What weapons do you find overcentralizing?

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
On the .96 Gal issue, I'd say it's greatest strength is mostly psychological (I call it the Bully Gun for a reason). Since it pretty much always takes 2 shots to splat an enemy, just scoring one hit will make anyone panic and do whatever they can to dodge that second hit, either forcing them to use desperate measures or retreat and call it a day. However, it's main weakness is ink consumption, so it can't really keep up with a long firefight on paper, but that's only true in the right situations. With the .52 Gal it's not as noticeable since the second shot usually comes in faster than you can panic (and can be mitigated to a degree).

That said, I'm glad that the H-3 Nozzlenose hasn't caught on like the .96 Gal or we would have something to trully fear :confused:

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
That said, I'm glad that the H-3 Nozzlenose hasn't caught on like the .96 Gal or we would have something to trully fear :confused:
It could be because DUDE did a "Tearing It Up" video with the H-3 and basically trashed it. It isn't exactly an intuitive weapon. I feel like it is a long range weapon that works best up close, assassin style (to ensure the whole volley hits). Definitely much harder to play.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
It could be because DUDE did a "Tearing It Up" video with the H-3 and basically trashed it. It isn't exactly an intuitive weapon. I feel like it is a long range weapon that works best up close, assassin style (to ensure the whole volley hits). Definitely much harder to play.
Do not base your thoughts on a weapon based on the opinions and skills of one person, good at the game or not. See for yourself instead.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
A gun that literally disintegrates enemies for a fairly long distance in the best-case scenario can't really be an easy weapon to use, and even if it's hard to use it can still count as "questionable design" (looking at you, E-Liter 3k) since only the one using it is having fun while the rest can't really do much of anything to fight back (like the Inkzooka or the pre-nerfs Kraken). I think someone posted a link to Extra Credit's video on "Counterplay" somewhere in the Forums which better explains it.

In the end, the weapons that are easier to use while keeping a relatively high potential power tend to be the ones most players gravitate to, while the ones with low potential power or steep learning curves (even if some of those weapons have the potential to be insanely powerful) are left to the minority, and Kraken forbid a low potential power weapon with a steep learning curve :confused:

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Do not base your thoughts on a weapon based on the opinions and skills of one person, good at the game or not. See for yourself instead.
I didn't say I was. I was trying to give a plausible explanation to LMG's assertion that the H-3 hasn't caught on like the .96 deco has. Right or not, DUDE is one of the best western players and a lot of people watch his stream and youtube channel. This can, and does affect peoples opinions on weapons.

I have tried the H-3 and I was awful with it. I did not have fun with the weapon and I didn't want to be bothered to try to learn HOW to have fun with the weapon. Maybe later, but I'm working on other things right now.

JFL

Senior Squid
NNID
AldricJFL
l have more than 200000 points of ink covered with the H3, I desperately tried to make it work in ranked but to no avail. l know some people reached S+ with it but to me this is typically the kind of weapon a very skilled player would use as a challenge, basically "l'm so good l can succeed even with this weapon".

It's a weapon whose huge potential is completely destroyed by how unpractical its burst mechanic is in an actual battle. lf you could consistently one shot people with it it'd be a force to be reckoned with, but right now it's just way too awkward to be used over similar shooters like the Splattershot Pro or of course the .96.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
Yea, I honestly have a hard time believing very many, if any, people can be super successful with the H-3. With many weapons, some of which I main, there is a learning curve that needs to be hurdled over. I don't think the H-3 even has that. I honestly can't think of a single time where anyone in their right mind would ever choose the H-3 over anything, even an aerospray.

It's not the opinion of one player, it's just the flat out truth. It has nothing but the capability of splatting in one burst. That's it. It has no subs that compliment its atrocious. . . everything else, it has no specials that do it either. The only redeemable feature is the fact it has Inkzooka, and that's just because it has Inkzooka. It's got an atrocious fire rate, its mobility is right along side it, and its loadouts are in the same boat. It's an all around wreck, we don't need Dude to tell us that lol.

I know your motto is "every weapon is viable", but this is the exception.

NNID
DJXyz640
Wow, this has really taken off. That's good. Weapon meta is sometimes overlooked, especially when there are so many options.
I haven't played in a while, nor have I checked Squidboards recently. It seems people complain the most about the .52 Gal and any weapon with Inkstrike.
Tentatek Splattershot? I don't see too many. But you know what's overcentralizing, yet unnecessarily so?
Krak-On Splat Roller. So many noobs wanting to try out the all-powerful Kraken...

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
The centralizing weapons for the moment in my mind are the dynamo and the octobrush. I swear every single round I get thoroughly destroyed in it's one or both of these that are the culprit! I'm tired of the ninja brushes that seem to be everywhere at once. I know they're just skilled, but once an octobrush gets in close enough (usually through camping) there's simply no retreat or defense. I'm killed far more often than by carbon rollers which people used to complain about for he same reasons, but the pinpoint ohko range of the carbon roller is easier to dodge than the 45 degree arc of button spamming doom from the octobrush!

I couldn't stand the H3, in any way, at all, no matter what until I made that realization about it. Once I understood how it should be used, I learned to like (but not love) it. IMO it's a "better sploosh than sploosh". Though I still love Sploosh. It's misleading. L3 looks short ranged, H3 looks long range. But the slow travel of the widely spaced bullets make it almost useless at long range. You WILL miss bullets. It's best used like Sploosh - get into hugging distance and give them a round. Great assassin tool if you like the ninja-stealth route that provides a ranged option if you need it. Great for camping/defensive play. L3 is the aggro maniac of the bunch though. I'd love that weapon so much if I could tolerate the continuous trigger mashing required. That's the reason I don't play the brushes even though I love them, as well. Carbon's as much a button spammer as I'm willing to deal with.

@Of Moose & Men .96 and .52 I'll give you, but you leave my Luna out of this! :mad:;) I never liked the Gals but I spend some time with them a few weeks ago and learned you can really have some fun with them. The slooow RoF for .96 just drives me insane though (that's coming from someone who's learning to love Range Blaster, so that counts for something!) I most enjoy the difficult to learn weapons: Chargers, blasters, trying to take on Hydra, carbon roller. But there's something about the Luna that I'll never be able to give up on it. You can just pull off a lot of crazy stuff you'd never get away with with other weapons - but it's VERY high risk. You will get splatted often. And, IMO it's harder to use well than some give it credit for. I've seen enough BAD luna players to realize that. No blaster is easy. Luna's easier than most, but you have to be able to maneuver well enough to use it!

JFL

Senior Squid
NNID
AldricJFL
I couldn't stand the H3, in any way, at all, no matter what until I made that realization about it. Once I understood how it should be used, I learned to like (but not love) it. IMO it's a "better sploosh than sploosh". Though I still love Sploosh. It's misleading. L3 looks short ranged, H3 looks long range. But the slow travel of the widely spaced bullets make it almost useless at long range. You WILL miss bullets. It's best used like Sploosh - get into hugging distance and give them a round. Great assassin tool if you like the ninja-stealth route that provides a ranged option if you need it. Great for camping/defensive play.
lt can't be a better Sploosh than the Sploosh because the Sploosh isn't just a super close range killing machine, the Sploosh is also an insanely mobile shooter due to its fire rate and the way it spreads ink. You can literally run circles around people with the Sploosh, go in and get out very easily with some swim speed up and ink resistance. The H3 in comparison is a ridiculously static and "linear" weapon and the mere fact you need to play a shooter with Dual Squelcher range as if it was the shortest ranged shooter in the game is proof that the weapon is fundamentally ill conceived.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
lt can't be a better Sploosh than the Sploosh because the Sploosh isn't just a super close range killing machine, the Sploosh is also an insanely mobile shooter due to its fire rate and the way it spreads ink. You can literally run circles around people with the Sploosh, go in and get out very easily with some swim speed up and ink resistance. The H3 in comparison is a ridiculously static and "linear" weapon and the mere fact you need to play a shooter with Dual Squelcher range as if it was the shortest ranged shooter in the game is proof that the weapon is fundamentally ill conceived.
Yeah, the inking and mobility are very different, but in terms of the actual stealth-close-attack sequence with a faster ttk at the same range makes it a "safer" sploosh if going for stealth. We already have Dual Squelcher to play a shooter with Dual Squelcher range, there's no need for another. The H3 plays uniquely and isn't a bad gun when played uniquely I.E. a faster sploosh up close with disruptors on the D version. (If we're talking vanilla, yeah, that's just plain bad. The disruptors are the selling point) just because it CAN shoot long doesn't mean it's wrong that it works in such a way that it's really a stealth gun. That's something I should have clarified though. I have no problem saying H3 vanilla is just a plain bad gun. The Dolphin though, that's a different story. Not sure why the Dolphin H3 has the vanilla L3's sub, and is not related to the L3 Dolphin.

It's not one of my top favorites, but I don't dislike it. It's fun and very good at what it does, even if what it does is different from what it seems like it should do. Same could be said for hydra though. L3's the leaner, meaner assaulting machine though for sure. I just hate button mashing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom