• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

What is a fighting pair? what they do?

Octo-crisp

Inkster Jr.
Recently, I read about FLC Fluid priority and Roles, and there's the concept of a fighting pair, which consists of a skirmisher/slayer pair that constantly shifts. However, as a new player, I don't get it, and I'm keeping my question vague to keep it accessible for other new players who may also be learning about it.

Edit: Explanation -> question
== I guess, I'm didn't take enough caffeine ==

Last edited:

Vin_MD

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-4709-4096-5597
I'm reiterating what FLC said, but

Skirmisher: Pokes at the enemy team and draws them out, so that the
Slayer: Comes in and splats the distracted/weakened opponents.

A good skirmisher feels like a constant thorn in the enemies side, not letting them focus on the objective for too long and constantly taking some of their attention and resources.

A good slayer feels like they came out of nowhere, getting multiple splats and map control before disappearing again.

The slayer can't do their job until the skirmisher draws the enemy out, and there's no point to the skirmisher if the slayer isn't there to finish off the opponents. The skirmisher and slayer will be switching roles, as you said, but one weapon in the pair will clearly be better at one job than the other. I don't know what weapon(s) you play, but some weapons are commonly accepted to be firmly in one role or another, while others are a bit more ambiguous.

DISCLAIMER: This response and flc's essay really only apply to comp teams and not solo queue, as you can't pick your teams comp there. Take all this with a grain of salt, as I have only read essays and analyses, and studied comp matches. I haven't played a whole lot of comp myself, but I understand this concept enough to explain it. Don't take this as gospel, just as guidelines for teams to make comps.

Octo-crisp

Inkster Jr.
I'm reiterating what FLC said, but

Skirmisher: Pokes at the enemy team and draws them out, so that the
Slayer: Comes in and splats the distracted/weakened opponents.

A good skirmisher feels like a constant thorn in the enemies side, not letting them focus on the objective for too long and constantly taking some of their attention and resources.

A good slayer feels like they came out of nowhere, getting multiple splats and map control before disappearing again.

The slayer can't do their job until the skirmisher draws the enemy out, and there's no point to the skirmisher if the slayer isn't there to finish off the opponents. The skirmisher and slayer will be switching roles, as you said, but one weapon in the pair will clearly be better at one job than the other. I don't know what weapon(s) you play, but some weapons are commonly accepted to be firmly in one role or another, while others are a bit more ambiguous.

DISCLAIMER: This response and flc's essay really only apply to comp teams and not solo queue, as you can't pick your teams comp there. Take all this with a grain of salt, as I have only read essays and analyses, and studied comp matches. I haven't played a whole lot of comp myself, but I understand this concept enough to explain it. Don't take this as gospel, just as guidelines for teams to make comps.
Thanks <3 ! I have been searching for days, but I couldn't find anything.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Question, A skirmisher can use paint to deny the enemy from the objective?
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Where I can find FLC analysis?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom