H-3 Nozzlenose D: Analysis and Thoughts

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow
As far as I recall, Pro is pretty bad at inking. H-3 isn't great either but at least they have a decent splash. And the burst fire certainly helps conserve ink better.
Honestly they both seem equally effective, H-3 just has a higher learning curve.
From my experience, the Splattershot family is basically differentiated by accuracy and inking capability.

Jr. inks the best but has the most spread variance, Splattershot is in the middle and Pro is highly accurate but inks like crap.

H-3's learning curve comes from learning the firing rhythm and devising strategies on every map vs every weapon IMO, it's really a weapon for those of us who like to challenge ourselves :)

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
So I tried this weapon again this morning to try and learn it more and get some wins with it (and I did), and I started to consider some suggestions for optimal gear abilities for this weapon. I came up with:

Stackable:

Bomb Range Up
Special Charge Up
Special Saver
Damage Up
Special Duration Up
Quick Respawn

Main-Exclusive:

Opening Gambit
Ninja Squid
Stealth Jump
Tenacity

seakingtheonixpected

Inkling Cadet
NNID
kathrynmc92
Do you think the H-3 Nozzlenose has any benefits over the Splattershot Pro?

:wst_shot_expert01: :pointsensor: :inkzooka:
Has the same sub and special as
:wst_shot_triplemiddle01: :pointsensor: :inkzooka:

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
Do you think the H-3 Nozzlenose has any benefits over the Splattershot Pro?

:wst_shot_expert01: :pointsensor: :inkzooka:
Has the same sub and special as
:wst_shot_triplemiddle01: :pointsensor: :inkzooka:
The H3NND has more range than the FSSP, as well as slightly better ink consuption. I believe their time-to-kill is about the same; any difference is negligable. I also think that the H3NND is slightly more accurate, as the cost of being a burst-fire weapon. Which weapon you choose, assuming you enjoy this sub/special weapon loadout, is completely based on whether you prefer an offensive take or a defensive take. The H3NND is also much harder to learn, given the mechanics of the main weapon, but can possibly be even more beneficial when used correctly.

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow
The H3NND has more range than the FSSP, as well as slightly better ink consuption. I believe their time-to-kill is about the same; any difference is negligable. I also think that the H3NND is slightly more accurate, as the cost of being a burst-fire weapon. Which weapon you choose, assuming you enjoy this sub/special weapon loadout, is completely based on whether you prefer an offensive take or a defensive take. The H3NND is also much harder to learn, given the mechanics of the main weapon, but can possibly be even more beneficial when used correctly.
Don't mind me for adding on:
  1. H-3's turfing ability is far superior to the Splattershot Pro; on wide open areas you can easily cover more surface with less shots compared to the Pro.
  2. At point blank or really close ranges, H-3's TTK ought to be lower than the Pro as well (I could go measure in the lab if needed)
  3. If dealing with highly mobile enemies, the Pro will outclass the H-3; the big gap in between shots for the H-3 means the opponent has usually moved quite a distance before you can fire your next salvo.
Will add on if I can think of anything else.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Actually the H-3 Nozzelnose has the same range as the Splattershot Pro (after the buff), but splats a lot faster. For comparison, the Splattershot Pro shoots at the speed of a Jet Squelcher but splats in 3 shots. The H-3 Nozzlenose shoots at the speed of a Jr. and splats in 3 shots as well (same as the Sploosh-o-matic, which is considered one of the fastest splatting weapons in the game). Also, the Nozzlenoses have near-perfect accuracy, so if your aim is spot-on it can literally erase the enemy before they try to fight back. The downside of the H-3 is that if you miss constantly your time to splat will skyrocket :confused:

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
Actually the H-3 Nozzelnose has the same range as the Splattershot Pro (after the buff), but splats a lot faster. For comparison, the Splattershot Pro shoots at the speed of a Jet Squelcher but splats in 3 shots. The H-3 Nozzlenose shoots at the speed of a Jr. and splats in 3 shots as well (same as the Sploosh-o-matic, which is considered one of the fastest splatting weapons in the game). Also, the Nozzlenoses have near-perfect accuracy, so if your aim is spot-on it can literally erase the enemy before they try to fight back. The downside of the H-3 is that if you miss constantly your time to splat will skyrocket :confused:
Ah okay. I always think it has more for some reason but I guess I was wrong. Wait, doesn't that mean that the 96G outranges it?

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Ah okay. I always think it has more for some reason but I guess I was wrong. Wait, doesn't that mean that the 96G outranges it?
The .96 Gal, Splattershot Pro, post-buff H-3 Nozzlenose and Dual Squelcher share the same range. The only shooter that goes farther is the Jet Squelcher o_O

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
Disclaimer: This post isn't strictly about the H-3D and will bring in talk about some other weapons for comparison.

I haven't really played very much with the H-3D variation but I did sink quite a lot of time into H-3 (379378p inked as of now) although my L-3 sits at the top with 989870p currently. Point being, I've spent most of my Splatoon time in the past 2-3 months playing some form of Nozzlenose. It's not a testament to my skill (I think I'm above average at best) but to prove that I have actually spent a lot of time using them.

With that out of the way, I want to say that IMO the H-3 is a poor performer in ranked with randoms; I assume it can be excellent with a coordinated team thanks to the Echolocator. In stubbornly trying to make it work in ranked, I've went down from S all the way to A. Switching to the L-3D and playing in the right maps brought me back to S in about the same time it took me to drop to A.

I did manage to find quite a lot of success with the H-3 in Turf Wars on a variety of maps. My basic strategy is to ink paths (two well placed shots basically gives u a long path to swim in) and use them to swim around quickly, so I highly recommend at least one Swim Up main ability. It also works well to cut off enemy movement because of the thick path it inks. Eg. Try cutting off enemy movement in the central area on Moray Towers, it works well there IMO. Suction bombs also help a lot in forcing enemies to move in or out of areas or forcing snipers off their perch.

So...what does all that have to do with the H-3D?

Based on theory-splatting, the H-3D is fantastic if you can reliably get 2-3 Inkzookas per match, this would ideally allow you to pick off or harass enemies from far and thus would be great in ranked mode, especially TC and RM where enemy positions are a lot more predictable than usual.

The sticking point for me is the point-sensor because whilst it does good work at locating enemies, it assumes you can take them out when you do. This is where the main weakness (IMO) of the Nozzlenose family comes into play: it fires 3 pellets per shot and there's a high tendency that you will land 1-2 pellets per salvo. I usually experience this when the enemy is staying hidden in the ink or is strafing or just basically moving really quickly in some zigzag fashion.

That usually requires me to back off with the H-3 in a firefight and that's not really a plus point when compared to some of the other shooters. I mean, there have been firefights where I fire off 3 salvos and each time only one pellet touches the enemy. The L-3s don't suffer so hard in this area since the gap between each trigger you pull is a lot shorter than the H-3s.

Also, for people who think the H-3's range is amazing, do take note that you do lesser damage if you land all 3 pellets at maximum range. If anything I think the Bamboozler is now much better than the H-3 (it outranges it by a lot and two slightly-charged shots landed is a guaranteed kill). The H-3 is mainly superior at inking turf and creating straight paths quickly.

I'd love to write more about the Nozzlenose family but I'd rather do that as future replies :)
But I just said the great thing about point sensors is that even if you are unable to splat the target for whatever reason, your whole team gains intel on their position so that they can help finish him/her off or just provide a heads-up.

Stealth abilities are helpful as they help you bide time looking for the ideal opportunity for that perfect shot. Inklings are less likely to move erratically if they feel safe or are busy inking.

Smoothshake317

Pro Squid
I am just going to leave this here:

So guys, I was testing out the new H-3 D and I have to say, IT IS AMAZING! it is a 100% improvement over the standard version. Thanks to point sensors, this weapon can mark opponents on demand whenever it desires, essentially giving it the echo whenever it wants. Echolocator was the one redeeming thing about the old Nozzlenose as it allowed you to play the weapon like a precision blaster. It gave you the sight that one so desperately wants with the weapon. Blasters successfully take down their targets by predicting their movements and leading their shot towards their position. While I was playing with the weapon in ranked, I found myself leading the bullets to the location to where they would be. Put some swim speeds on this weapon and you will be hunting people like a shark. In fact, the weapon itself loses its inability to handle confrontations thanks to this one sub weapon. In ranked I was able to go 16/4 by fighting on the front lines. Once I hit'm with a point sensor I was able to properly space myself and align my cross-hairs on them and end them in 2 bursts. Once the opposition was dead, I either guarded the territory or claimed more for the motherland. In essence, at the end of the day I find this weapon to be a MID category weapon.

Last edited:

Smoothshake317

Pro Squid
I find something similar here to the people early on who thought the blaster was about one-shots. Let me tell you something: The main point about this weapon is not the one shot burst, but the ability to maintain a steady rhythm of fire on your opponents. Believe it or not, most of my kills with his thing were not one shot kills but 2 shot splats. This weapon relies only on your ability to stay accurate in high pressure situations, maintain the distance between you and your opponent, and predict and their movement patterns by leading your shots to their next location. Essentially, they run into your bullets. Personally, I was able to use this weapon well due to my blaster experience. All of the skills required to use this weapon are very similar to that of blasters. The one shot burst is merely the cherry on top of the ice cream that is this weapon. The weapon at its heart and soul is the same as L-3 Nozzlenose. It was never designed with the one shot in mind. All you have to do is play it like a longer ranged, slower firing L-3. Heck, get in the enemies face if you need to maximize your accuracy if you need to. I do it all the time.

Last edited:

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
Indeed even landing just one or two shots in a burst causes serious damage, and if they're point sensed it makes it all the more simple for your teammates or you to finish them off. Some will use damage up to maximize this team benefit.

Still, when you really need to neutralize an opponent quickly, I find Ninja Squid gives the cover I need to land a perfect shot.

JFL

Senior Squid
NNID
AldricJFL
l disagree about the H-3 being bad at covering turf. It's actually very good, the best of its heavy long range category of shooters IMO. I often place first in turf war when l use it.

Making it work in ranked is an entirely different story though. l'm just not skilled enough.

Reset Bomb Jigglypuff

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Yayforall
I find something similar here to the people early on who thought the blaster was about one-shots. Let me tell you something: The main point about this weapon is not the one shot burst, but the ability to maintain a steady rhythm of fire on your opponents. Believe it or not, most of my kills with his thing were not one shot kills but 2 shot splats. This weapon relies only on your ability to stay accurate in high pressure situations, maintain the distance between you and your opponent, and predict and their movement patterns by leading your shots to their next location. Essentially, they run into your bullets. Personally, I was able to use this weapon well due to my blaster experience. All of the skills required to use this weapon are very similar to that of blasters. The one shot burst is merely the cherry on top of the ice cream that is this weapon. The weapon at its heart and soul is the same as L-3 Nozzlenose. It was never designed with the one shot in mind. All you have to do is play it like a longer ranged, slower firing L-3. Heck, get in the enemies face if you need to maximize your accuracy if you need to. I do it all the time. [/QUOTE

Please don't use yellow text, my eyes are watering

1o2

Inkling Cadet
Please explain how this weapon loses to strafing.
I move, you miss one burst and I kill you, it's really that simple. With the time it takes you to fire another burst, there is plenty of time for the other weapon to kill you, especially since they even had time to shoot at you while you were shooting the first burst. While you can move and try to avoid my bullets, mine are constantly being fired in your direction to follow the strafe. With burst firing it makes it significantly harder to keep up with a strafe because you don't actively see your bullets following the opponent. Although ATM this is somewhat irrelevant due to lag.

I am not saying this weapon is utterly useless, but simply outclassed. At the very least Mini Splatling has an advantage over Tentatek because it shoots faster than after the charge up, and has a very slight range increase. If someone wants to go out and use the weapon, good for them. It's not like it's an overall bad weapon, it's definitely viable unlike my friend the inkbrush.

Reset Bomb Jigglypuff

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Yayforall
I move, you miss one burst and I kill you, it's really that simple. With the time it takes you to fire another burst, there is plenty of time for the other weapon to kill you, especially since they even had time to shoot at you while you were shooting the first burst. While you can move and try to avoid my bullets, mine are constantly being fired in your direction to follow the strafe. With burst firing it makes it significantly harder to keep up with a strafe because you don't actively see your bullets following the opponent. Although ATM this is somewhat irrelevant due to lag.

I am not saying this weapon is utterly useless, but simply outclassed. At the very least Mini Splatling has an advantage over Tentatek because it shoots faster than after the charge up, and has a very slight range increase. If someone wants to go out and use the weapon, good for them. It's not like it's an overall bad weapon, it's definitely viable unlike my friend the inkbrush.
You're acting like I have a second of end lag. It's closer to 35-37 frames or so, I can still swim back outside your range, and use my superior range (likely) and much higher TTK to finish you off. Besides, if I'm using this weapon I probably have practiced to the point of not missing very often. If the first two hits connect, the third usually follows. If I miss all three, I probably shouldn't be using the weapon. Besides, this weapon is ambush- heavy anyway.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
You're acting like I have a second of end lag. It's closer to 35-37 frames or so, I can still swim back outside your range, and use my superior range (likely) and much higher TTK to finish you off. Besides, if I'm using this weapon I probably have practiced to the point of not missing very often. If the first two hits connect, the third usually follows. If I miss all three, I probably shouldn't be using the weapon. Besides, this weapon is ambush- heavy anyway.
The point is it's better to have no lag than some, and better to have a constant stream of fire than 3 shots at a time. As soon as you miss just one shot in the first burst, the gun immediately becomes inferior to literally every other gun, hence it's pretty much always inferior to other guns because getting consecutive shots on an enemy aware of your presence isn't too likely with any gun, let alone one with burst fire. The reason the L3 is still great despite the burst mechanic is because it's high fire rate is more forgiving of missed shots, and it's mobility makes itself harder to land consecutive shots on aswell, but further still it's kits also lessen the burst fire drawbacks. Disruptors keep opponent's from avoiding your shots, and Bursts Bombs give you an offensive option that's easy to land hits with and can simply outrange most weapons (with :ability_bombrange:) to avoid strafe duels all together or atleast soften them up as any damage whatsoever can allow the L3 to splat them faster than anything in the game. H3's kits certainly don't circumvent it's even harsher burst fire nearly as much.

Reset Bomb Jigglypuff

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Yayforall
The point is it's better to have no lag than some, and better to have a constant stream of fire than 3 shots at a time. As soon as you miss just one shot in the first burst, the gun immediately becomes inferior to literally every other gun, hence it's pretty much always inferior to other guns because getting consecutive shots on an enemy aware of your presence isn't too likely with any gun, let alone one with burst fire. The reason the L3 is still great despite the burst mechanic is because it's high fire rate is more forgiving of missed shots, and it's mobility makes itself harder to land consecutive shots on aswell, but further still it's kits also lessen the burst fire drawbacks. Disruptors keep opponent's from avoiding your shots, and Bursts Bombs give you an offensive option that's easy to land hits with and can simply outrange most weapons (with :ability_bombrange:) to avoid strafe duels all together or atleast soften them up as any damage whatsoever can allow the L3 to splat them faster than anything in the game. H3's kits certainly don't circumvent it's even harsher burst fire nearly as much.
And my point is that you should avoid stafe duels as much as possible, killing most opponents as you see them within your range. The only weapon that out ranges you is the jet squelcher.

Dolphoshi

Pro Squid

All about strengths this weapon from what i have read is an assassin weapon you can't stop them if they don't know your there once the shot is lined up with these weapons it's over ( main chargers very similar you need to be accurate) your going to be hiding if you are discovered you are most likey going to get splatted yes but if you try to play the range game with a charger and you die (because you will) the weapon isn't useless it's because it wasn't playing to it's strengths ( as to what those are I have no idea) And we do need more inkbrush love

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom