• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

What is the first thing you do in Turf War?

What is the first thing you do in Turf War?

• Ink my own base first.

Votes: 15 51.7%
  • Rush the enemy base

Votes: 14 48.3%

• Total voters

Chaos_Knight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Cha0sKnight
I know every player has their own play styles, but I've been noticing on Splatfest every person seems to play the exact same, rush to the other base, at least to me.

So I'm wondering what do people usually do first in Turf Wars?

Peaches

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
huntingforfrogs
It depends on the weapon that I'm using, but I usually try to get to the middle quickly to establish control before the enemy does. When sniping I pretty much have to since I can't ink anything anyway, but when I'm rolling I stick around our base first. When using shooters I try inking as much as I can before getting to the middle so it takes me a bit longer to reach it.

Rellek

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RellekEarth
Having a good foundation is key. Being able to fall back when things get rough is a huge advantage when coming up against opponents.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Beacon on spawn! Can't be too careful. ;-)

But really, some of my most used weapons have sprinklers so I drop it on base, move forward, then toss it somewhere after a few seconds. Unless my team has rollers or sloshers, then they'll handle it instead.

If there's a charger or splatling, and I'm not playing either, then I attempt to (and hope to get the message as I) ink a path for them and ready their perches. I accept tips for my valet services in the form of timely rescues and getaway ink!

LupusFreak

Inkling Cadet
NNID
LupusFreak
It really depends on the weapon i'm using, the weapons my team has, and the weapons the enemy team has. Triggerfish is always a rush to the middle, no matter what. Normally, I go Splatterscope, and I rush to my perches while inking some on the side. Unless I see an e-liter on the enemy team, then I hang back and ink the base (yes, even with a charger) and wait to see where they set up. Then I try to catch them by surprise. Once we've wiped out or suppressed the enemy team, then I usually go back and quickly cover the rest of the base, unless it looks like my team can't hold their position without me. If that's the case, then I try my best to shuffle back and forth between inking and fighting on the front lines.

Most people think chargers can't ink very well, but it isn't as hard as it might seem, actually. Especially on maps like Port or Pit, where the long ink trails come in handy. Even today, I got over 1000p in TW with a Bamboozler. You just have to be a little more conscious of your inking, rather than doing it passively.

crazyhamlet

Inkling
NNID
crazyhamlet
I main the Aerospray so I always paint the base. I`ve had too many matches come down to a team losing because they had too many holes in their base, and I refuse to have my team lose because of that! I paint as much as I can as quickly as I can so that my teammates who like to rush out don`t have to worry about base paint.

tanDaMan

Inkling
NNID
downeaznboi
I'm somewhere in between rushing and base covering. I basically cover enough ground so that I can safely retreat or maneuver around a head on attack while pushing forward. It also depends on greatly on the map.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I kinda alternate depending on the weapon I'm using. If I'm using something more combat-oriented, like the .52 Gal or the Custom Jet Squelcher, my first order of business is to make a beeline for the middle ground and prevent the enemy team from advancing. It doesn't work when everyone on my team has the exact same idea, though.

If I've got a more defensive/support-oriented, such as the N-ZAP 85 or Heavy Splatling, I tend to make a point of inking as much turf as possible while en route to the middle ground. That way, by the time I get there, I'll have my special near-fully charged, that I might be able to cause a little chaos early on.

In general, though, I've determined that going for the middle ground is integral. You just can't have everybody do it, though; if your initial push fails, you'll be too busy trying to ink your base to deal with the now-more-mobile enemy team, and thus face an uphill battle trying to take back control of the match.

drwatson

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-2514-7147-4516
Usually in turf war I just rush the enemy team since a lot of the time they are unaware, so I can get a few early kills and maintain good control throughout the rest of the game. If my team doesn't ink the base, I end up inking it after getting splatted later on.

db132

Full Squid
Depends on the weapon/special I have and the weapons the other team has though I don't necessarily do either option. I don't rush the base unless theres 2 or more chargers on the other team (or if the other team is mostly weapons that aren't good at covering turf), but I don't paint the base either unless I badly want my special before approaching the mid of the map. The main thing I do is try to set up shop around the middle of the map to try and prevent the other team's advance

SaltyCal

Full Squid
NNID
Jimbo21
Switch Friend Code
SW-2497-8552-1603
I usually ink the area around my own base first. Although, depending on my weapon and teammates, I may try and charge to meet the enemy head-on. I try to make sure I don't get to far ahead of the rest of my team, though.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
I'm going to quote myself from a thread from a long time ago:

Generally speaking there are two schools of thought when it comes to Turf Wars:
1) Ink the base first then head to mid to engage the enemy
2) Charge to mid first and take it. Keep enemies out. Ink the base on respawn.

Personally, I think inking the base is the better strategy for several of reasons:
1) You charge your special quickly, having it ready by the time you get to mid.
2) You have more room to maneuver if you lose the first push to mid. I've had times where I arrived at mid after my team lost the first push and had to retreat, but didn't have options because large parts of the base weren't inked.
3) If you charge to mid by yourself the likelihood of you being in a bad numbers situation is high. I've seen it over and over again on Port Mackerel. The enemy rushes to our base, they leave their teammates behind, and get splatted because there are 3 or more of us still there. Unless you are a ridiculous player, charging in by yourself is a bad idea.
4) Ensuring that you have all your base covered can swing close games in your favor. I've seen it on both sides: one team is slightly better than the other, so they usually win mid but can't push to far in BUT they didn't cover their base. They keep rushing to mid to push in, but end up losing because large chunks of the base are uncovered.
5) Helps with travel routes to get back to mid faster. You should very rarely super jump - you will likely get splatted. So swimming is the preferred mode of transportation. If you have to ink parts of your base after respawn you are wasting precious seconds that your team needs you at mid. Also, if there is a route to mid that was left un-inked then you have to ink that on the way instead of just swimming.
*There are exceptions to this rule, but generally you want to ink the base upfront so you can engage the enemies easier*
Like I said though, there are exceptions. I will always rush to mid on Saltspray because the top area is essential to winning. I will mostly rush to mid on Moray because you can stop their sniper from setting up if you get there quick (this has somewhat been alleviated because of the change to the layout).

Shun_one

Pro Squid
NNID
not_shun_one
Rush to mid and ink as much turf there as I can. I will use whatever path my team doesn't take to get there to ensure maximum turf inked before I die and ink base upon my revival.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
I always rush the center first chance i get, i usually throw sprinklers or other subs to quickly cover turf on my way to the front. In the offchance i have to ink stuff, i usually do it as quickly and slapdash as possible. Firing at enemies is way more fun than shooting ground.

Xehias

Pro Squid
NNID
Xehias
Depends on the weapon. With the Krak-on, I’ll take my time and ink the base, dropping a few Beakons on our side and getting to the front lines once my Kraken is ready. With the vanilla Dynamo, I like to get my Echolocator up as early as possible for those who rush mid. I often assume a defensive position after that. Quite frankly, I’m not that great at surviving the first mid push, so I’d rather stay behind and take my opportunities later.

NovaScienceNever

Senior Squid
I try to predict where my teammates are going once the match starts and try to plan a route that allows me and my to cover more turf from the get-go. Sometimes I take time to ink the base, other times I don't and just wait until I'm splatted to take care of that.

MeTaGross

Inkling Cadet
I usually rush the mid and try to flank the enemy. If I can get one or two splats then I am happy, but I also try to go behind them and take away their escape options, but that is usually more in ranked. I feel that making a successful push at the beginning can be very good, but like it has been said, it is very bad if you lose the beginning.

Pandachan

Inkling
NNID
RELDA790
I usually ink my own base first, then when I get closer to an enemy, I throw a splat bomb to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom