Where is Splatoon going?

Hinichii.ez.™

Is Splatoon an E-Sport or just a meme?
For those of you who didn't watch this past evo, an intresting commerical was played; several times. It was one for splatoon, that was shown to several hundred of thousands of people. The opening quote, was by the biggest name to date, in the Fighting Game Community, (FGC) Justin Wong. He said, "this game was made for Esports!" Then the rest off the commerical showed of some gameplay and made emphasis on the August patch, which a lot of us have been dying for. What do you think this means for splatoon? Seems like Nintendo, really wants to see this game hit the big stage.

Grafkarpador

Inkling Cadet
NNID
grafkarpador
I think what this means is that Nintendo intends the game to be made for E-sports, but I'm not sure

Hinichii.ez.™

Is Splatoon an E-Sport or just a meme?
I think what this means is that Nintendo intends the game to be made for E-sports, but I'm not sure
It's definitely implied. I'm hoping certain features that seem key, are released in the mean time. LAN, spectator mode, cloud features and a few other things come to mind.

Pivi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
HeroPivi
Well we're already way ahead of Smash in terms of the developers supporting the community in terms of competitive Splatoon, it took Nintendo over 10 years for them to recognize the competitive community was worth supporting, Brawl was more or less a hate letter to those people as well.

Nintendo has already held Splatoon tournaments, and since the game sold a million+ units, we're likely to continue getting updates and balance patches looooonnngg past August. Honestly, it's looking pretty good.

So like.

Spectator mode.

That's it.

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
Yup, I liked how Splatoon got promoted during EVO's finals. It even was played twice during the prestigious Melee finals when 200k people were watching the stream. It's top or flop for Splatoon now. Don't mess this up, Ninty.

Jrdellx

Full Squid
Definitely excited to hear this but voice chat needs to be added I believe to make it competitive. Right now I find myself having to work around other players guessing what they will do. If that person does not do what I thought they may have done in that area I have to go back. It's like you gotta be ready for people mistakes n work around that. Anyone know if there have been any big unofficial tournaments? I feel like Nintendo gotta see it to believe it if they wanna put money into e sports.

Cobbs

Senior Squid
NNID
CCobbs
Well we're already way ahead of Smash in terms of the developers supporting the community in terms of competitive Splatoon, it took Nintendo over 10 years for them to recognize the competitive community was worth supporting, Brawl was more or less a hate letter to those people as well.

Nintendo has already held Splatoon tournaments, and since the game sold a million+ units, we're likely to continue getting updates and balance patches looooonnngg past August. Honestly, it's looking pretty good.

So like.

Spectator mode.

That's it.
I'm a Smash commentator and I'm really excited for this. Splatoon would have a great and vibrant role in the esports scene, especially with the current climate of games in the esports scene.

I'm not all hyper-competitive about it with my own gameplay (nor am I with Smash), but competitive play is where all of the intensity and excitement is. As a commentator, that's the stuff I love watching and commentating for viewers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom