• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Do you think other Amiibo will unlock content?

ChimerXD

Inkling
NNID
braxt7
I hope amiibo like Mario will unlock more content. Imagine using the Mario amiibo and unlocking a Super Mario Sunshine stage? Or amiibo could work like they did in Hyrule Warriors, you get a new weapon or number of rupees each day. Or even like Mario Kart 8 where you unlock additional costumes! What do you think of this idea? (Assuming Nintendo hasn't confirmed that other amiibo aren't compatible with Splatoon)

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
i kind of hope it just unlocks cosmetic items, for example
  • mario amiibo -> mario hat and overalls
  • link amiibo -> link hat and tunic
  • fox amiibo -> fox's.... clothes? and his scouter thing
etc. i also wouldn't mind weapon skins for amiibo, either

i dont like the idea of unlocking brand new maps with amiibo since that's basically a map pack but worse since amiibo go out of stock, like.. all the time

ChimerXD

Inkling
NNID
braxt7
Maybe all amiibo maps/costumes could be released as paid downloadable content?

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
then there's not really any benefit nintendo gets from making them amiibo as well

even though some people would like to get them as collectors items or just to put something on their shelves, nintendo would be losing money from the manufacturing and supply costs, theyd just be better off releasing it all as DLC so that they get more revenue

i like the idea of getting more out of amiibo but i dont think releasing DLC on them is the right way to go about it

Diableos

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Diableos
I'm sure they'll do something. Whether it unlocks bonus gear, coins for multiplayer, or weapon skins. I think I'd prefer it if we got weapon skins, or just different variations on the gear. I wouldn't want unlocked weapons and gear to be too powerful, because then it'd be unfair on the players who didn't get some amiibo. As long as any item unlocks are balanced, it's fine by me. If they're Nintendo themed that'd be great,

fox amiibo -> fox's.... clothes? and his scouter thing
I would love to have his scouter/visor thing on my inkling. It could work with so many different outfits.

Gunster25

Pro Squid
Do you think that amiibos could work in a way similar to the Amiibo: Place and Play game or whatever it's called, except it's made so that when you level up, you can use each amiibo once to unlock a random piece of clothing, a weapon camo or something similar?

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I have no idea. I don't think it's likely, though. They made Splatoon amiibo specifically for Splatoon so it probably only supports those, but if you can get outfits from non-Splatoon amiibo then I will be very happy. :)

YesI'mTaco34

Inkling Cadet
NNID
YesImTaco
i kind of hope it just unlocks cosmetic items, for example
  • mario amiibo -> mario hat and overalls
  • link amiibo -> link hat and tunic
  • fox amiibo -> fox's.... clothes? and his scouter thing
etc. i also wouldn't mind weapon skins for amiibo, either

i dont like the idea of unlocking brand new maps with amiibo since that's basically a map pack but worse since amiibo go out of stock, like.. all the time
really hoping for this

i'll love to have a Link Hat and watch it wave in the wind like a Beautiful Bird

Zoot

Inkling Commander
NNID
IveGotAMegaphone
Unlocking special outfits à la Mario Kart 8 is a possibility, but I'm hoping it doesn't happen. A new IP like this needs to show that it can stand on its own two feet ten tentacles and flooding Splatoon with existing Nintendo franchises would undermine that. If other amiibo are compatible with the game, I'd rather they did something small like in Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker.

MrRoidley

Full Squid
I really hope this is the case, because I think that paying $13 for 20 levels and some costumes is too much, especially considering how it is, in a way, glorified day 1, on disc DLC. Plus, you'd have to buy three figures if you wanted all levels.
And considering the overall amiibo availability (I think the Splatoon line will be more common, but you never know), making the content available separately would be good so everyone can play the extra levels even if they can't buy the amiibo.

And about other amiibo, maybe like, each amiibo could unlock one or two missions out of all the missions that the Splatoon line unlock? That's the only thing I can think they could do, aside from unlocking items a la HW.

Last edited by a moderator:

Teddy

Senior Squid
NNID
EggplantAlloy
I'm guessing it will unlock cosmetic stuff, nothing as major as a unique map or weapon. I agree with others that it would be ideal to skip the Nintendo crossover content for the sake of letting this new IP stand on its own, but I doubt Nintendo would be able to resist.

LinkJr

Inkling Cadet
I believe they will add gear based on other franchises with amiibo, they might not do it at launch though, I feel like they want Splatoon to show it's own identity first and then maybe add more "classic" Nintendo to it. They can probably add it on updates along with paid DLC.

Dirty Duck

Inkling Cadet
NNID
TheThirdChild
I would really love to see Nintendo character costumes on the Inkling. An Inkling girl with a Wario moustache would be brilliant.

AEM

The Saltsui no Hadou
Hopefully as a future update?? So much potential! I would love to shoot down my foes wearing a yoga uniform.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
No thanks. The less content locked behind amiibo, the better.

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
Exclusive Amiibo shirts would be neat- like take stuff from the series and incorporate the Splatoon art style for neat graphic T-Shirts with bloopers and octoroks and the different shirt designs the 3 octopi villagers wear in Animal crossing, etc. Even a more fashionable take on Wario's denim jacket would be neat. I'd prefer it if they weren't 100% rips of the character's costumes but a redesigned version to match the aesthetics of Splatoon. Maybe just a few or one per franchise so even if you cant get your hands on that character's amiibo, you might be able to snag another one from the same series.

BoTalksGames

Pro Squid
Content Team
NNID
BjFauble
I'd be really surprised if they didn't add more amiibo support in later. Nintendo is pushing amiibo a LOT so they'd be crazy not to. It would only be costumes, though. Anything else would just be DLC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom