverHowl
To be fair it's literally a touch screen so there's nothing really new.

iTwAsLucK

Semi-Pro Squid
I think it's an alright concept, but it isn't pulled off as satisfactorily as I would have liked. And forcing it to be the only control method is also a little silly in my opinion.

Howl

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
SilverHowl
It's more like... what can be done with it. What makes the touchscreen even worth the effort of putting it on there.
Grants you a nice map the game wouldn't be able to hold in a screen so that's good. The rest of stuff could have been put in the inputs already (maybe killer wail/inkstrike would be harder to set up though)

Nico Nico Sleep

Pro Squid
The issue is that the gamepad isn't anything that's revolutionary or radically different from other video game peripherals. It's a touchscreen with some buttons and control stick. Integration to a user interface that isn't incredibly interesting won't change anything. They made ink-strikes possible from across the map, but it could've been done with the controller perhaps with limited range or something. This game doesn't do anything special or incredible to shoe horn the gamepad in. Slight conveniences do absolutely nothing to add to the experience of the game.

Last edited:

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Well, the game pad is good. Not amazing, but all in all the gamepad makes everything 10x more convenient and easy.

The motion controls make aiming better, the touchscreen allows for quick super jumps as well as quick glances of the map and ink strikes. You can also see foes depending on if they have your ink on them or not.

Overall, I like it. If I had the option between this and a pro controller, I would still use the gamepad.

suavevillain

Inkling Cadet
I'm not a fan of how it is used in this game it is so far forced when there should be other control options present.

Inyo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SurfGreenGibby
I love it. This game was obviously designed with the GamePad in mind, and it really works. Gyro is great, live map is great (I don't look at it enough and I already look at it a lot), yadda yadda. It's probably the best use of the GamePad along with Pikmin 3, Game & Wario, and Nintendo Land (though those last two are minigame games so maybe they don't count).

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I'd prefer to use the pro controller, honestly.

Threevenge

Inkling
NNID
threevenge
Other control options might be nice but I grasped using the gamepad quickly and aiming better and better as I continue to put my time in. My biggest issue is finding time to look down at the map to see what progress is being made, what paths enemies are pushing from, etc., when I could be splatted within a second. That's more of an issue of developing that skill though.

Phobos

Inkling Commander
I like it - the gamepad display complements what's happening on the TV quite nicely - I really like the way that the hub functions as a main menu, but it's also nice to have the shortcuts. I frequently use the screen in-game to monitor the situation, and the touchscreen is very convenient for super jumps etc. Of course, none of this very revolutionary, but I'm pleased it's there all the same.

Coming from a PC FPS background, I much prefer the motion controls over the standard twin-stick, though I'm still a bit clumsy with it.

LancerStaff

Inkling Cadet

Sycho

Lurking in the Ink.
NNID
Sychotix23
Switch Friend Code
SW-5767-2138-7496
It's nothing in comparison to what games like ZombiU did with it. It's really just a map you that lets you jump around and that's not enough to make it the only controller option imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom