• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Bluefin Depot Analysis and Thoughts

CoconutTank

Senior Squid
The low level center area has a chasm large enough that players can't normally jump inbetween the two halves, but it's still possible to shoot across or toss bombs to either half! I tend to forget about this sometimes, which leads to me getting sniped by a Charger from the other half. But other players tend to forget about this too, which is great because I can often snipe other players from my half with the Jet Squelcher or an Inkzooka. And if I see that wall on the other half is getting breached, I can sometimes throw a Suction Bomb over or shoot in that direction with a Jet Squelcher to harass players that are trying to climb up.

With that said, I think it's really important to think about the center as a whole thing instead of two areas! One should pay attention to what's happening on both halves and remember to give support fire when possible. Choosing which half to go to at the start is also pretty important.

a) If you're going to the right half, you should play more defensively and lock down that area. Definitely don't overextend. The right half has 2 walls which can allow enemies to breach your upper ground and get behind allies on the left half. Please don't let that happen. If your weapon has enough reach, you can also attack to the only wall on the left half that goes to your upper ground. That's 3 routes to your upper ground that you can cover! From the enemy's direction to your right half, there's only 1 wall; their other entrance to your right half is a cliff that can leave them stranded, so take advantage of that! Basically if you're on the right half, you have to cover a majority of the routes into your upper ground, and you also only have 1 way forward so enemies can predict where you're coming from.

b) If you're going to the left half, then you either want to breach asap or at least ink your wall for escaping. Staying in the middle while enemies rain down on you from their upper ground is bad bad bad. And when moving towards the enemy base, you have two walls you can climb which leads to the enemies' upper ground. You can fire to one wall while on your right half that leads to your upper ground, but the other wall is too far for you to reach (the E-Liter 3K might be able to shoot that far, but I wouldn't count on that). Basically if you're on the left half, it's much harder for you to prevent enemies from breaching and you also have fewer escape routes, but you have more options for rushing if the enemy's attention is divided enough.

The walls in the center area are very much the key parts of this map imo. Maintaining control of the walls controls a lot of mobility and can give you ambush options, both by popping up on enemies near the wall and to also get around to the other half and attack the enemy from behind.

Martin Lynch

Inkling
I disagree, this map is an absolute beauty for the squiffer. Had a blast on this map last night :)
I think you need to play with the right weapon to keep enemies from getting through the three choke points. Here is what I prefer to work with:

• Weapon: Aerospray RG
  • Abilities: one Damage Up :ability_damage: and at least two Ink Savers :ability_inksaversub:, and if possible, an Ink Recovery Up :ability_inkrecovery:.
My strategy is to plant an Ink Mine :inkmine: on either of the two center choke points, then alternate between guarding the center choke points and the far-right choke point.

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
From my experience on both sides of the equation it's possible to mount a comeback if you charge the half that an opponent accidentally neglects.

I've taken advantage of defensive play from the high ridge on the homeside by tossing Sprinklers into the half I'm not advancing on, to passively assist in turf coverage. Once you're trying to keep enemies focused on your half it helps to lob Sprinklers up onto their high ground to see if they come after you, easing the pressure on the other half.

Depending on your timing and the aggressiveness of the opponent on this board sometimes you can make a sacrificially aggressive play to either set up an offensive spearhead or as a distraction to keep them from attending to your teammates pushing up the other half. I've lured E-liter 3k snipers after me while my teammates push on the other side before because they got fixated on my tendency to throw sprinklers up on their high ground.

Okajin

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Okajin
I like this map but I have a problem... I'm very bad on it ! I'm so bad that I don't play ranked if the map is in the rotation :(
I have the feel that I'm the burden of my team each time I play this map I'm the worse score of my team. I tried to play my three mains weapons in it : Splattershot jr., N-Zap (both of them) and Aerospray MG. I don't know how to "work" my skill on a map that I don't master.

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I like this map but I have a problem... I'm very bad on it ! I'm so bad that I don't play ranked if the map is in the rotation :(
I have the feel that I'm the burden of my team each time I play this map I'm the worse score of my team. I tried to play my three mains weapons in it : Splattershot jr., N-Zap (both of them) and Aerospray MG. I don't know how to "work" my skill on a map that I don't master.
This map also appears in Single Player as an Octoling duel map, you could practice there.

Okajin

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Okajin
I'm trying, I know how the map is built but I have the feel like I don't know how to manage the two squares in the middle.

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
Honestly, I've had several bad experiences on this map. It seems that no matter what I do, at least one enemy gets into our base and ruins everything, be it just a distraction or a glorified spawn-camp. And I personally hate the long distance necessary to get from one half to the other, but again, that's just me.

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Honestly, I've had several bad experiences on this map. It seems that no matter what I do, at least one enemy gets into our base and ruins everything, be it just a distraction or a glorified spawn-camp. And I personally hate the long distance necessary to get from one half to the other, but again, that's just me.
Someone once mentioned that you could think of the map as being one ripe for flanking possibilities, given the two-front shape and the two sides are close enough for snipers to hit both approaches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom