• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Luna Blaster Neo: Analysis and Thoughts

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
Damage Ups for the Neo Luna can still work but in a rather odd way. When a splat bomb explodes, more often than not, there's residual damage that's caused if someone is somewhat close to the blast radius. This can effectively make the Luna's blast radius a 1-hit proportional to your Damage Ups. I believe +25% in Damage Ups (3 mains, 2 subs) will allow a 1-hit at the maximum blast radius (the very tip of the explosion) but 1 main coupled with solid aiming should be more than enough. You might not find too many of these situations but this can give your splat bombs a more useful radius than just the effective kill zone.
Hmmm. Then with the Splat Bomb Rush, that can be very effective, considering that there's tons of residual damage around that, with Damage Ups, have kill potential.

SquiddiamFancyson

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DowntownMountain
Damage up is still noteworthy imo to get a guaranteed max range two shot with splash damage. Accounting for defense ups in the metagame, the Luna can be reduced to a 3 shot assuming you're against an agile opponent that dips into ink the moment the first shot connects (which good opponents will do).

Yeah, you could get a one shot which doesn't require any damage ups in any circumstances, but with the Luna being a sneaky weapon that abuses corners and terrain to clip people that can't retaliate, I think it's worth running a main or two of damage up to guarantee the two shot when a one shot isn't possible.

curry time

Senior Squid
NNID
NobleCactus
Damage up is still noteworthy imo to get a guaranteed max range two shot with splash damage. Accounting for defense ups in the metagame, the Luna can be reduced to a 3 shot assuming you're against an agile opponent that dips into ink the moment the first shot connects (which good opponents will do).

Yeah, you could get a one shot which doesn't require any damage ups in any circumstances, but with the Luna being a sneaky weapon that abuses corners and terrain to clip people that can't retaliate, I think it's worth running a main or two of damage up to guarantee the two shot when a one shot isn't possible.
Having no Damage Ups vs an enemy with two or more Defense Up mains also turns the AoE into a 3hko.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
I think I'll be doing this for every thread I make, mainly because I think it sparks interesting strategies with the weapon. Anyways, here are some abilities that I would personally recomend for the LBN:

Stackable:
Run Speed Up
Bomb Range Up
Quick Respawn
Quick Super Jump
Defense Up

Main-Exclusive:

Opening Gambit
Haunt
Comeback
Ninja Squid

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I'm not sure if it's just me, but I prefer to encounter this version more than the standard one. It could be because it doesn't have the insta-gib Inkzooka, so there's potential for counterplay, which actually creates a fun enviroment where both players can exploit their advantages and actually play the game instead of pressing one button and calling it a day... hey, that rhymed :ability_damage:

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
I'm not sure if it's just me, but I prefer to encounter this version more than the standard one. It could be because it doesn't have the insta-gib Inkzooka, so there's potential for counterplay, which actually creates a fun enviroment where both players can exploit their advantages and actually play the game instead of pressing one button and calling it a day... hey, that rhymed :ability_damage:
No, it's not just you. This weapon's playstyle is entirely offensive and encourages its users to rush down all targets at hand. Every option is for pushing territory back. A great map control set, if I do say so myself.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
No, it's not just you. This weapon's playstyle is entirely offensive and encourages its users to rush down all targets at hand. Every option is for pushing territory back. A great map control set, if I do say so myself.
I might be reading it wrong, but I didn't mean that I use the weapon myself. I'm mostly a Heavy Splatling user; I can't really play offensively :confused:

vtroid5

Full Squid
NNID
vtroid5
I think I'll be doing this for every thread I make, mainly because I think it sparks interesting strategies with the weapon. Anyways, here are some abilities that I would personally recomend for the LBN:

Stackable:
Run Speed Up
Bomb Range Up
Quick Respawn
Quick Super Jump
Defense Up

Main-Exclusive:

Opening Gambit
Haunt
Comeback
Ninja Squid
I can see how many of these could be applicable depending on play style.

Maybe it's just me, but imo swim speed is really important with this weapon. I would venture to say it is a lot more crucial than run speed and also makes ninja squid difficult to use with this weapon.

I like to pressure from afar (with bomb range up) with splatbombs and then swim in and out for shots. I don't really see the luna blaster as a strafing / run speed type of weapon due to its range.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
I can see how many of these could be applicable depending on play style.

Maybe it's just me, but imo swim speed is really important with this weapon. I would venture to say it is a lot more crucial than run speed and also makes ninja squid difficult to use with this weapon.

I like to pressure from afar (with bomb range up) with splatbombs and then swim in and out for shots. I don't really see the luna blaster as a strafing / run speed type of weapon due to its range.
Well, Swim Speed Up CAN counter the speed nerf of Ninja Squid if enough is stacked. Even though I don't use the ability myself, whenever I play around with it, I always stack some Swim Speed Ups so I can counter the speed decrease.

curry time

Senior Squid
NNID
NobleCactus
NInja Squid ain't that great. You can replicate the no-ripple swimming by just slowly moving your stick in squid form, and Ninja squid neither eliminates ripples when climbing walls nor removes the ripple noise. Plus, you can still get tagged by Sensors and Echo. Just run Cold Blooded instead if you want to be sneaky. It may not come into play every match, but you will be very, very glad you have it when you do fight an Echo or an Echo chain (which happens much more at high ranks). This especially true for weapons like the Luna that need to get in close to kill.

For that same reason, swim speed is great on the Luna.

Lance17

Inkling
I use the Luna Blaster Neo a lot and I love it. I love the splat bombs and bomb rush and I think it is very good for killing your opponents. It is my favorite blaster type weapon and I use it more than any other weapon. I usually have Bomb Range Up and Quick Respawn when I am using the Luna Blaster Neo. ;)

Main Weapons: Luna Blaster Neo, Rapid Blaster Pro, Custom Splattershot Jr, Aerospray MG/RG

Banksii

Inkling
NNID
tfw2ndwiiu
:wst_shot_expshort00:-vanilla or neo

:head_hdp001: :ability_inksaversub: with :ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge:
:clothes_tes016::ability_haunt: with :ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage:
:shoes_shi005::ability_inkresistance: with :ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed: or :shoes_shi002::ability_stealthjump:with :ability_quicksuperjump::ability_quicksuperjump::ability_quicksuperjump:

Thoughts on that setup?

Hikaru54

Pro Squid
NNID
Dillator
:wst_shot_expshort00:-vanilla or neo

:head_hdp001: :ability_inksaversub: with :ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge:
:clothes_tes016::ability_haunt: with :ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage:
:shoes_shi005::ability_inkresistance: with :ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed: or :shoes_shi002::ability_stealthjump:with :ability_quicksuperjump::ability_quicksuperjump::ability_quicksuperjump:

Thoughts on that setup?
Your build is a bit of a mish mash of other builds in one. Stealth Jump Build, Damage Swim Build. Etc. I would recommend you to focus on one stat instead of giving every stat a small boost.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom