Do you think other Amiibo will unlock content?

Diableos

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Diableos
For what reason? It's a fun idea.
While I don't necessarily mind it myself, I think the reason why some people wouldn't want it is because the gear/items become locked off behind a paywall. The items could be really appealing to some people, but they might not want/be able to buy the amiibo to get those items. Maybe they just don't like the idea of gear that's locked off because they feel it's unfair to lock it off from people that have already paid the full price for the game.

Terabyte

Inkling Commander
NNID
PokeBoy99
I really hope that other Amiibo will add content! With all these clothes ingame I can't imagine that they wouldn't add other Amiibo content. Man, nothing would make me happier than being able to wear a King Dedede outfit... Of course, I might need a King Dedede Amiibo first.

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
While I don't necessarily mind it myself, I think the reason why some people wouldn't want it is because the gear/items become locked off behind a paywall. The items could be really appealing to some people, but they might not want/be able to buy the amiibo to get those items. Maybe they just don't like the idea of gear that's locked off because they feel it's unfair to lock it off from people that have already paid the full price for the game.
But at the same time that screws over people who bought the Amiibo (maybe for this game or another) hoping it'd be worth the price. I mean Amiibos work on so many different games that someone might just want an Amiibo just because they own several Amiibo-supporting games. There are some I really like but so far none of their in game rewards seem that exciting. It's like Nintendo doesn't want to anger those without Amiibo and at the same time want to try and please Amiibo owners, which is nice, but they can't simultaneously please both sides.

ChainALM

Senior Squid
NNID
ChainALM
I would love for a Mario series amiibo to unlock FLUDD as a weapon, but other than that, I want Splatoon to stand on it's own and not need existing Nintendo IP to bolster it.

Diableos

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Diableos
But at the same time that screws over people who bought the Amiibo (maybe for this game or another) hoping it'd be worth the price. I mean Amiibos work on so many different games that someone might just want an Amiibo just because they own several Amiibo-supporting games. There are some I really like but so far none of their in game rewards seem that exciting. It's like Nintendo doesn't want to anger those without Amiibo and at the same time want to try and please Amiibo owners, which is nice, but they can't simultaneously please both sides.
I do agree. I wasn't interested in amiibo at first, but I got bitten by the bug and now I like collecting them because I like them, not because of their uses. Of course, being able to use them for something is nice. I think Splatoon is one of those games where if only the Splatoon amiibo are compatible, I can understand. But as you say, it's difficult to please people who own amiibo as well as those that don't. If they are compatible, it needs to be something simple. That way, people without any, or many, amiibo won't mind, but it's still something that amiibo owners enjoy. Obviously some people on both sides would still be unhappy but I don't really think Nintendo can win in this situation anymore. Smash was probably the best use of it because you don't unlock anything at all by owning one, and you're not missing any content by not owning one. I think of it as an extra CPU you can train up, then use to train against or take to a friend's house.

Unessential

Full Squid
If the manual is to be believed it lists the compatible amiibo as the 3 splaton ones...

But i guess everything is subject to change. I wouldn' mind only cosmetic bonuses and easter eggs just for being loyal with amiibo (which i'm not...) but it would be cool.

Astral

Astral Finish!
NNID
AstralFinish
It would be a smart move on Nintendo's part to have amiibo add more content to Splatoon. The things print money for them, this would just giev another reason for someone to want to own an amiibo

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
I do agree. I wasn't interested in amiibo at first, but I got bitten by the bug and now I like collecting them because I like them, not because of their uses. Of course, being able to use them for something is nice. I think Splatoon is one of those games where if only the Splatoon amiibo are compatible, I can understand. But as you say, it's difficult to please people who own amiibo as well as those that don't. If they are compatible, it needs to be something simple. That way, people without any, or many, amiibo won't mind, but it's still something that amiibo owners enjoy. Obviously some people on both sides would still be unhappy but I don't really think Nintendo can win in this situation anymore. Smash was probably the best use of it because you don't unlock anything at all by owning one, and you're not missing any content by not owning one. I think of it as an extra CPU you can train up, then use to train against or take to a friend's house.
At the very least if they make an amiibo hub game where each amiibo unlocks a large amount of content it would be okay because consumers know from the beginning what it will be like. I hope they will be releasing Amiibo card packs following this E3 and I hope there are some holographic ones. Even something as simple as a lanyard with those collectible pins (Like the disneyland ones that people trade) with NFC chips inside would be something I would be more interested in because they are smaller, possibly cheaper, but still have a use outside of their NFC uses unlike the cards.

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
It would be a smart move on Nintendo's part to have amiibo add more content to Splatoon. The things print money for them, this would just giev another reason for someone to want to own an amiibo
I agree with your point but it also would be smart if they made more of them as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom