• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Custom Range Blaster: Analysis and Thoughts

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
Probably not quite as useful as Special Saver or Special Charge Up, I can't think of any situation where you wouldn't want a ready Kraken.
Or maybe I need to implement more Splat Bombs into my gameplay, I don't really use them often enough.
Well, to utilize Splat Bombs into the playstyle of this weapon more, Bomb Range Up would probably be the more beneficial ability to use, since Splat Bombs are the only means of long range in this weapon. One main and maybe a sub or two ought to do the trick.

Nihabz

Banned (6 points)
custom range blaster is excellent and probably the only blaster currently available that may become competitively viable.

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
I used the standard Range Blaster set and have to say this is a better loadout for pushing and being offencive. Although I miss the splash wall, splat bombs are a highly versatile tool and can not only splat snipers but scare foes away. With enough aim, you can place them in splatting conditions. Kraken is a huge improvement over Inkstrike (Especially in TC and RM) as it keeps you in the game as a handy panic button, or can just help you push the ranked objective. It still shares the same weaknesses of the original: Poor close range game, lackluster turf coverage, and mediocre ink consumption makes it harder to use your sub weapon.

My set is a Damage Up/Ink Regen build similar to what I had for the standard.

:head_first::ability_inkrecovery:main :ability_damage::ability_specialduration::ability_damage: subs
:clothes_tly007::ability_damage:main :ability_inkrecovery::ability_specialcharge::ability_inkrecovery: subs
:shoes_sht004::ability_damage:main :ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery: subs

The rolls are not perfect, but it works well. Damage up is a great way to increase your one shot range. With this much, all of your shots will do enough to 2-shot foes, and you get a large area that splats foes instantly. Areas nearby can splat foes who already taken minor damage from stepping in ink. Ink Recovery allows you to use your Splat Bombs without leaving you vulnerable for long, and works well with the fact squidding resets your shot cooldown. The other two abilities were random, but give a bit of support in using your special.

curry time

Senior Squid
NNID
NobleCactus
custom range blaster is excellent and probably the only blaster currently available that may become competitively viable.
I'm willing to believe it. Luna is quite good at bullying corners, chokes, and of course, the Tower as Cross demonstrated this past weekend (and as any TC rotation will also prove), but its current kit leaves much to be desired. CRB lets you pressure at safe ranges and back off if need be, in most situations. Splat Bombs and Kraken, meanwhile, are flexible in the ranges that the base shot can't cover. I feel the stock Blasters don't let you do that with their ranges; you have to play almost perfectly to stay safe with them, even with the Disruptor and Point Sensor kits (Bubbler aside).

Range Blaster was demonstrated to be viable on certain maps as well, though I feel it's a bit too position and team comp-dependent to be applicable in as many situations as the other Blasters. Still, it's great at suppressing corridors and certain sniper perches, so that's a big plus.

Last edited:

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
Yes, this weapon will be viable, but you could not be more wrong about the other Blasters. Raw power alone does not create viability.
I used the standard Range Blaster set and have to say this is a better loadout for pushing and being offencive. Although I miss the splash wall, splat bombs are a highly versatile tool and can not only splat snipers but scare foes away. With enough aim, you can place them in splatting conditions. Kraken is a huge improvement over Inkstrike (Especially in TC and RM) as it keeps you in the game as a handy panic button, or can just help you push the ranked objective. It still shares the same weaknesses of the original: Poor close range game, lackluster turf coverage, and mediocre ink consumption makes it harder to use your sub weapon.

My set is a Damage Up/Ink Regen build similar to what I had for the standard.

:head_first::ability_inkrecovery:main :ability_damage::ability_specialduration::ability_damage: subs
:clothes_tly007::ability_damage:main :ability_inkrecovery::ability_specialcharge::ability_inkrecovery: subs
:shoes_sht004::ability_damage:main :ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery: subs

The rolls are not perfect, but it works well. Damage up is a great way to increase your one shot range. With this much, all of your shots will do enough to 2-shot foes, and you get a large area that splats foes instantly. Areas nearby can splat foes who already taken minor damage from stepping in ink. Ink Recovery allows you to use your Splat Bombs without leaving you vulnerable for long, and works well with the fact squidding resets your shot cooldown. The other two abilities were random, but give a bit of support in using your special.
Oh my goodness that's an excellent loadout. Personally I would have gone for more aid in the special department, but those are still great options. Highly recommend this loadout here.

curry time

Senior Squid
NNID
NobleCactus
Damage up on Blasters is nice, but is two mains really necessary? I find that more than one is a bit overkill in terms of extending the shot's damage radius, and that you'd probably be better served by just wearing a Cold Blooded shirt with Ink Recovery on it. Then again, maybe Damage Up is even more necessary on the Range Blaster than on the other blasters due to the slightly-smaller AoE, especially since an enemy ducking back into ink for a split second between shots could mean a three-hit kill with the AoE, which is no bueno.

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
Damage up on Blasters is nice, but is two mains really necessary? I find that more than one is a bit overkill in terms of extending the shot's damage radius, and that you'd probably be better served by just wearing a Cold Blooded shirt with Ink Recovery on it. Then again, maybe Damage Up is even more necessary on the Range Blaster than on the other blasters due to the slightly-smaller AoE, especially since an enemy ducking back into ink for a split second between shots could mean a three-hit kill with the AoE, which is no bueno.
It's not really necessary, but I find it helpful. Not too many abilities stood out for the (Custom) Range Blaster, so I just stacked the two because Ink Recovery was good, I already had the shirt, and loads of Damage Up does have some use.

The only weapon you want too much damage up is the Rapid Blaster, as it can greatly reduce kill time.

Edit: Well, damage up is a ton worse now. Only 1 or so is good, (to bring everything to 2 shots) as the outside area can't one shot.

Last edited:

Yellowkirbyguy

Senior Squid
It feels pretty natural to me. Slow fire rate, decent range one hit direct splats, splash damage, a good sub for close range and a versatile kraken to boot. As i play defensively most of the time, i think it really suits me well. I think this might become a keeper for me.

Edit:

Alright! So most of you guys know that Patch 2.2.0 will be nerfing most blasters indirect 1 hit K.O's and on top of that, a nerf to the Kraken as well! Making it so that we need 200p instead of 180 and according the the english translated version of the patch notes, there will be a 0.75 second "cooldown" in which you cannot "attack again after using the Kraken". AND the hurtbox (or the area in which you can hit the kraken) will increase to roughly fit the Kraken's size.

Does any Custom Range blaster users think that this patch will affect this weapon greatly? Or not so much?

My personal opinion is: No, the effects will be minor.

The change to the Indirect hits shouldn't be major unless you always go for those or run lots of Damage up to increase the area of effect in which you can get an indirect 1 hit K.O. (I mean, some are necessary for those annoying three hit K.O's, i'm not sure how much, though)

As for the Kraken, i haven't figured out a way to use it most effectively, but i find that using it against an enemy when you're teammates are in a pickle is good for scattering your opponents, or even earn a few splats while your at it. OR if you yourself wound up in a tight situation you can Kraken and scare them away, or even super jump to a teammate. (The latter, i've only tested with squid beakons on the testing area.) But when it's about to run out, you make sure you're away from the enemy's range, otherwise that supposed "0.75" second cool down will really get you. If you miss your target, most likely with out Special duration ups, you'll need to get out of there quicksmart. So basically, you need to put more thought in how you use the Kraken.

Ah yes, and Special charge up might become a thing if you're looking for some abilities to slap on it if you're really picky about the 20p difference. I mean always having a kraken ready is nice. Especially with a such a slow firing weapon.

I also think the Custom will become even more dominant than the Vanilla Range blaster since the Splash walls are getting a nerf.

Last edited:

dbrandts

Inkster Jr.
NNID
brandts-buys
I'm having a blast with the custom range blaster. (no pun intended) I play defensively and I love the feeling of getting splats in one shot from a distance. The kraken is a great defense tool too.

mercenariez

Inkling Cadet
NNID
gamelo8018
I use this weapon a lot. I watched ThatSRB2Dude play with it and pretty much copied his playstyle. It helped take me up from B to A I'd say.

ReeSquidGig

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
Her / she
NNID
Ree
Switch Friend Code
SW-8348-2484-7793
Sometimes the range blaster doesn't work like my favorite Luna blaster, but the range blaster does reach further than the Luna blaster.... but if you miss, you are exposed to other attacks, but if your aim is on Fleek, unlike mine, you'll knock 'em out with one blow.:)

TheReflexWonder

Inkster Jr.
NNID
TheReflexWonder
One of the weapons that really liked the 2.7 patch. Chargers aren't as scary to approach, and unlike the Rapid Blasters, people have less time to retreat before they're splatted when you show yourself. Ink Saver Sub and Ink Recovery Up buffs help it to maintain spacing with Splat Bombs without having to be helpless afterward as long. Light special depletion helps it maintain Kraken despite being what is probably the worst weapon for inking the ground/gaining special meter. Doesn't absolutely need any specific gear but has the range and well-rounded kit to build in a variety of ways effectively: Defense Up hurts rival Blasters and stacks the deck in your favor against Chargers, sufficient Damage Up makes a far Splat Bomb and the AoE hit splat, ink economy gives it more flexibility in neutral via the sub, Swim Speed benefits Kraken and helps you space people out. It does so much but you have to be on point with your decision-making (smart Splat Bombs are key for safety and finding the right shot). Unfortunately, it can really struggle against Splash Walls, and it's really difficult to mount a comeback when you don't have map control. Reminds me of the Custom Jet Squelcher in that respect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom