• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Custom Hydra Splatling: Analysis and Thoughts

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
So I finally tried this last weapon out tonight, and boy is it fun with which to do cheeky tactics. >:D All and all, I still prefer my normal E-Liter 3K (I mean, Burst Bombs are LYFE), but that doesn't take away the amusement I had with this weapon. To start out, I do adore the long range, despite the ornerous charge time, but the charge doesn't even have to be halfway around in order to be able to kill someone (not quite sure how the Defense Up counters play into this-someone please qualify), and I loved having charging battles with snipers this way in which I would partly charge and kill the person before he/she could fully charge and kill me. The Sprinkler is used best for defensive anchoring and distraction here, but is also great for both charging the Bubbler and anchoring certain pathways into the enemy territory (sneaky tactics ;) ). The Bubbler, although I still can personally never use it effectively, is great on such a long ranged weapon with a fairly fast time to kill (although with the Bubbler, I highly recommend to never fully charge the main weapon, since most of the time for the Bubbler will be gone by the time that you're finished unless you stack a lot of Special Duration Up; just partially charge and let that do the killing job). Oh yeah and remember not to let the enemies get close because unlike the normal Hydra Splatling, this weapon has no Splat Bombs on which to fall back. But like I've said, this is one of the passively defensive machines of weapons (again I MUST vie for normal Hydra Splatling as active back, because this is the ultimate definition of a passive back weapon and normal Hydra has Splat Bombs...), and it's fun as heck to play under the right circumstances (this thing is a BEAST on Walleye Warehouse on Tower Control I found). I did play around with some gear and I have my last list of recommended abilities for people picking this weapon up, and this is what I have:

Stackable:

:ability_damage:
:ability_specialduration: (Stack this. Stack lots of it.)
:ability_inkrecovery:
:ability_inksavermain:
:ability_specialcharge:

Main-Exclusive:

:ability_tenacity:
:ability_inkresistance:
:ability_lastditcheffort:
:ability_stealthjump:

Rael

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Rael303
Last ditch effort, really? It's like the worst ability in the game, why would somebody waste a slot for that?

Also stealth jump is better on weapons that can immediately make a threat for a kill, like rollers, Luna, Tentatek maybe and such. The moment you land you still have to charge, giving the time to opponents to react. And superjumping for passing bubble on teammates is an option evey Bubbler weapon has, why making it slower?

Also splatlings are not affected by defence up if I recall correctly, so damage up seems not worthy imo.

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow
Glad to see I'm not alone in not really being crazy about rerolls. The odds are just so low of getting what you want, and I worry that I can spend tons of snails rerolling things and end up with a worse trio that's less flexible than what I originally had. And the odds of wanting 3x swim, 3x str, 3x armor and getting them in that order are a lot lower than getting 1 of each on 3 different gears yielding the same result. Rolling perfects seems to be more for the OCD, the ones that specifically want the aesthetics of a certain kit but want to get the best abilities out of it, or the insane tryhards (and cheaters!!) that sit there with 9x swim speed ups... Because they definitely had the 300 or so snails required for that. :mad:
Hmm I normally just spend my snails on adding slots and I'm trying to hoard up a lot of cash just for the numbers, when I'm close to the maximum then I'll spend them on slots (if there are still any) and maybe some fun rerolls. Some of these people are savescumming but personally I rather spend time just playing the game and working on my skills, strategies and tactics.

The one issue I have with bubbler is the short duration. It's great to get away, but I can't effectively use it for aggro with the slow charge of the hydra. Even a quick burst. For the moment I even have 2x special duration subs on my run speed up parka, it's not much but it should be some kind of help. It's not much of one though. Sharing the bubbler with an aggro shooter seems more practical. haven't made a good ambush out of it yet though.
Depending on where you are at the time, you can also start charging first before activating your Bubbler. Considering that Bubbler can be shared, having it any longer would be disastrous (imagine a team of 4 Bubblers chaining and spreading it -_-)

I still love splat bombs, and the pressuring/close range with the hydra would be great. But I AM liking sprinklers for it. Bombs take up too much ink for too little in return for such a slow weapon. I use splat bombs like mad on splat charger. I think of it as a grenade launcher with a bonus sniper rifle. I use them a lot on luna neo. Hydra...they just don't fit for me. But it's the other way around for sprinklers. With kelp splat charger I feel helpless without my bombs around corners and the sprinklers can't ink as well as my main gun so I drop one, then forget about it and never really do much with it until I remember it. With hydra since it's more a fixed gun, It's great to keep spamming out sprinklers, slowly taking over all the area around you as you move. Fend off a wave and when the enemy comes back, all the terrain is back as it was. And harassing them with reappearing sprinklers is much more fun with this.
The best thing about splat bombs IMO is that you have some control over its detonation time, how you utilize that once again boils down to creativity and the circumstances itself. Haha reading your few posts I feel like you're not one to multitask when it comes to weapons, subs and specials :P It's safe to say that any weapon set requires judicious use of everything to fulfill its full potential.

Well, that's the usual result with ANY weapon I use. Obviously hydras and eliters attract attention and wrath. But even carbon rollers and varieties of other weapons I'll often form a defensive line/area and patrol it. I'll thwart all their attacks for the first part of the round, irritate the heck out of them that they can't get into our base, and THEN the come after me with two wails, an inkstrike and a bubble huddle all at once :45 to the end. :D And once I go down, that's it, game over, they've painted our base and it's impossible to cover it up and retrench in 45 seconds.

that's if it's not a superior team that never lets us out of spawn. They'll come in bubbled up with a strike or two in the first 25 seconds right to the spawn, trap us there, and that's the game right there. (That's what the other tread will be on). I had to take my hydra and venture out by myself, sneaking past spawn, heading deep into the enemy base. Just me, my hydra, and my sprinklers. You can guess how that turned out. And my team of course refused to jump to me, instead fighting at spawn forever...
Ok I realized I should have mentioned something besides 'problem squids'. There are also the people who are focused on weak links on the other team and will hunt them constantly for easier kills. (I get hunted quite a bit when I'm using the H-3).

Oh, my team mates use beacons. They'll use them exclusively when I'm using Custom E-Liter, and placed beacons for my own jump points. Any time I get in a pickle, and go to jump to my alt zones, and of course, my beacons are all gone. Both taken out by enemies, or jumped to by my team. Often enough jumped to by my team while I'm standing right next to it. And of course I get splatted when my escape route is gone. But they'll never take out enemy beacons! Especially not when their inside our hallway on Underpass! I seriously had to go lurching around with CHydra hunting beacons just to secure my spot.
I watched this Custom E-Liter montage from a Japanese player the other day and it made me realize the beakons he set up were more for his own use than for his team mates...so when I see one on my team with beakons in particular spots I don't use them. As a Custom 3K maybe you could plant another one close by as insurance?

Yeah, I learned that with eliter long ago....

Interesting about inking walls for rollers. Typically as a Carbon roller I'm not going up walls unless I'm making escape routes back up in places like the skatepark tower. I try to stay low, and stay moving. Places that would be dangerous for a hydra to go and turn around to ink. I did have one helpful teammate that actually inked walls for my hydra in skatepark to take the right perch. That was a rare experience.
In my experience on TW, unless the enemy has a good turfer (Splattershot Jr, Aerospray etc.), they generally don't spend too much time inking over your ink on walls and stuff, which makes them fantastic little paths to use.

Yeah, I do love echolocator on eliter. I've found a few flanks that way. But cold blooded really breaks it. But it never made as much sense on other weapons like hydra. You can't chase down your flanker, and you're not likely to be as perched or as far as eliter so you're going to be more aware of the action in the immediate area. It helps the team (though I wonder if most randoms even notice?)

I still need to try it in more maps. I felt REALLY useless in Port Mackarel. The usual eliter perches just aren't as easy to hold with hydra. And the close quarters don't do sprinklers any favors. I found myself more times than not running back to spawn to pick up flanks than holding anything of value. I'm liking it so far. And I think I need to add it to my stable of mains. Hard to dethrone the eliter(s), carbon, and splat charger as favorites though! But I'm liking it so far!
Personally I think cold-blooded is kinda broken. It cuts down the duration by a bit too much IMO.

Yea I think Hydra doesn't excel on Port Mackerel due to not having really nice high vantage points, but it can still perform admirably there. Try putting sprinklers in locations where enemies are forced to run past it to destroy it or have to use AOE damage like blasters and inkstrikes to take it out.

ShinyTogetic

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Maikaru
Switch Friend Code
SW-3468-6485-0599
damage up is not really useful since it always 4HKOs

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow
damage up is not really useful since it always 4HKOs
Except it doesn't if someone bothers wearing 3x defense up mains, then it becomes a 5HKO.

Sporting 2 strength up mains + 2 strength up subs (or 3x main and 1 sub) gives you 99.9dmg in 3 hits on squids with no defense ups so if you ink the ground they're on and they step in it you can take them out with 3 hits after.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
Last ditch effort, really? It's like the worst ability in the game, why would somebody waste a slot for that?

Also stealth jump is better on weapons that can immediately make a threat for a kill, like rollers, Luna, Tentatek maybe and such. The moment you land you still have to charge, giving the time to opponents to react. And superjumping for passing bubble on teammates is an option evey Bubbler weapon has, why making it slower?

Also splatlings are not affected by defence up if I recall correctly, so damage up seems not worthy imo.
I should put down my reasonings lol. In the case of Last Ditch Effort, I always found myself holding the fort during the last minutes of battle, whether defending a lead (Ranked) or assuring a push (any mode), so I found it to be very helpful. Damage Up, ironically, I found to be most useful on the Sprinklers: while anchoring an area/providing a distraction, get in the extra hits to assure the splat. Also helpful for making sure to get kills with part-charges while activating Bubbler. Stealth Jump is there because, wherever you jump, you do NOT want to get spawncamped, especially since snipers always target Splatlings (and this one in particular, if only for the support potential of its special), so its best not to be seen (I personally had big problems when I didn't use Stealth Jump).

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
Hmm I normally just spend my snails on adding slots and I'm trying to hoard up a lot of cash just for the numbers, when I'm close to the maximum then I'll spend them on slots (if there are still any) and maybe some fun rerolls. Some of these people are savescumming but personally I rather spend time just playing the game and working on my skills, strategies and tactics.
At least there's one other doing what I'm doing!

And I know there ARE people who genuinely get rerolls of perfects (I have 2 perfect shoes and never rerolled a thing, just lucked out first roll.) and make it a point to reroll everything to a perfect. There are some on the boards here, and I'm sure they're legit perfects. But the sheer number of players I see with all perfect gear on, I'm sure most of these people didn't do that just with snails and $30k rerolls. I've never scummed, and frankly the process looks like a complete PITA, so I should have more "respect" for anyone willing to spend that much time and effort on it, but while not everyone sees it as cheating, I just can't see scummers as anything but plain old cheaters. The devs designed the probabilities, money and snail/fest distribution with the intent of there being a certain percentage of perfects within the game world so the game wouldn't be spammed by players loaded up on perfect stats weapons. By trying to gain an advantage the scummers are breaking the probabilities in the game and effectively putting an inflationary value on abilities. The more scummers with, say, 9x swim speed on a sploosh, the more you NEED 9x swim speed to compete at the same level with a sploosh, so more people scum and the competition is now based on the assumption of the weapon's abilities when coupled with perfect gear. Of course, it's Nintendo's fault for storing metadata for an online game on the local system like it's 1998. I generally prefer local everything and hate cloud everything, but it's not like you can play Splatoon without being online anyway short of the Battle Dojo (and campaign with its own gear.) I also think the lottery system is awful and would have preferred "spend a snail to reroll a slot" rather than reroll all 3, that way you could spend your way to a perfect or whatever you want much more practically and would have allowed more customization, and, ironically less perfects (why reroll for a perfect when you want that inksaver on slot 2 anyway, just reroll superjump on slot 3.) But I still don't cheat my way out of it. :mad:

Depending on where you are at the time, you can also start charging first before activating your Bubbler. Considering that Bubbler can be shared, having it any longer would be disastrous (imagine a team of 4 Bubblers chaining and spreading it -_-)
Hmm, that's interesting. Can you bubble while fully charged? It's possible I've even done that and didn't realize it. I also realized lag plays a big role sometimes. I try to save my bubbler if I know they're coming up a wall, and wait until they get up the wall to activate it to be sure I have enough time to get them. But sometimes i get killed before they come up the wall. Nothing like nzap shots hitting you from an nzap that hasn't been seen through the wall yet...

Yeah, I curse out bubblers all the time when they're chained and used against me in squds of 4 in that last 45seconds raid I mentioned. They're all too effective used against me, but I can't seem to use them effectively myself. Though part of that might be my team is usually pretty scattered, so sharing it with more than one person is often difficult. I'll never understand how it is that the other teem always seems to be the organized one working as a unit while mine wants to spread out everywhere. :) I'd swear it was voice chat! :p Maybe it's because I'm not joining the push, but as a hydra/eliter, it's kind of hard to do that unless you're joining in a push already under way! It's easier with carbon, but then, carbon, like sploosh works best with stealthily flanking, so it's not much of a pusher either.

The best thing about splat bombs IMO is that you have some control over its detonation time, how you utilize that once again boils down to creativity and the circumstances itself. Haha reading your few posts I feel like you're not one to multitask when it comes to weapons, subs and specials :p It's safe to say that any weapon set requires judicious use of everything to fulfill its full potential.
I do love splat bombs! My main reason for loving splat charger sometimes is the splat bombs. In fact I might take to ditching eliter when I see Mackarel in rotation and going with splat charger. The splat bombs are sooo good around corners. It's fun in Flouder, too, if your team has the top, I just lob splat bombs with some range up to the enemy ramp :) I often have higher kill counts due to splat bombs with splat charger than with eliter, though it's break-even because eliter causes more enemy u-turns with merely a warning shot in front of them or coating them in ink. Somehow they never meshed with vanilla Hydra for me though. Too little gain, too much ink, not enough turf, too slow to use the main gun after.

LOL, yeah, I don't think I'm much of a multitasker with specials. Weapons and subs I'm fine with. Throw in the "not always available special" and it does get forgotten a lot. So many times I get taken out with CHydra and THEN realize "oh no, I had a bubbler!" I'm always saving it for the right moment, then just forget about it. Or I go to use it, and it's not charged yet because I forgot it was after I got splatted and the enemy is rushing the base.

Echo I use right away, bomb rush I'll use offensively fairly right away. The others I either save and forget about or just forget about (or it's never charged when I need it.) Wail and inkstrike I'll use semi-ok. I think it's the defensive ones I"m prone to save "in case I really need it", and inkzooka I'll save because it takes so long to charge I'm not sure I'll get it back before the end, and because I so seldom have targets I really want to hit that I can't just hit with the main weapon (snipers with Carbon being the exception. So then I use the whole special that took forever to charge to take out one enemy. But inkzooka also gets me killed a lot. I'll use it when the enemy is rushing the base, and then they can get too close if I miss (or if they lag teleport) and take me out anyway.) Bubbler and kraken often end up never used for me. Then again I'm often ending up never dying with Hydra (or dying once in the last 20s.) so the bubbler would help me so little in many rounds it's easy to forget its there.

Though I AM a player that does not hesitate to jump to spawn. Not many people seem to remember they can do that. Playing with beacons got me used to it, and I'll often jump to spawn before a beacon just because the thumb reaches right to the spawn button on the touch screen without having to stop and look at the map while being chased. I bailed on Bridge a few times when my perch was compromised with CHydra yesterday. It might be even more powerful with hydra than eliter to be chased from your perch and still be right in front of the enemy as they try to get to your spawn. Shuts down the invasion pretty fast. Bubbler only helps you hold your ground a few seconds, but if you're being overrun by multiple inklings from multiple angles, that won't help much.

Ok I realized I should have mentioned something besides 'problem squids'. There are also the people who are focused on weak links on the other team and will hunt them constantly for easier kills. (I get hunted quite a bit when I'm using the H-3).
Interesting (and cheap.) And kind of ironic - if you suck, you'll get hunted. If you're awesome, you'll get hunted. If you're mediocre you'll be enemy free. :p

I'm most used to it with defensive play which I'm likely using eliter or carbon (or now, hydra), 2 of which attract a lot of attention and certainly get hunted due to their importance and predictable/static positioning. Carbon itself doesn't normally get hunted since it's a hunter, but I'll often play it defensively depending on map (Piranha, that area with the bump and conveyor, I'll often set up in that area and spend the whole round thwarting invasions. They KNOW I'm there, by the end of the round. And they know I'm the only one holding that position. So they finally come for me together.

I think most other weapons I use I'll generally be out hunting stragglers or turfing. The blasters, certainly. I don't use too many shooters really. L3 is my fav. but I hate button mashing so I don't use it much. Certainly possible I'll get hunted with some of those though. I never really considered enemies selectively hunting certain weapons other than chargers/hydras or bad players.

So many weird mashups in this game. Sloshing Machine that's more of a Rapid Blaster than a Slosher, Hydra Splatling that's more like a charger than a Splatling, and Squiffer/Bamboozler that's more of a shooter than a charger.

I watched this Custom E-Liter montage from a Japanese player the other day and it made me realize the beakons he set up were more for his own use than for his team mates...so when I see one on my team with beakons in particular spots I don't use them. As a Custom 3K maybe you could plant another one close by as insurance?
Neat, at least I'm not the only one that wants to use it that way (and at least there's one player out there who doesn't use them up!) Yeah, that's what I've been trying to do, plant 2 in the one location and 1 in the alt location. Helps if team mates use it and also in case of an ink strike (hard on some maps - mahi has those base raiders who take them out easily.) The only trouble is the time to place them and recover ink from it is time lost watching for foes. I'm still working out good strategies for that. The fact that it's hard to get up walls quickly without burst bombs hinders how flexible it can be.

At least when they're gone from the "other" perch I like to think my beacons helped my team push or hold back an attack. When I really want to punch squids in the face through the monitors is when they jump to the beacon I'M STANDING RIGHT NEXT TO! :p

In my experience on TW, unless the enemy has a good turfer (Splattershot Jr, Aerospray etc.), they generally don't spend too much time inking over your ink on walls and stuff, which makes them fantastic little paths to use.
Interesting. I tend to make it a point to cover up any any ink on traversal walls no matter my weapon, so I didn't think much of it. I guess being a sniper makes you very aware wall climbers and how dangerous they are ;)

Personally I think cold-blooded is kinda broken. It cuts down the duration by a bit too much IMO.

Yea I think Hydra doesn't excel on Port Mackerel due to not having really nice high vantage points, but it can still perform admirably there. Try putting sprinklers in locations where enemies are forced to run past it to destroy it or have to use AOE damage like blasters and inkstrikes to take it out.
Yeah. I'm not sure how/if cold blooded could/should work though. If it made you totally immune to echo locator and point sensor, there would be little point to either since it would be a maybe/maybe not situation. If they didn't have cold-blooded, echo would become meta and stealth play would become irrelevant. So I see why they did it the way they did it. IMO what it does is it makes echo kind of useless, but makes point sensor still relevant (you can't track them long, but you know they're in that 5 foot radius in front of you.) It's that gray area of echo that's weird. With cold blooded it's useless if you don't see 4 squids. But if there were no cold blooded it would be all-powerful. I have some ok cold blooded gear, but I tend never to use it because it's so situational if someone's going to echo or not, I'll just spend the slot on swim speed or armor.

The one that needs a rework is Ninja squid. I keep it around for when I'm splooshing, but the problem is, terrain is NEVER evenly inked. Your squid becomes visible on those little inevitable pockmarks in the ink, AND if going over the apex of an incline or ridge in the map. Yet it seems the octobrushers can use it so effectively and remain entirely hidden even when you KNOW they're there. I finally figured out yesterday that lag (at least on piranha) is playing a role there too. I watched enemies disappear into their ink - never come out, and somehow were 3 feet away in a new line of ink (seen through scope.) I forget with what shooter/blaster they had, but what they DID was fire, swim, jump, fire, swim. But with the magic of lag teleportation, they fired, swam, then suddenly, invisibly were in a new pool of ink without ever being visible. I think that sort of thing happens more than I realize.

I'm still loving the CHydra so far. I got to use it in more maps now and it's done very well in all but Mackerel so far. It's seriously up there with my eliters and carbon now. It's amazing fun on museum. First weapon I've been able to fully put down a base invasion with once they were on our side. It boxed them in very nicely for cleanup! Pretty powerful on bridge too. That's one of my favorite eliter levels and the hydra might have been even more powerful there in creeping forward - though we did lose a number of rounds. But it really held our momentum through the grates in a way eliter can't.

Award

Except it doesn't if someone bothers wearing 3x defense up mains, then it becomes a 5HKO.

Sporting 2 strength up mains + 2 strength up subs (or 3x main and 1 sub) gives you 99.9dmg in 3 hits on squids with no defense ups so if you ink the ground they're on and they step in it you can take them out with 3 hits after.
Interesting, it makes me want to try my eliter gear with CHydra!

Award

I should put down my reasonings lol. In the case of Last Ditch Effort, I always found myself holding the fort during the last minutes of battle, whether defending a lead (Ranked) or assuring a push (any mode), so I found it to be very helpful. Damage Up, ironically, I found to be most useful on the Sprinklers: while anchoring an area/providing a distraction, get in the extra hits to assure the splat. Also helpful for making sure to get kills with part-charges while activating Bubbler. Stealth Jump is there because, wherever you jump, you do NOT want to get spawncamped, especially since snipers always target Splatlings (and this one in particular, if only for the support potential of its special), so its best not to be seen (I personally had big problems when I didn't use Stealth Jump).
Due to the above mentioned situation where it seems common in the last minute i get rushed, as I also play defense, I've often considered last ditch effort. The reason I don't is that usually said assault takes place around the :40 second mark, a full 10s before LDE kicks in making it useless, and of the attributes it boosts, you can boost any one of them instead for the full match rather than both of them for only the last 30s. The idea is great, but I think it was designed for a theoretical meta rather than the way it's really played. Last MINUTE would have been a great skill!

In a lot of ways stacking quick respawn + Comeback would be the best way to prepare for inevitable assaults. I imagine no base invasion would go well with a zombie hydra that just won't stay dead and gets stronger every time you shoot it. Your score would look like trash after the match with a high death rate, but no matter how many times you get splatted you just pop back up stronger than before. Though I can't get myself to do that.

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow
I realize this conversation includes quite a bit of offtopic subjects so I'll highlight the parts I consider relevant to Custom Hydra to make it easier for the others reading this thread.

At least there's one other doing what I'm doing!

And I know there ARE people who genuinely get rerolls of perfects (I have 2 perfect shoes and never rerolled a thing, just lucked out first roll.) and make it a point to reroll everything to a perfect. There are some on the boards here, and I'm sure they're legit perfects. But the sheer number of players I see with all perfect gear on, I'm sure most of these people didn't do that just with snails and $30k rerolls. I've never scummed, and frankly the process looks like a complete PITA, so I should have more "respect" for anyone willing to spend that much time and effort on it, but while not everyone sees it as cheating, I just can't see scummers as anything but plain old cheaters. The devs designed the probabilities, money and snail/fest distribution with the intent of there being a certain percentage of perfects within the game world so the game wouldn't be spammed by players loaded up on perfect stats weapons. By trying to gain an advantage the scummers are breaking the probabilities in the game and effectively putting an inflationary value on abilities. The more scummers with, say, 9x swim speed on a sploosh, the more you NEED 9x swim speed to compete at the same level with a sploosh, so more people scum and the competition is now based on the assumption of the weapon's abilities when coupled with perfect gear. Of course, it's Nintendo's fault for storing metadata for an online game on the local system like it's 1998. I generally prefer local everything and hate cloud everything, but it's not like you can play Splatoon without being online anyway short of the Battle Dojo (and campaign with its own gear.) I also think the lottery system is awful and would have preferred "spend a snail to reroll a slot" rather than reroll all 3, that way you could spend your way to a perfect or whatever you want much more practically and would have allowed more customization, and, ironically less perfects (why reroll for a perfect when you want that inksaver on slot 2 anyway, just reroll superjump on slot 3.) But I still don't cheat my way out of it. :mad:
Heh, I'm sure there are a lot more who think like me (there are maybe 3 million of us squids by now? :D)

I've also gotten a few perfect gears which seems to usually happen on 1 star equipment from what I noticed. I could be wrong though.

I'm fine with savescumming. Those people chose to spend their time and effort that way, I choose to focus on personal skill. Whilst I have no hard proof, I don't feel that sub abilities change that much in the meta, it's just that the people who want to stay competitive latched on to the min-max trend.

The best thing I could say about people who own perfect gear is that they have even less excuses to blame their losses on subpar equipment; they have to realize it's their skill letting them down.

I do agree that there are things Nintendo could have done better, hindsight always works this way though.

Hmm, that's interesting. Can you bubble while fully charged? It's possible I've even done that and didn't realize it. I also realized lag plays a big role sometimes. I try to save my bubbler if I know they're coming up a wall, and wait until they get up the wall to activate it to be sure I have enough time to get them. But sometimes i get killed before they come up the wall. Nothing like nzap shots hitting you from an nzap that hasn't been seen through the wall yet...

Yeah, I curse out bubblers all the time when they're chained and used against me in squds of 4 in that last 45seconds raid I mentioned. They're all too effective used against me, but I can't seem to use them effectively myself. Though part of that might be my team is usually pretty scattered, so sharing it with more than one person is often difficult. I'll never understand how it is that the other teem always seems to be the organized one working as a unit while mine wants to spread out everywhere. :) I'd swear it was voice chat! :p Maybe it's because I'm not joining the push, but as a hydra/eliter, it's kind of hard to do that unless you're joining in a push already under way! It's easier with carbon, but then, carbon, like sploosh works best with stealthily flanking, so it's not much of a pusher either.
Yes, you can activate your special whilst on a full charge and whatever ink you used for that charge would be refilled too. You don't necessarily have to share your Bubbler with all 3 other team mates, just with the 1 or 2 who might be most suited for pushing (generally no point sharing with a carbon roller IMO, he'd get pushed back even more, unless you want to have 4 bubbled squids intimidating the enemy at their spawn point or something :D)

I assume the better players understand the meta in TW which is that unless you can spawncamp an enemy team for 2+ minutes, your best bet is to prepare to push for the last 30-45 seconds. I also think they pay attention to both team's loadout so they can improvise accordingly.

As an example, if I see 2 chargers on Moray Towers (and I'm using the right weapon) and none on my team, I'll make a beeline to the center to harass them from the get go because I know letting them take control there is disastrous.

I do love splat bombs! My main reason for loving splat charger sometimes is the splat bombs. In fact I might take to ditching eliter when I see Mackarel in rotation and going with splat charger. The splat bombs are sooo good around corners. It's fun in Flouder, too, if your team has the top, I just lob splat bombs with some range up to the enemy ramp :) I often have higher kill counts due to splat bombs with splat charger than with eliter, though it's break-even because eliter causes more enemy u-turns with merely a warning shot in front of them or coating them in ink. Somehow they never meshed with vanilla Hydra for me though. Too little gain, too much ink, not enough turf, too slow to use the main gun after.
Haha I started learning the charger a few weeks ago and all I did was try to get more kills with the splat bombs :P I think @Of Moose & Men has a better idea of how to utilize splat bombs on the Hydra so you could ask him about it, I have my ideas with it but I haven't thought up any superb strategies that utilize them yet.

LOL, yeah, I don't think I'm much of a multitasker with specials. Weapons and subs I'm fine with. Throw in the "not always available special" and it does get forgotten a lot. So many times I get taken out with CHydra and THEN realize "oh no, I had a bubbler!" I'm always saving it for the right moment, then just forget about it. Or I go to use it, and it's not charged yet because I forgot it was after I got splatted and the enemy is rushing the base.

Echo I use right away, bomb rush I'll use offensively fairly right away. The others I either save and forget about or just forget about (or it's never charged when I need it.) Wail and inkstrike I'll use semi-ok. I think it's the defensive ones I"m prone to save "in case I really need it", and inkzooka I'll save because it takes so long to charge I'm not sure I'll get it back before the end, and because I so seldom have targets I really want to hit that I can't just hit with the main weapon (snipers with Carbon being the exception. So then I use the whole special that took forever to charge to take out one enemy. But inkzooka also gets me killed a lot. I'll use it when the enemy is rushing the base, and then they can get too close if I miss (or if they lag teleport) and take me out anyway.) Bubbler and kraken often end up never used for me. Then again I'm often ending up never dying with Hydra (or dying once in the last 20s.) so the bubbler would help me so little in many rounds it's easy to forget its there.
I feel the more you play, the more strategies you'll develop and encounter. Personally I always observe the situation before popping my Echolocator, unless I really need the ink refill right there.

Situations where I don't pop it immediately:
  • A teammate already has it active (I do tend to chain it right after that one ends for maximum pressure :D)
  • Only 1-2 enemies are alive
  • Only 1-2 of my team are alive
  • I happen to be in a bad spot (enemies can see the location of the person who activated it as it happens)

Theses are just a few examples and ultimately you are the one who has to judge the situation yourself.

Though I AM a player that does not hesitate to jump to spawn. Not many people seem to remember they can do that. Playing with beacons got me used to it, and I'll often jump to spawn before a beacon just because the thumb reaches right to the spawn button on the touch screen without having to stop and look at the map while being chased. I bailed on Bridge a few times when my perch was compromised with CHydra yesterday. It might be even more powerful with hydra than eliter to be chased from your perch and still be right in front of the enemy as they try to get to your spawn. Shuts down the invasion pretty fast. Bubbler only helps you hold your ground a few seconds, but if you're being overrun by multiple inklings from multiple angles, that won't help much.
I do use the jump back to spawn but I can't say I've always done it at the right time. At times I feel it'd be better if I stood my ground, meaning that those times I might have jumped back to spawn a little too early.

I mention this because in some games, I feel the person who kept jumping back actually cost his team some games. It's hard to say for sure without a robust replay function that allows me to see what everyone is doing at a given time but at least I can watch my recorded matches and make some assumptions

Interesting (and cheap.) And kind of ironic - if you suck, you'll get hunted. If you're awesome, you'll get hunted. If you're mediocre you'll be enemy free. :p

I'm most used to it with defensive play which I'm likely using eliter or carbon (or now, hydra), 2 of which attract a lot of attention and certainly get hunted due to their importance and predictable/static positioning. Carbon itself doesn't normally get hunted since it's a hunter, but I'll often play it defensively depending on map (Piranha, that area with the bump and conveyor, I'll often set up in that area and spend the whole round thwarting invasions. They KNOW I'm there, by the end of the round. And they know I'm the only one holding that position. So they finally come for me together.

I think most other weapons I use I'll generally be out hunting stragglers or turfing. The blasters, certainly. I don't use too many shooters really. L3 is my fav. but I hate button mashing so I don't use it much. Certainly possible I'll get hunted with some of those though. I never really considered enemies selectively hunting certain weapons other than chargers/hydras or bad players.

So many weird mashups in this game. Sloshing Machine that's more of a Rapid Blaster than a Slosher, Hydra Splatling that's more like a charger than a Splatling, and Squiffer/Bamboozler that's more of a shooter than a charger.
Think of it from another angle, if you're getting hunted by more than 1 enemy, it means they're dedicating more resources so hopefully your other 3 team mates can push harder against the remaining 1-2 enemies. It then becomes your duty to maintain the distraction. Obviously weapons with higher mobility (sploosh, brushes etc.) than the CHydra would work better at distracting but sometimes you might have to run around for a bit and either chase them back or hope you have a teammate to take them out in the meantime. The CHydra's strength is still at long range suppression after all.

An anecdote: I used Custom SSJ vs an E-Liter custom on Piranha Pit and Flounder Heights the other day and I'd keep disrupting him whenever I could. He maintained a low death count (0-1) and usually had 5-7 kills. I on the other hand would get a few kills and maybe 6 deaths on average...the thing is, my team generally always won (this was with randoms in TW). His turfing was also always under 400p for what it's worth, mine was always approaching 1000p at least.

I mention this because I have singled out prioritized enemies before so hopefully it lets you realize that yes, squids do target specific kids.

Neat, at least I'm not the only one that wants to use it that way (and at least there's one player out there who doesn't use them up!) Yeah, that's what I've been trying to do, plant 2 in the one location and 1 in the alt location. Helps if team mates use it and also in case of an ink strike (hard on some maps - mahi has those base raiders who take them out easily.) The only trouble is the time to place them and recover ink from it is time lost watching for foes. I'm still working out good strategies for that. The fact that it's hard to get up walls quickly without burst bombs hinders how flexible it can be.

At least when they're gone from the "other" perch I like to think my beacons helped my team push or hold back an attack. When I really want to punch squids in the face through the monitors is when they jump to the beacon I'M STANDING RIGHT NEXT TO! :p
That's the fun (and frustration) of not being able to communicate at times. Sometimes you have to hope your teammate has the intuition or experience.

Interesting. I tend to make it a point to cover up any any ink on traversal walls no matter my weapon, so I didn't think much of it. I guess being a sniper makes you very aware wall climbers and how dangerous they are ;)
I'd say a Hydra has to pay attention to that too, although a well-timed charge with some fine reactions could reduce an invading squid to puddles quickly :D (then again sometimes the invading squid is an SSJ with a Bubbler -_-)

Yeah. I'm not sure how/if cold blooded could/should work though. If it made you totally immune to echo locator and point sensor, there would be little point to either since it would be a maybe/maybe not situation. If they didn't have cold-blooded, echo would become meta and stealth play would become irrelevant. So I see why they did it the way they did it. IMO what it does is it makes echo kind of useless, but makes point sensor still relevant (you can't track them long, but you know they're in that 5 foot radius in front of you.) It's that gray area of echo that's weird. With cold blooded it's useless if you don't see 4 squids. But if there were no cold blooded it would be all-powerful. I have some ok cold blooded gear, but I tend never to use it because it's so situational if someone's going to echo or not, I'll just spend the slot on swim speed or armor.

The one that needs a rework is Ninja squid. I keep it around for when I'm splooshing, but the problem is, terrain is NEVER evenly inked. Your squid becomes visible on those little inevitable pockmarks in the ink, AND if going over the apex of an incline or ridge in the map. Yet it seems the octobrushers can use it so effectively and remain entirely hidden even when you KNOW they're there. I finally figured out yesterday that lag (at least on piranha) is playing a role there too. I watched enemies disappear into their ink - never come out, and somehow were 3 feet away in a new line of ink (seen through scope.) I forget with what shooter/blaster they had, but what they DID was fire, swim, jump, fire, swim. But with the magic of lag teleportation, they fired, swam, then suddenly, invisibly were in a new pool of ink without ever being visible. I think that sort of thing happens more than I realize.
For cold-blooded I think they could have varying effects based on whether it was an echolocator or a point sensor. It really sucked when I took forever to build up the special on Hydra and cold-blooded users would just have it disappear in roughly 3 seconds or so. Or maybe they could reduce the amount of ink it took to charge the special, or just increase the turfing efficiency of the Hydra; I honestly think Hydra is one of the worst weapons at charging up echolocators. So that leaves us with a weapon that is mostly weapon+sub with the special as an occasional bonus. Then again, that's how I look at the Sloshing Machine Neo; the inkzooka is a bonus to me.

I think ninja squid is fine. If you noticed Octobrush users doing well with it, best thing is you try it out yourself and it might grant you some insight on how to better use the weapon+gear :)

About the lag, sometimes it's really just stuff happening so damn fast. There were times I thought I got OHKOed by an Octoshot, then I went to watch my recorded video in slow motion and it does show that I did get hit by 3 shots, it's just really really fast. Teleporters are definitely crappy lag though.

I'm still loving the CHydra so far. I got to use it in more maps now and it's done very well in all but Mackerel so far. It's seriously up there with my eliters and carbon now. It's amazing fun on museum. First weapon I've been able to fully put down a base invasion with once they were on our side. It boxed them in very nicely for cleanup! Pretty powerful on bridge too. That's one of my favorite eliter levels and the hydra might have been even more powerful there in creeping forward - though we did lose a number of rounds. But it really held our momentum through the grates in a way eliter can't.
Funnily enough, I know a lot of people have mentioned Hydra (and probably CHydra) being excellent on Museum but I never feel THAT in control there. It's not that I don't believe the people who find it good there, just saying I haven't worked out an optimal strategy on that map for my own playstyle.

I haven't used the CHydra extensively on any of the maps so I can't say which map I'm most comfortable playing it on. What I do still feel is that, unless I have a Bubbler ready, Bamboozlers are still my biggest nightmare. The moment they get close enough to hit me, I'm pretty much dead. I definitely need to keep working on that matchup.

PK21

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
PuffleKirby21
This is Squidboards, where :ability_damage: is required on every single weapon no matter what.
I'm pretty sure I've seen someone saying that it makes :disruptor: better... somehow. .-.

:ability_damage: is useless on all Splatlings ("BUT WHAT IF SOMEONE HAS 3 MAIN :ability_defenseup:?????????" Seriously tell me of a single person you've seen with a set like that. 1. It could be anyone. Also this weapon shoots incredibly quickly so 1 extra hit won't be a huge problem most of the time) , while :ability_runspeed: and/or :ability_swimspeed: would be of high priority.

ShinyTogetic

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Maikaru
Switch Friend Code
SW-3468-6485-0599
This is Squidboards, where :ability_damage: is required on every single weapon no matter what.
I'm pretty sure I've seen someone saying that it makes :disruptor: better... somehow. .-.

:ability_damage: is useless on all Splatlings ("BUT WHAT IF SOMEONE HAS 3 MAIN :ability_defenseup:?????????" Seriously tell me of a single person you've seen with a set like that. 1. It could be anyone. Also this weapon shoots incredibly quickly so 1 extra hit won't be a huge problem most of the time) , while :ability_runspeed: and/or :ability_swimspeed: would be of high priority.
you
deserve
my praise

97Stephen

Pro Squid

I actually see quite a few people running three defense ups. About one every other battle. And one more shot can make a big difference. At the tail end of your range it can be hard to land hits on really fast moving enemies. I don't run damage up but I might try it to see if it helps get kills.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801

Most Japanese Gal. users that I've seen run 3 Defense Up mains (and however many subs they can get; it's super annoying).

ShinyTogetic

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Maikaru
Switch Friend Code
SW-3468-6485-0599
Most Japanese Gal. users that I've seen run 3 Defense Up mains (and however many subs they can get; it's super annoying).
Yes but still no difference really...
but if you're that paranoid about it then do as you wish

Award

I've also gotten a few perfect gears which seems to usually happen on 1 star equipment from what I noticed. I could be wrong though.

I'm fine with savescumming. Those people chose to spend their time and effort that way, I choose to focus on personal skill. Whilst I have no hard proof, I don't feel that sub abilities change that much in the meta, it's just that the people who want to stay competitive latched on to the min-max trend.
Interesting. I can't remember if I had 2 or 3 slot gear, but I'm pretty sure at the time I rolled both perfects I had either not spent any snails yet, or had only spent them sparingly, so it was either a 2 slot or a 3 slot that rolled them both. I can't remember the names of either, the one is the white snow boot things with perfect ink recovery (quick SJ main), and the other is the white tennis sneakers with perfect ink saver main (ink saver sub main.)

Interesting about min-max being a trend rather than as important as people say. You could be right!

Haha I started learning the charger a few weeks ago and all I did was try to get more kills with the splat bombs :p I think @Of Moose & Men has a better idea of how to utilize splat bombs on the Hydra so you could ask him about it, I have my ideas with it but I haven't thought up any superb strategies that utilize them yet.
LOL, I'm still waiting for @Of Moose & Men to answer my prior set of charger/hydra questions! :p;)

I do use the jump back to spawn but I can't say I've always done it at the right time. At times I feel it'd be better if I stood my ground, meaning that those times I might have jumped back to spawn a little too early.

I mention this because in some games, I feel the person who kept jumping back actually cost his team some games. It's hard to say for sure without a robust replay function that allows me to see what everyone is doing at a given time but at least I can watch my recorded matches and make some assumptions
Yeah, that's always the tricky question. It's an easy question for an eliter: You Know when you can't control the situation any more and the opponent is too close, you're not going to do the team any good sticking around. If your position was lost, it was lost before you jumped. And with eliter's range, if your position was compromised, the spawn jump can get you into a new position faster than swimming there. WIth Carbon I know I've jumped the gun too many times, but you don't get to wait and find out later, and carbon shouldn't be responsible for holding positions, so if the team was compromised from a harasser being splatted because the harasser was actually holding map control, the team has bigger problems. :)

Hydra's more complicated. It can really go down swinging unlike the others. It never pays to stand your ground with a charger or melee, but hydra can....and I seem more tempted to try with it. Not always to the best effect. Unlike CEliter, CHydra CAN fight point blank not much worse than a Mini. And a sprinkler can help you recover fast. And it doesn't have the range for repositioning from deeper in the base to be as effective as eliter. However normal hydra would be a lot easier to stand your ground with. It's one reason I hoard the bubbler.

An anecdote: I used Custom SSJ vs an E-Liter custom on Piranha Pit and Flounder Heights the other day and I'd keep disrupting him whenever I could. He maintained a low death count (0-1) and usually had 5-7 kills. I on the other hand would get a few kills and maybe 6 deaths on average...the thing is, my team generally always won (this was with randoms in TW). His turfing was also always under 400p for what it's worth, mine was always approaching 1000p at least.

I mention this because I have singled out prioritized enemies before so hopefully it lets you realize that yes, squids do target specific kids.
Are you sure that wasn't me? :p

Just going by my own experience on that map with eliter, 0-1 deaths and 5-6 kills including under 400p is pretty good if holding defense. I'd say he wasn't all that affected by your distractions but he probably enjoyed having something to shoot at for the first 2min :), and his team's loss was probably down to the other 3 not pushing, or your team successfully pushing in force in the last minute. IMO a lot of players simply don't understand that map, much like Saltspray and Dome. I tend not to get tons of ink with either eliter or Hydra, sometimes over 400, sometimes not, depending on how busy the opponents keep me. I know when I got really overrun or distracted in Pit because our base will get overrun and I'll have terrible k/d. Generally if I get low ink there, I just stayed busy shooting, and didn't need my special. and someone else gets those ink points.

Speaking of Pit, CHydra is a weird beast there. The perches are too far to be all that useful for most of the action. It can defend the bump if needed, but I oddly found that that's a map I'll play carbon roller HIGHLY defensive in defending the bump, but CHydra I'll actually take offensive - using sprinklers to claim and push. It was a really weird experience, but I didn't try it much since I really wanted to try out some eliter tricks in Flounder that @Hobbes pointed me to.

(generally no point sharing with a carbon roller IMO, he'd get pushed back even more, unless you want to have 4 bubbled squids intimidating the enemy at their spawn point or something :D)
There's a special place in a seagull's beak for squids who do that.... :mad:

So that leaves us with a weapon that is mostly weapon+sub with the special as an occasional bonus. Then again, that's how I look at the Sloshing Machine Neo; the inkzooka is a bonus to me.

That's how I look at EVERY weapon! :p I do have to take out the vanilla Hydra at some point too, but IMO the ink usage for bombs is just so not worth the reward versus the creeping zone of control the CHdyra yields (unless your team gets flanked, then you're back to square one.

think ninja squid is fine. If you noticed Octobrush users doing well with it, best thing is you try it out yourself and it might grant you some insight on how to better use the weapon+gear :)
Oh I've used the gear, and I'll never understand how the users can make it work so well. You need glass smooth surfaces. real battlefields are pockmarked with enemy mink and little ledges and hills that reveal you. However the octobrush itself, I love. I'd add it to my mains, if only it weren't so button mashy. I hate button mashy weapons, and that goes for Sloshing Machine too. Which is a shame because I'd really like the octobrush myself otherwise. I'm just sick of fighting against them. They're almost invincible when nearby. :p

About the lag, sometimes it's really just stuff happening so damn fast. There were times I thought I got OHKOed by an Octoshot, then I went to watch my recorded video in slow motion and it does show that I did get hit by 3 shots, it's just really really fast. Teleporters are definitely crappy lag though.
Teleporters happen allll the time. I think because I main mostly precision weapons I notice it more. WIth Hydra I dont' really seem bothered by it much. With eliter, many many times I shoot things that aren't really there, or I'm trying to aim at something that's moving unpredictably, not because a skilled player is evading me well but because they're snapping forward and backward in magic rubberbanding flashes as they move perpendicularly. I'm guessing Splatoon's netcode prediction is shared with MK8 which also has rubberbanding issues. Same with Carbon, many times I'll move in for the ambush toward an enemy only for them to be behind me, or above me after they dropped down. (one way octobrushes have an advantage - a 45 degree arc of death, where carbon has that charger like precision strike) I got 1-shot by an nzap. I heard myself being hit by the nzap's first few hits while the shooter was still behind a wall. As soon as they emerged I was splatted. Hydra, if nothing else, is good at killing lag results :D

Funnily enough, I know a lot of people have mentioned Hydra (and probably CHydra) being excellent on Museum but I never feel THAT in control there. It's not that I don't believe the people who find it good there, just saying I haven't worked out an optimal strategy on that map for my own playstyle.

I haven't used the CHydra extensively on any of the maps so I can't say which map I'm most comfortable playing it on. What I do still feel is that, unless I have a Bubbler ready, Bamboozlers are still my biggest nightmare. The moment they get close enough to hit me, I'm pretty much dead. I definitely need to keep working on that matchup.
For Museum I generally stay with the rotating wall on our side of the divide. The range reaches most of the way across mid, and you're relatively safe in that area as long as you guard the mid rotary since that's the only access to you. It would be dangerous to assist in a push on the other side since you could easily get flanked and the enemy could regain mid (and you'd have to fend them off from the enemy's side.) So for me it's about keeping mid, and let your team push beyond it. The sprinklers are amazing with the rotating walls, since the wall lets your one sprinkler cover tons of territory and keeps the enemy distracted, having to pause near the mid tower often to knock them off, giving you time to keep them away from the tower. And from the height of the upper perches on your wall, you can keep hosing down most of mid and the pillar. It's almost cheating.

And unlike eliter, where if they DO make it to your tower it's hopeless for you to do anything at all about it, you fall back to spawn and hope for the best, this thing fires up close and you can keep them away. If they're stupid enough to try to race your spawn zone, you can hose the floors and box them in, letting your respawning team get easy kills.

Museum is for hydras what Moray is for eliters, IMO. Especially CHydra. *Note: You will get dizzy ridi
ng that spinning wall for too long though....Callie's right about that... :D

Award

From reading all the gear and weapon threads, I've come to the realization that every main ability is recommended for every weapon simultaneously. I'm not sure where everyone else gets enough slots for all the mains they need. Maybe they got socks, earrings, rings, bracelets, neckties, scarves, overcoats, and tattoos as additional clothing types via the Callie & Marie Amiibo or something. :confused:

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
By the way, @PK21, I should put in a disclaimer: I don't think that Damage Up is required on every weapon. Heck, I don't even use any on my Rapid Blaster Deco set, and so many people have nagged me to do so (I just put Damage Up on the recommendations to keep people like my squad happy K? :S Please don't kill me...they're the scrubs and I know it...). But weapons that 1-shot or 2-shot I think is totally unnessecary for Damage. The only reason I would recommend it for this weapon really is for Sprinkler support (I don't recommend it for normal Hydra, unless its a crutch for inaccuracies for any Splat Bomb users out there), and I tend even not to think about it on Defense Up counters (although I do hate those savescumming Japanese people that stack so much, seriously, they're annoying as ****).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom