Dynamo Roller: Analysis and Thoughts Thread

Grafkarpador

Inkling Cadet
NNID
grafkarpador
wait is there something wrong with being biased?
apparently there is, I sure as hell was being accused of being too opinionated and I explained that bias lies in the nature of the beast. Anyway, more specifically I adressed issues like not giving the Sprinkler a proper assessment
and made sure to provide all the options there are equally for both weapon sets. Also rewrote a bunch of other stuff. Oh, and I didn't include it yet, but I found a new tech that may or may not be useful!

bluecrow

Senior Squid
holy smokes, this thing is a monster in tower control
it's kinda gross, too bad I hate the mode so far

Woznito

Inkling
NNID
Woznito
As someone who thinks the Dynamo Roller is really in need of a nerf I have to ask... how do I combat it? I don't want to be forced to use a fully charged long range ink blaster to kill the user... If I go up close: Dead. Shoot from mid-distance: Dead. I just find the Dynamo Rollers to be broken... I don't see why the melee weapons have a higher range than most paint SHOOTING weapons... how can I combat it?

bluecrow

Senior Squid
As someone who thinks the Dynamo Roller is really in need of a nerf I have to ask... how do I combat it? I don't want to be forced to use a fully charged long range ink blaster to kill the user... If I go up close: Dead. Shoot from mid-distance: Dead. I just find the Dynamo Rollers to be broken... I don't see why the melee weapons have a higher range than most paint SHOOTING weapons... how can I combat it?
cause it's not a melee weapon (it's mid range), anyways some tips
  • If you can get in close (behind it, jump from above, just don't straight approach) it will die before it can swing. absolutely any weapon can do this, except chargers
  • Each swing is about a second to do and there is no canceling it, so placing a splat bomb where they're swinging is a useful tool
  • no really it is super immobile while trying to swing
  • any gun with a close or higher range can shoot at it with little commitment. At the duel squelcher's max range is max range for the dynamo.
  • the roller follows the standard damage curve the other rollers do (125 close, 25 max range) although the damage fall off is only noticeable near the edge
  • it uses massive amounts of ink to swing (there is precisely 6 swings in it with out refilling and with a full tank), so putting a lot of pressure on a dynamo player's turf can result in you forcing them back
now what is really scary is a charger behind a dynamo
I had a match with 2 dynamos and 2 chargers, it was magical... for my team

ThEvilHasLanded

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ThEvilHasLanded
Lets talk about the roller hitbox when its on the ground

There isnt one It's a vertical wall you cant jump over a roller (have tried it over and over to confirm it isnt me/lag)
That in of itself is enough for me to want to slap someone at nintendo

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler

There isnt one It's a vertical wall you cant jump over a roller (have tried it over and over to confirm it isnt me/lag)
Considering how slow it is when rolling running away is pretty much 5x easier anyway. Nothing to get worked up about, especially
since dynamos rarely roll in the first place.

bluecrow

Senior Squid

ya that's kinda bs on any roller.
rollers are filled with unreliable mechanics though. One of my favorites is the randomness of where the ink goes in each swing.
Because ya know who doesn't love it when RNJesus decides to save the guy playing like an idiot

Grafkarpador

Inkling Cadet
NNID
grafkarpador
ya that's kinda bs on any roller.
rollers are filled with unreliable mechanics though. One of my favorites is the randomness of where the ink goes in each swing.
Because ya know who doesn't love it when RNJesus decides to save the guy playing like an idiot
I swear to god like 25% of the people I play against and directly flick at are legit Moses

Grafkarpador

Inkling Cadet
NNID
grafkarpador
hey people! I just actually took a stop watch and measured the metrics of the dynamo flick. it's not frame perfect recorded measurement, but I did my best to measure multiple times and make it as accurate as possible. The entirety of the flick is as said 1 second long. the wind up phase of the flick is 0.75 seconds, while the swing phase with adjacent recovery phase is 0.25 seconds. the spray occurs exactly at the transition between wind up and swing, so the damaging portion takes 750 ms to occur after the initiation.

Anyone got any idea for things that could possibly cancel the recovery animation?

ThEvilHasLanded

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ThEvilHasLanded
I also noticed today that I can get hit with the roller when i am to the side of it and not within the roller path

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
I also noticed today that I can get hit with the roller when i am to the side of it and not within the roller path
That's just lag for ya. I've noticed it with inkzooka blasts too.

Ever play a multiplayer FPS and die even when you CLEARLY got a wall between you and your attacker before you did?

bluecrow

Senior Squid
I swear to god like 25% of the people I play against and directly flick at are legit Moses
haha, life is rough for the dynamo sometimes (carbon roller suffers a little from this too), but hey tower control is legit easy wins for the dynamo
hey people! I just actually took a stop watch and measured the metrics of the dynamo flick. it's not frame perfect recorded measurement, but I did my best to measure multiple times and make it as accurate as possible. The entirety of the flick is as said 1 second long. the wind up phase of the flick is 0.75 seconds, while the swing phase with adjacent recovery phase is 0.25 seconds. the spray occurs exactly at the transition between wind up and swing, so the damaging portion takes 750 ms to occur after the initiation.

Anyone got any idea for things that could possibly cancel the recovery animation?
maybe specials or a subweapon, not a whole lot of mechanics to work with, but if you could cancel that ending animation, that would be so gross

also try to avoid double posting, I don't wanna call the mods popo

Grafkarpador

Inkling Cadet
NNID
grafkarpador
haha, life is rough for the dynamo sometimes (carbon roller suffers a little from this too), but hey tower control is legit easy wins for the dynamo
my favorite part is standing on the tower and spraying everywhere and killing enemies all over the place. transforms the tower into a tank

D

Deleted Member

I can't decide between Cold-Blooded or Ninja Squid for the [Gold] Dynamo Roller.

bluecrow

Senior Squid
my favorite part is standing on the tower and spraying everywhere and killing enemies all over the place. transforms the tower into a tank
I like swinging at the tower when it's trying to get into my base, it's kinda like this

even though I don't like the mode, dynamo is ridiculous there

Grafkarpador

Inkling Cadet
NNID
grafkarpador
I can't decide between Cold-Blooded or Ninja Squid for the [Gold] Dynamo Roller.
honestly, I personally find ninja squid not that necessary on dynamo. you mostly try to stay at distance anyway, so sneaking on opponents is a non-issue. besides, when you emerge the opponent has enough time to react, making the surprise moot unless you come from behind. gives good opening for confusion tactics in acute combat situations. generally though, not having to worry about echolocators is just soo good because they're so common. that's just personal conjecture though

D

Deleted Member

I'm also wondering if the Dyamo Roller is better for killing and ink coverage. Since Echolocator instantly refills your ink guage, you can keep raining ink down which probably nets more points than an Inkstrike in the same period of time.

bluecrow

Senior Squid
I'm also wondering if the Dyamo Roller is better for killing and ink coverage. Since Echolocator instantly refills your ink guage, you can keep raining ink down which probably nets more points than an Inkstrike in the same period of time.
in turf wars it probably best at covering out of all the rollers (specially the standard dynamo), but it doesn't get to middle of the map till later in the match unlike the other rollers, so it doesn't contest for turf as quickly as the others. It also counters the best turf covering weapon (aka aerospray)

I wouldn't truly know if it covers the best unless I could mash worth anything on the paintbrush.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom