Neutrals/Counterpicks/Bans For map selection in tournaments thread

Kbot

Full-time TO
Event Organizer
Only gametypes that have problems are rainmaker and turf war and I don't think anyone would miss either. SZ and TC are fine on all maps.
I'm sorry, I didn't clarify. As far as gametypes, I don't mean modes, I mean the map + mode combination. If we don't like RM Rig, let's keep an eye on it for the future. If we don't like Blackbelly RM, let's keep an eye on it. etc.

Typhlosion09

Pro Squid
NNID
Typhlosion09
Okay my opinion, don't hate.
Eliter is good, but not OP.
Moray is a stage that isn't so nice towards competitive play, but there are worse and no maps should be banned. At all.
Eliter on moray is pretty much what flc said. Can't push, help team, etc. Yes at first it's good on that one sniper spot, but fall behind or get ahead and the eliter is stuck in a bad situation. Again basically a 3v4. Even on SZ where the objective doesn't move and is in a good spot for the eliter, it isn't an OP weapon in the slightest. No weapons are. No map/mode combo is. Nothing should be banned.

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
Hear me out for a second. It's good to think about what stages to ban, but not to ban them yet. We're in early stages of the game, yes, I agree with you that we shall not ban now. However, if no solution comes up in some of these gametypes with problems, we'll have to ban them. It's not to say that we must ban now, it's to say that we should be having specific gametypes on our radar.
The problem with Rainmaker is that if you ban 1 map because of stalling you would have to ban almost all maps for the same reason.

Aweshucks

Kinda a loser
Event Organizer
NNID
Aweshucks
Which is why we shouldn't ban maps because of stalling, we should just ban stalling (pending rigorous testing, of course). It's usually fairly obvious when a team is stalling

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
You get into convoluted rule sets you get people that try to manipulate them and complain about losing. You shouldn't have to create your own rules to make something work. Stalling is a viable and fair strategy. That does not mean it's enjoyable to play though, which is why modes are banned to begin with.

Aweshucks

Kinda a loser
Event Organizer
NNID
Aweshucks
Modes aren't banned because they aren't fun to play...

And we can have the debate about whether stalling is fair at a different time, I was just saying that if we were going to ban maps because of stalling it would be a better course of action to ban the act of stalling instead.

And I don't think that it would be too convoluted of a rule. "A team may not keep the rainmaker in one place for longer than [period of time] without making a genuine attempt to move it forward" or even just "teams are not allowed to stall. Interpretation of this rule is up to the TO's discretion"

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
Rainmaker requires you to move forward and back and try to juke the opposite team, which can easily be viewed by anyone as stalling, especially by people who have something to gain from pulling a penalty on the opposing team. Half of moving forward with the rainmaker is based stalling and opening up a path to move forward.

I said enjoyable, not fun. Enjoyable means many different things for both players and spectators.

Poyo

Senior Squid
NNID
Poyoarya
Has stalling proven to be a big problem in competitive play, not just hypothetically?
So far, not yet. Because there's no really good way to stall in Splatoon given the selection of relatively balanced weapons and mostly balanced maps, especially in the 4v4 format where stalling will just get your team killed.

Of course, uncoordinated teams might have a problem with the team trapping them in their base in maps like Urchin Underpass, but that's their own fault; they're uncoordinated.

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
I think stalling is only viable in the last minute anyways. Usually stalling requires hiding in a pathway that is hard for the opposing team to get to, but that spot usually is very close to their own base. This risks getting taken out and and an opportunity to lose the match. Plus the match is 5 min long, both teams had several chances to give it their best shot. If you cant handle gettin stalled the last minute, you shouldnt have allowed the opposition to be at a position to take it anyway
Edit: of course saltspray was that exception

Captain Norris

Inkling Commander
Stalling can work if an opponent takes you out, which causes the rainmaker to drop. If at that time, such as on saltsrpay, your team is in the big area, all they need to do is make sure the opponents do not reach the big area. Simple enough. You don't necessarily have to hold the rainmaker to stall.

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
There's plenty of other maps with smaller and more effective stall points than saltspray.

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
Stalling can work if an opponent takes you out, which causes the rainmaker to drop. If at that time, such as on saltsrpay, your team is in the big area, all they need to do is make sure the opponents do not reach the big area. Simple enough. You don't necessarily have to hold the rainmaker to stall.
ahhhhh now that makes sense. Question, if you explode with the RM because timer ran out. Does the RM go back to the middle? If not then yes you could leave it there. Knowing this however, an organized squad would check the surrounding area to make sure they aren't about to get baited and taken out to further the stalling. A team could prepare an echo for this

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
You can just jump off with it. If you're not past the trigger mark it won't reset to mid.

Citrus

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Sylvalum
RM pretty much is just stalling, you're not just going to rush into the goal at every time you grab the damn thing

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
You literally can not stall in Rainmaker until the last minute because the rainmaker will explode and respawn in your favor if you just leave the camping rainmaker alive.

You can only loae to mid-match rainmaker stalling if you kill the rainmaker.

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
You literally can not stall in Rainmaker until the last minute because the rainmaker will explode and respawn in your favor if you just leave the camping rainmaker alive.

You can only loae to mid-match rainmaker stalling if you kill the rainmaker.
If you push to 2x in majority of maps you can stall the rest of the game.

Citrus

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Sylvalum
And besides the whole stalling thing, RM is still **** tier because really you just cheese it and that's it

WydrA

Inkling Commander
Stalling was banned in SSBB under pretty much exactly the definition Aweshucks gave. You know it when you see it.
Also, contrary to popular belief, it's essentially the real reason walkoff stages are banned in smash. t means people can just stand at the edge of the stage and wait for you to approach, shield grab, and throw you to your death.

Also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Running_out_the_clock pay special attention to the basketball section.

So yeah, trying to stop people from stalling is far from unheard of. It may be a "genuine" way of inning, but it's crappy, boring, uninteresting one that is generally not respected and actively rooted out if possible.
Also, once again, esports means we have to think about spectators as well as players. Stalling is beyond boring to watch and will turn spectators away. That's not to say it won't turn players away as well by the way. It will.
It may not be a problem yet, but it's one of the few things I would support preemptive action against. It's better to just not even let people start entertaining the idea than have to have some big debate later down the road with people who only care about winning their matches... in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom