H-3 Nozzlenose D: Analysis and Thoughts

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
The point is it's better to have no lag than some, and better to have a constant stream of fire than 3 shots at a time. As soon as you miss just one shot in the first burst, the gun immediately becomes inferior to literally every other gun, hence it's pretty much always inferior to other guns because getting consecutive shots on an enemy aware of your presence isn't too likely with any gun, let alone one with burst fire. The reason the L3 is still great despite the burst mechanic is because it's high fire rate is more forgiving of missed shots, and it's mobility makes itself harder to land consecutive shots on aswell, but further still it's kits also lessen the burst fire drawbacks. Disruptors keep opponent's from avoiding your shots, and Bursts Bombs give you an offensive option that's easy to land hits with and can simply outrange most weapons (with :ability_bombrange:) to avoid strafe duels all together or atleast soften them up as any damage whatsoever can allow the L3 to splat them faster than anything in the game. H3's kits certainly don't circumvent it's even harsher burst fire nearly as much.
The thing about the delay is that they have to give it a drawback to compensate for the insane potential power this thing has, otherwise it becomes an unstoppable splatting machine (people already complain about the .96 Gal; imagine one that shot faster, had perfect accuracy and only required an extra shot to splat). It's kind of the same deal with the Sploosh-o-matic, where it has such a strong point that they have to tone down other things significantly to keep it from overwhelming everything else.

Now the sub and special I'll guess are to complement the "sharpshooter" role rather than make it a jack-of-all-trades, where you toss a Point Sensor to find the enemy and take them out with either your main weapon or the Inkzooka before they can react. The L-3 Nozzelnose, on the other hand, was made to be the jack-of-all-trades, which is why it has intermediate damage output, range, and a kit that doesn't specialize in anything specific but is decent in most situations (with the standard one being more about utility and the D more about combat)

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
All about strengths this weapon from what i have read is an assassin weapon you can't stop them if they don't know your there once the shot is lined up with these weapons it's over ( main chargers very similar you need to be accurate) your going to be hiding if you are discovered you are most likey going to get splatted yes but if you try to play the range game with a charger and you die (because you will) the weapon isn't useless it's because it wasn't playing to it's strengths ( as to what those are I have no idea) And we do need more inkbrush love
This weapon is an actively defensive weapon, not an assassin. The normal H3NN is an assassin.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
And my point is that you should avoid stafe duels as much as possible, killing most opponents as you see them within your range. The only weapon that out ranges you is the jet squelcher.
Okay, so you acknowledge that this weapon is just a worse Forge Pro then since that weapon doesn't have to avoid strafe duels as it excels in them. And no, all Chargers, the Heavy Splatling, and Rapid Blaster outrange it, and there are weapons with equal range.

JFL

Senior Squid
NNID
AldricJFL
l was watching Dude's stream earlier and he was struggling with it. He made it work, but you could feel he'd have gotten a far higher kill count with a Pro or a .96. Which says everything about the weapon really.

Reset Bomb Jigglypuff

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Yayforall
Okay, so you acknowledge that this weapon is just a worse Forge Pro then since that weapon doesn't have to avoid strafe duels as it excels in them. And no, all Chargers, the Heavy Splatling, and Rapid Blaster outrange it, and there are weapons with equal range.
All SHOOTERS exept Jet squelcher

Smoothshake317

Pro Squid
Wow, It saddens me how none of you have tried to use this weapon at close range. While this weapon prefers to keep itself at a range so as to out-range opponents, this weapon can dominate weapons that have longer ranges than it. You want to know how? It is called strafing and getting into melee range with them. Basically you are killing them like an Aerospray. Yes, I know I sound like a mad man, but I speak the truth. You are supposed to play this weapon like you would any other shooter. RUN INTO THEIR FACES FOR CRYING OUT LOUD IF YOU NEED TO! If you are not being aggressive at all with this weapon then you are not using it to its fullest. The key with this one is to stay accurate even at close ranges. Also, you guys seem to exaggerate the cooldown time with this weapon. The cool down time with this weapon is the same as that of Splat Roller's flick and the full charge of Bamboozler. It is not that bad. I have been playing without any serious issues with this weapon. The only issue personally I suffered from this was Coldblood users negating my markings.

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow
But I just said the great thing about point sensors is that even if you are unable to splat the target for whatever reason, your whole team gains intel on their position so that they can help finish him/her off or just provide a heads-up.

Stealth abilities are helpful as they help you bide time looking for the ideal opportunity for that perfect shot. Inklings are less likely to move erratically if they feel safe or are busy inking.
Sorry for the late reply.

My post wasn't ignoring/contradicting your points though. It's pointing out the reality that a downside exists; your post just points out the upside. I could take an optimistic approach and post "the great thing about" every weapon and sub (and it shouldn't be hard for anyone either). Optimism is an essential attitude to adopt but at some point you need to acknowledge the downsides too.

Think of it this way and I'm a little sorry for being contrarian: If someone posts an upside, I'd tend to post a realistic downside. If someone posts a downside, I'd tend to post a realistic upside. Just bear in mind the downsides don't negate the upsides and vice versa.

I agree with the part about stealth and erratic movement. Just remember that being stealthy and finding the perfect shot applies to many more weapons than just the H-3.

Reactions: 1o2

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow
Wow, It saddens me how none of you have tried to use this weapon at close range. While this weapon prefers to keep itself at a range so as to out-range opponents, this weapon can dominate weapons that have longer ranges than it. You want to know how? It is called strafing and getting into melee range with them. Basically you are killing them like an Aerospray. Yes, I know I sound like a mad man, but I speak the truth. You are supposed to play this weapon like you would any other shooter. RUN INTO THEIR FACES FOR CRYING OUT LOUD IF YOU NEED TO! If you are not being aggressive at all with this weapon then you are not using it to its fullest. The key with this one is to stay accurate even at close ranges. Also, you guys seem to exaggerate the cooldown time with this weapon. The cool down time with this weapon is the same as that of Splat Roller's flick and the full charge of Bamboozler. It is not that bad. I have been playing without any serious issues with this weapon. The only issue personally I suffered from this was Coldblood users negating my markings.
My play with the H-3 has mostly been aggressive or harassment. I think I did mention finding good success with it in Turf Wars, not so much in ranked. In fact, I did that because someone elsewhere said it'd work best as a stealth weapon and I'm contrarian like that.

Still, in my own experience, it works better in TW because it claims turf relatively quickly (especially big flat spaces like Kelp Dome) and that basically gives you a lot of room to swim in and do aggressive hit and runs. Ranked is a different beast for the most part because of the objectives and it's generally harder for the H-3 to hold it's own there. What I end up doing is try to claim more turf there to reduce enemy mobility and basically suction bombs on the tower are where it's at. Echolocator is relatively pointless for the most part except to refill the tank and locate that one sneaky squid coming for a backstab on the team.

Also, just to riff off of your Splat Roller mention...if I manage to sneak up on 2-3 unsuspecting squids as a roller, I guarantee you I can take them out in lesser time than the H-3 (obviously by rolling over all of them). Essentially, some people measure TTK on a single enemy, I take TTK on multiple enemies into account as well.

Still, I have to put in more time with the H-3D so I can contribute more on that point. My experience has mainly been with H-3 for what it's worth.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
My play with the H-3 has mostly been aggressive or harassment. I think I did mention finding good success with it in Turf Wars, not so much in ranked. In fact, I did that because someone elsewhere said it'd work best as a stealth weapon and I'm contrarian like that.

Still, in my own experience, it works better in TW because it claims turf relatively quickly (especially big flat spaces like Kelp Dome) and that basically gives you a lot of room to swim in and do aggressive hit and runs. Ranked is a different beast for the most part because of the objectives and it's generally harder for the H-3 to hold it's own there. What I end up doing is try to claim more turf there to reduce enemy mobility and basically suction bombs on the tower are where it's at. Echolocator is relatively pointless for the most part except to refill the tank and locate that one sneaky squid coming for a backstab on the team.

Also, just to riff off of your Splat Roller mention...if I manage to sneak up on 2-3 unsuspecting squids as a roller, I guarantee you I can take them out in lesser time than the H-3 (obviously by rolling over all of them). Essentially, some people measure TTK on a single enemy, I take TTK on multiple enemies into account as well.

Still, I have to put in more time with the H-3D so I can contribute more on that point. My experience has mainly been with H-3 for what it's worth.
If so, remember to leave thoughts on the normal H3NN on its respective thread.

Smoothshake317

Pro Squid

The thing is H-3 D is a different beast now that it has the ability to mark opponents who it is facing. This minimizes the problems with hitting fast moving targets and those who plan on flanking you. This weapon can now take a far more aggressive playstyle thanks to the sub weapon alone. Trying to constantly land the one shot burst is a pointless endeavor when your main goal is to end them in no more than two bursts. The whole point of this weapon compared to that of its brother H-3 is that it can be free from a need of subtlety and can adopt the aggressive playstyle of L-3 Nozzlenose. One thing people often forget when using this weapon is that it is a shooter just like every other shooter and uses the same skill set as other shooters. Jumping in example has not let me down in close range engagements. Learning how to align oneself to the motion of the enemy is a basic skill of shooters and it applies to same way with this weapon. Also, an important factor with this weapon that people fail to take advantage of its mobility. The mobility factor of this weapon is well above most shooters who half to hold down their fire as to get the most out of their kill potential. For this weapon it is one burst or two bursts, then you get moving again while in a fight. YOU DON'T JUST SIT THEIR MASHING THE BUTTON HOPING TO HIT YOU TARGET. Get active, start running around with the weapon and maybe you will do well.

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow
The thing is H-3 D is a different beast now that it has the ability to mark opponents who it is facing. This minimizes the problems with hitting fast moving targets and those who plan on flanking you. This weapon can now take a far more aggressive playstyle thanks to the sub weapon alone. Trying to constantly land the one shot burst is a pointless endeavor when your main goal is to end them in no more than two bursts. The whole point of this weapon compared to that of its brother H-3 is that it can be free from a need of subtlety and can adopt the aggressive playstyle of L-3 Nozzlenose. One thing people often forget when using this weapon is that it is a shooter just like every other shooter and uses the same skill set as other shooters. Jumping in example has not let me down in close range engagements. Learning how to align oneself to the motion of the enemy is a basic skill of shooters and it applies to same way with this weapon. Also, an important factor with this weapon that people fail to take advantage of its mobility. The mobility factor of this weapon is well above most shooters who half to hold down their fire as to get the most out of their kill potential. For this weapon it is one burst or two bursts, then you get moving again while in a fight. YOU DON'T JUST SIT THEIR MASHING THE BUTTON HOPING TO HIT YOU TARGET. Get active, start running around with the weapon and maybe you will do well.
I'll give a short reply for now and follow up another time: Your description in the last couple of sentences could jolly well be applied to the L-3s. Only exception being that you need a minimum of 2 bursts if the enemy is at full health. Are you pumping run speed ups on the H-3D by any chance?

And yea, I'll try out some of your pointers with regards to the Point Sensor and see how it goes :)

Reset Bomb Jigglypuff

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Yayforall
THANK YOU

Smoothshake317

Pro Squid
I'll give a short reply for now and follow up another time: Your description in the last couple of sentences could jolly well be applied to the L-3s. Only exception being that you need a minimum of 2 bursts if the enemy is at full health. Are you pumping run speed ups on the H-3D by any chance?

And yea, I'll try out some of your pointers with regards to the Point Sensor and see how it goes :)
The gear set up that I use for this weapon are 1 Ink Saver main and 2 Swim Speeds. The Swim Speeds are so that I can out run shorter range weapons who will try their damnedest to get in a close range fight with me. It also allows me to chase down my longer ranged prey without letting them get away. Remember guys, if you miss a burst, its ok in most situations. However, what you need to do then is readjust the distance between you and your target.

Skepticpunk

Inkster Jr.
NNID
SkepticPunk
Wow, how'd I miss this thread?

Anyway, I really like this weapon so far. It's like the Forge Pro, but with more accuracy and a faster kill time. I could easily see this becoming more prevalent once people learn to use it. It's a bit harder to use, but with proper crosshair placement this thing can be really, really deadly.

I don't get all the people who say that strafing beats it, though. All I have to do is put my crosshair in front of whoever's strafing and pull the trigger. You just have to aim more carefully, that's all.

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow
The gear set up that I use for this weapon are 1 Ink Saver main and 2 Swim Speeds. The Swim Speeds are so that I can out run shorter range weapons who will try their damnedest to get in a close range fight with me. It also allows me to chase down my longer ranged prey without letting them get away. Remember guys, if you miss a burst, its ok in most situations. However, what you need to do then is readjust the distance between you and your target.
Cool! I actually was running with one swim speed up (throw range up and tenacity/special up) for my H-3 previously but went on to try the H-3D with 3 run ups for the sake of it, basically runs as fast as L-3 when not firing it seems.

Also, now I get what you mean about 'giving sight' to the H-3. Point sensor ultimately does allow the H-3D to get more aggressive in most situations. I still quite like the H-3 because of the suction bombs though.

Will play the H-3D more over time as I alternate between it and it's brother hehe.

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow
Wow, how'd I miss this thread?

Anyway, I really like this weapon so far. It's like the Forge Pro, but with more accuracy and a faster kill time. I could easily see this becoming more prevalent once people learn to use it. It's a bit harder to use, but with proper crosshair placement this thing can be really, really deadly.

I don't get all the people who say that strafing beats it, though. All I have to do is put my crosshair in front of whoever's strafing and pull the trigger. You just have to aim more carefully, that's all.
You might be right about aiming at strafers but do realize your experience is still anecdotal. And honestly? Your last three sentences are essentially 'git gud' in disguise. I also think your description of "put my crosshair in front of whoever's strafing and pull the trigger." is more apt at describing actual OHKO weapons like the squiffers (letting go of the trigger yea) or blasters than it is the H-3 (technically 3HKO).

Finally, no I don't really see this weapon taking off that much. It will have its fair share of strong users but definitely not prevalent. I mean, I predicted that the L-3D would become a lot more popular over time but I still rarely see it (a lot more than any other nozzlenoses though). I assume people just rather hold down ZR than have to tap it in accordance to a rhythm, especially when the advantages aren't as obvious or substantial for them.

P.S. Nice Carmageddon avatar there :D

Last edited:
Reactions: 1o2

Skepticpunk

Inkster Jr.
NNID
SkepticPunk
You might be right about aiming at strafers but do realize your experience is still anecdotal.
Well, yeah. I wasn't framing it as anything else, it's just my experiences with the weapon so far.

And honestly? Your last three sentences are essentially 'git gud' in disguise.
Well, kind of. It's more that this weapon requires more precision to be used effectively.

I also think your description of "put my crosshair in front of whoever's strafing and pull the trigger." is more apt at describing actual OHKO weapons like the squiffers (letting go of the trigger yea) or blasters than it is the H-3 (technically 3HKO).
True, but the H3 Nozzlenose fires off its burst quickly enough that tracking isn't needed as much compared to other weapons.

Finally, no I don't really see this weapon taking off that much. It will have its fair share of strong users but definitely not prevalent. I mean, I predicted that the L-3D would become a lot more popular over time but I still rarely see it (a lot more than any other nozzlenoses though). I assume people just rather hold down ZR than have to tap it in accordance to a rhythm, especially when the advantages aren't as obvious or substantial for them.
Yeah, I can see what you mean. It's a pretty hard weapon to use compared to other shooters.

P.S. Nice Carmageddon avatar there :D
Thanks. I think it's a pretty appropriate avatar for things like internet arguments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom