What is your favorite aspect of Splatoon?

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
This question might seem to have an obvious answer, and perhaps it is to many squids out there, but the game has so much depth and so much to explore I was wondering if people had different favorites.

Obviously, I really enjoy the main premise of the game: splatting squids and covering turf (in some form or another). I wouldn't play the game if I didn't. But lately I've really gotten into experimenting with builds and loadouts and since I come from a background in competitive Magic:the Gathering the build construction aspect has definitely become my favorite.

I have more fun experimenting with and implementing builds than simply playing "the best" loadouts and ranking up (although I do enjoy that as well). For instance, yesterday I scraped together a special charge/saver build to use with the Neo-Splash to basically charge inkzooka as quickly as possible. After some testing I looked for people with different gear that would go with my concept and ordered from Spyke. Hunting down the gear is part of the fun.

What is your favorite aspect?

Last edited:

Jrdellx

Full Squid
What I love about the game is that you can swim in ink on the ground or the walls. I read that inking up walls came later in the game development. I'm happy they added that to the game. I could even see myself leaving the game even if Nintendo said "Removing swimming up walls makes the game more balance" Or something crazy like that. o_O

Psycho_Wendigo

Resident World Devourer
NNID
PyschoWendigo
My favorite aspect of it is the gameplay itself. This is the first shooter I've enjoyed playing since CoD 4. (I've dappled in Team Fortress 2 a bit, Splatoon's closest relative, but it's never really stuck)
It's such a breath of fresh air, and of course, leave it to Nintendo to dive into a world they haven't previously been apart of with this much innovation. Admittedly, it came with Nintendo's traditional oversight in some areas, most notability online features at launch, but I can deal with it.

While not directly part of the game itself, the community for the game is also fun to be apart of

Ink Gunner Emily

Full Squid
NNID
Ayerin
Hmmm. Honestly, my fave aspect of the game is the clothes and weapons. They both have fair variety even though it can get a bit cut and paste with some of the effects. I simply love the fact that your clothes can be upgraded through EXP during Turf Wars. Just messing around with combos of effects and clothing make some of the fun, especially when you can destroy opponents with a good effect stacks and weapon skills~

aqua46

Inkling Cadet
I like the overall style they decided to go with. What other company would take a chance on a punk paintball tourney involving squid/kids, anthropomorphized seafood, sea-sieties, and being as fresh as possible? the music, artstyle, and attitude is what really sells this game for me.

oh, and the US translation is so liberated from it's source, it helps a bit too. I don't know what i'd do without ultra sass marie (which i'm kinda sad they're changing some of the original sass a bit), ****ney spyke, or hipster octavio.

Zero Revolution

Pro Squid
NNID
Zeedief123
Switch Friend Code
SW-8519-0178-2889
My favorite is the general gameplay. I find it interesting and really creative to shoot (or in other ways ink) the ground or walls and how you can swim in the ink. It makes it unique from other shooters, most of which just don't try anything new. I honestly do like shooters, but I've chosen to ignore almost every shooter released, at least in more recent years, simply because it's the same thing every shooter has been doing since the genre began. Splatoon is much different and in fact is more than just a shooter.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
I love that it's a post apocalypse third person shooter done in a very unique and engaging way. Instead of resorting to common tropes such as a nuclear fallout or a zombie invasion, the game's premise is based on a "what if" due to an issue that actually pertains in our world. The game's colorful aesthetic is used brilliantly and the idea is very fresh even in the heavily crowded shooter genre, it's typically Nintendo, but at the same time, it really isn't.

It's a online dominant game from a company who's afraid of such a thing and while it's not perfect, it's a big step forward and you'll always find opponents to fight against regardless of what time you play in and the lack of voice chat is actually the main draw for me. I can't stand idiots who trash talk just to show their apparent superiority. This game mercifully doesn't have any form of it which means I can actually play this game online in good faith without hearing idiots run their mouth or children who have no idea on what they're going on about, and folks who blare their music to their headset making the whole room sour.

The use of evolved sea creatures are fascinating to me and gave me a newfound liking to squid and octopi. The characters designs are not typically Nintendo but, they're so appealing to look at. And the character customization at least makes each of our characters a little different from others and show the taste of your opponent. There are people who just use the Jungle Hat for example for stats sake, then there are others who would just wear the whole Squid Girl set because it looks so cute, or those like me who love the whole amiibo School set and will wear the full set regardless of it's stats. And if you're buffed with some big stats you can still get splatted if you don't play correctly and I love that. So you can't be truly invincible and you can wear what you want and you won't be left that far behind.

The one last thing I'll mention is the weapons. I like that there's your traditional gun looking weapons like the gals, and the Heavy Splatling, but then you have weapons that look like Super Soakers, A gardening hose as a gun, a paintbrush, and two classes of weapons can be summed up as, "A Bucket" and "A Paint Roller". That is actually really creative. And while there are weapons that are better than others, you can still splat people with your favorite weapon once you've gotten better with it.

Glass Eater

Pro Squid
-Originality. The theme, music, and overall atmosphere of this game is one of a kind.

-The addictive, fast-pace gameplay.

Nintendo's best "new" game in a very long time. I'm excited for more Splatoon stuff in the future than games like Zelda.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I'd say that the best part is the actual gameplay design. The way they implemented the ink not only allows for some interesting strategies (like stalling a push by shooting ink on their patch constantly, which I call "trading ink"), but also emphatizes the most important part of a shooter: shooting stuff. I honestly can't think of any other shooter where I get to use my primary weapon this much, almost to the point where I constantly forget about my sub weapon. I also like the weapon variety and the little balance decisions around them, where everything has some sort of pro and con, with nothing clearly outshinning something else in every single way (although I still have a personal grudge against the E-Liter 3K and all it's variants). And finally, I get to use a gatling gun :ability_damage:

Helio

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
monkey.esq
Gameplay.
In the past you'd play nintendo games and things were smooth the controls would work perfectly the game would have little surprises that furthered the game, the images and sounds are beautiful. The build to the big boss would be great and you'd be genuinely excite to make it there and you'd be really challenged, but not impossible.

Then you'd play a PS or Xbox game and everything is just a tiny bit 'off'. They just don't have the same playability and replayability.

Splatoon just has that playability, innovativeness, and beauty. So easy to pick up and play three games in a row. No waiting, no hassle. Game balance is great, obviously they worry and tweak it too. It plays so well you don't have to think about the controls, where buttons are which are which, motion control integration is seamless, play is fast and furious instead of a careful slow methodical shooter. It is freaking beautiful, not boring grey abandoned warehouses or drab battlefield. I enjoy the cheesy japanese decour and theme as well.

Nintendo prioritized:
Playability: easy controls, easy pick up games, not too long, you can change your environment by inking.
Beautiful: color everywhere, intricate background drawings to maps, music variety is great. (Almost like the tried to make a shooter that attracts more girls)

It has detractions, none that largely change its positives. Like a lot of nintendo games they just rocked the core gameplay, but some minor things that could be different.

mezzo

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ledyba
i like swimming around in the ink/being a squid, the single-player mode was short but sweet and challenging, but not overly so, and the music and art style are so fun, colorful, and poppy. i also like that splatoon seems to lend itself to all ages and skill levels. to me, that is a sign of a great game, and it's a hard balance to strike.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom