• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

What exactly causes an overtime to occur?

cool6012

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Cool6012
I know it will occur if the losing team has control of the zone(s) by the time the clock runs out, but sometimes I it happen for a split second even though the losing team isn't controlling the zone(s) or sometimes it happens for more than 10. I'm guessing it may be because of lag but i'm not too sure, has this happened to any of you before and if so what do you think?

flc

Inkling Commander
NNID
fiveleafclover
hard to say for sure, but the general wisdom seems to be that:
- the losing team has to be the team that controlled the zone(s) last
- the winning team does not have a majority of ink coverage on two-zone maps (very unsure of this, but it might be the reason why sometimes taking one point is enough to win and other times it isn't; either that or I'm misreading the situation)
- the losing team has been in control of the point in the last ~10 seconds (might be more or operate on some sort of permanent timer i.e. 10 seconds of no point = no overtime and the timer does not reset at any point, so if you gain control after 9 seconds of overtime and lose it for a second later on, the game ends)
- the winning team does not have control of the point

lag may play a factor in some cases.

I'm still not completely sure how it works myself, but the above is the best I've been able to piece together

cool6012

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Cool6012
That makes sense. It's just kinda weird that the game never explains or even metions overtime. ( Unless its a Judd hint b/c I only talk to him when my heat ranking is "SO HAWT!!")

yaminokaabii

Inkling
NNID
YamiNoKaabii
I'm pretty sure it's only if the losing team has control of the zone.
I believe the same, since if the game ends while the zone is still contested, then the winning team immediately wins. But if the losing team has the zone and holds it for long enough to get the lead, they'll win.

Zero Revolution

Pro Squid
NNID
Zeedief123
Switch Friend Code
SW-8519-0178-2889
I've never had a game go into overtime unless the losing team was in control at the end, so I'm pretty sure that's the only way for it to happen. I don't think it has anything to do with who's in the lead based on my experience.

yaminokaabii

Inkling
NNID
YamiNoKaabii
I've never had a game go into overtime unless the losing team was in control at the end, so I'm pretty sure that's the only way for it to happen. I don't think it has anything to do with who's in the lead based on my experience.
Well, pretty much by definition, the losing team is losing because they're not in the lead :3

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom