Game Lingo Thread

WydrA

Inkling Commander
what is the point of this, don't you want the lingo to evolve naturally, as a whole i feel like this community should stop trying to apply smash logic to splatoon. if we don't stop the game will never develop
the lingo should evolve naturally, and I too don't see the point of this thread. however your smash logic thing doesn't really make sense. All of smash's lingo evolved naturally. They never had a thread or discussion like this.

EpicB13

Inkster Jr.
NNID
EpicB13
I honestly think this is a bit forced. Is it really "competitive discussion" anyways?

doop

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Elias56
this thread is the definition of trying to hard

cool6012

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Cool6012
  • In splatzones, the barrier that prevents you from bringing your timer down once you've lost and regained control.
I just call it penalty. I'm pretty sure the game also calls it penalty at some point but i'm not too sure so take that with a grain of salt.

RadioactiveMoth

Squidibli
NNID
RadioactiveMoth
Do we really have to have special terms for most of these? It's not hard to write inkstrike, so why call it something else? Unless it's got no official term or it's rather long, I think we shouldn't give it a name. It makes the community more open that way.

cool6012

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Cool6012
Do we really have to have special terms for most of these? It's not hard to write inkstrike, so why call it something else? Unless it's got no official term or it's rather long, I think we shouldn't give it a name. It makes the community more open that way.

Exactly what i'm thinking. It also makes competitive Splatoon that much more approachable. Smash can be scary for newcomers with terms like Smash D.I. , B-revere, l-canceling, Wave-Dashing etc. The difference between that and Splatoon is that in Smash these are all adv. techniques never mentioned in-game with some not even being intentional but in Splatoon most of these things already have names and simple short ones at that. Until find some crazy adv. tech like L-Cancelling for Splatoon etc. we don't need to name anything really.

RadioactiveMoth

Squidibli
NNID
RadioactiveMoth
Exactly what i'm thinking. It also makes competitive Splatoon that much more approachable. Smash can be scary for newcomers with terms like Smash D.I. , B-revere, l-canceling, Wave-Dashing etc. The difference between that and Splatoon is that in Smash these are all adv. techniques never mentioned in-game with some not even being intentional but in Splatoon most of these things already have names and simple short ones at that. Until find some crazy adv. tech like L-Cancelling for Splatoon etc. we don't need to name anything really.
Right. Only a few of the things on the list the OP made don't have names. No need to make new ones when they already have in-game ones. Best to make the metagame more accessible. Not to mention it's easier to document.

Can't wait to wavedash in Splatoon, though.

I also refer to it as "penalty".
It's called a "penalty" in the rules you can see when selecting a mode. I like to think "CHANCE TIME" when it happens though, sense it's my chance to make up time. Also, someone else called it "chance time". I think it's a fun name.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
Can we please start calling the Tower Control tower an Ice Cream Truck?

BeanYak

Full Squid
NNID
Catman789
I want to see other words for parts of the game not because of the forum, but because of competitive play and discussion. The fewer syllables that you use when you speak, the easier and faster it is to communicate in game. For example, in CS:GO, "I headshot that guy and now he has really low health" becomes "I dinked that guy", or "I killed every guy on their team" becomes "I aced them", and the discussion feels more immersive and fun. In Splatoon, "drop an inkstrike on the tower" could just become "nuke the tower".

To be honest, I don't agree that it's detrimental to the community to make the talk sound more universal because people catch onto things quickly, and some of the things to be discussed need some knowledge of the game anyway, so the higher hurdle to hop is the one of game knowledge.

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
I don't see the downsides of coming up with nicknames for things. Communication would certainly be much better in an overall fastpaced game. I think your kind of jumping the gun though. I think players will naturally create faster ways of speaking as time progresses but hey we have to start somewhere. I will say though that the terms of "good" and "bad" for ally and enemy sides is a neat idea that is simple enough to get your head around.

RadioactiveMoth

Squidibli
NNID
RadioactiveMoth
To be honest, I don't agree that it's detrimental to the community to make the talk sound more universal because people catch onto things quickly, and some of the things to be discussed need some knowledge of the game anyway, so the higher hurdle to hop is the one of game knowledge.
I don't see the downsides of coming up with nicknames for things. Communication would certainly be much better in an overall fastpaced game..
Come up with nicknames is fine, but I think it should only be done if you need it. Nicknaming something just because you can makes things needlessly complicated, and it makes the metagame look less inviting to people who are new to the general idea of a metagame for video games. I think Splatoon has a great appeal that lets it have potential to be competitive AND casual, just like Smash Bros. If we come up with quicker, logical names for things, great, but if we don't need one, we shouldn't make one.

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
Come up with nicknames is fine, but I think it should only be done if you need it. Nicknaming something just because you can makes things needlessly complicated, and it makes the metagame look less inviting to people who are new to the general idea of a metagame for video games. I think Splatoon has a great appeal that lets it have potential to be competitive AND casual, just like Smash Bros. If we come up with quicker, logical names for things, great, but if we don't need one, we shouldn't make one.
Oh I agree that we should keep things simple but I think your being a little too closed off to nicknames. When I started watching Smash competitively I had no idea what some of the terms were that they used. DI? Teching? Nope. That's just the surface too. It was less inviting because of it. Pretty much every competitive game has difficult terminology and nicknames. But nicknames don't affect the casual players much. They will still play whether they are in or not.

However, I think it should be up to the individual teams to decide what they say during matches. The community as a whole will probably come up with nicknames fore basic things which is good. If players want to be more efficient they should go to their team for the more specific terms. That is the way I believe the community should go because it doesn't mean new players are completely overcome by the nicknames and it gives teams freedom.

WydrA

Inkling Commander
Oh I agree that we should keep things simple but I think your being a little too closed off to nicknames. When I started watching Smash competitively I had no idea what some of the terms were that they used. DI? Teching? Nope. That's just the surface too. It was less inviting because of it. Pretty much every competitive game has difficult terminology and nicknames. But nicknames don't affect the casual players much. They will still play whether they are in or not.

However, I think it should be up to the individual teams to decide what they say during matches. The community as a whole will probably come up with nicknames fore basic things which is good. If players want to be more efficient they should go to their team for the more specific terms. That is the way I believe the community should go because it doesn't mean new players are completely overcome by the nicknames and it gives teams freedom.
My main problem with this is not the fact things are being nicknamed, that's part of any competitive community, but a stated before, the fact that in this thread people are just ding it because as far as i can tell they want to be able to say the were a part of naming something for the community. Either that or they feel some strange need to talk like characters out Top Gun. As has been stated several times before, things will naturally be named in time. this is the best way for things to happen because 1. we don't look like desperate try-hards 2. people naturally nickname the things that actually need to be nicknamed. As moth said, we don't want to over complicate things. Yes ,shortened names can be helpful, but we don't want everything to have a nickname. Then we'e just speaking another language, and looking like idiots doing so. Like those terrible adverts that try to stuff as many meme's and abbreviations as possible into sentences to "connect with the kids *shudder*

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
Well yeah things will be nicknamed as time goes on. And yes this thread is over the top with it pretty much trying to force new terms on us when we still are experimenting with the game but hey I appreciate what it is trying to do even if it is jumping the gun.

BTW, your analogy with the advertisments made me laugh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom